2024-04-28, 16:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Smoking: Rated R?  (Read 6885 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2004-06-03, 03:21 »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,121485,00.html

Films in which actors light up may soon receive the same branding as nipple flashes and cursing: Lawmakers are looking to extinguish, or at least regulate, smoking on the big screen.

This is just retarded. An R rating is intended to tell soccer moms that their kids shouldn't be watching the movie.  Things like peoples heads getting ripped off and excessive use of curse words rate an "R" to me. Gratuitous sex and nudity should as well, but I'd rather my kids see a boob than someone trying to stuff his own intestines back in.

However, I can walk down the street and see people smoking. My next door neighbor sits on her porch and smokes. Lilazzkicker smokes. My boss smokes. A good 50% of the people I know smoke.

Smoking isn't indecent. It may be a nasty habit, but it's not offensive.

Stupid right-wing extremists.

Disclaimer for the Europeans
We americans 'rate' our movies based on content so that people know what to expect, and can avoid anything that may offend them

An "R" rating is currently given to anything with extreme violence, excessive cursing, nudity or sex.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-06-03, 04:09 »

Well, I find it offensive and indecent in and of itself, however it is a practice that is generally accepted to occur in public.  Nipple flashes and entrailing of people is not.  That to me should be the distinction between an R-rated film and PG-13 and less.  If you can do it legally in public or it's otherwise common place for those younger than 17 to see in public then it should not warrant the rating.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-06-03, 11:52 »

If people can be so stupid to turn nudity into something that is 'bad' and must be kept from people 'or it will destroy their <whatever>ness', I don't see why they shouldn't do it with smoking. Or coughing loudly. Or making cheeks pop with a finger. Or people being sad. Or words that have letters in them that could be interpreted as offensive images if seen from very far away with your eyes closed to slits and after drinking a horrible amount of beer. Why not?
I'm not going to be the one who's going to pay attention to bloody moronic R ratings, ever, anyway :]

Note: We have have age-ratings for movies here. Nobody really pays attention to that, however. I've yet to run into someone that is 17 and would wait a whole year before seeing something rated "18". Ofcourse, I don't hang out with a whole lot of 17-yr olds anymore ;]
« Last Edit: 2004-06-03, 11:55 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-06-03, 14:17 »

Quote from: Tabun
If people can be so stupid to turn nudity into something that is 'bad' and must be kept from people 'or it will destroy their ness'
Slipgate - Off Topic Sorry, but I don't want to see you humans staggering around naked in public!  I would think that even in countries where nudity is more generally accepted there are people you'd rather see covered head to toe.  Slipgate - Smirk

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2004-06-03, 14:44 »

This isn't about nudity. Like ir or not, America seems to think that naked people are a bad thing.
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2004-06-03, 15:43 »

I will continue to smoke cigars in public and if some activest mother is worried about the effect it might have on her children she should be more concern of the effect it will have on her if i put it out on her forehead.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #6 on: 2004-06-03, 16:23 »

This is an act of pure stupidity. What's so bad about seeing someone smoking??? What's wrong with this people??? My dad smokes and I don't get offended just because he's smoking! It's annoying, but not offensive...

Imagine:

-MOM that man is smoking in front of my face. DESTROY HIM!!!!!!!!!
-You're right son!

?"?"!#!BANG!"!"#!$!#%

« Last Edit: 2004-06-03, 16:24 by [KruzadeR] » Logged

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2004-06-03, 16:53 »

Disclaimer for the Europeans
We americans 'rate' our movies based on content so that people know what to expect, and can avoid anything that may offend them

An "R" rating is currently given to anything with extreme violence, excessive cursing, nudity or sex.

:p we do that to ,only we dont keep ourselves to it . :p

about smoking , it is not offending in any way .

but it is offending to smoke on places you arent allowed to smoke .
I also find it anoying to hang around with people that smoke since they stink like hell. and if your in somekind of place like a dancing or a tavern and you come out stinking to smoke altough you dont smoke .
and it takes ya a week to get the complete smell out of the jacked , yes then I hate smokers .
« Last Edit: 2004-06-04, 19:59 by games keeper » Logged
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #8 on: 2004-06-05, 05:35 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Slipgate - Off Topic Sorry, but I don't want to see you humans staggering around naked in public!
Sorry to break it to you, but all humans were and still are BORN naked. And humans lived naked happily for a few thousand, maybe even million, years.
« Last Edit: 2004-06-05, 05:40 by Footman » Logged
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2004-06-05, 14:46 »

yes , its the freedom man , the freedom .

give your body the space that it diserves .
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #10 on: 2004-06-05, 16:13 »

Im pretty much sure they never really lived naked, considering we are HAIRLESS....climates are a bitch, or have you forgotten?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2004-06-06, 01:06 »

There are a few (read:  ONE OR TWO) primitive tribes still roaming around the jungles in South America that wear no clothes.  The environment is tropical, it does not ever get cold, and this particular breed of human is practically impervious to insect bites.  They also eat carrion.  Other than that, you hairless apes have always covered yourselves with something.  If the cold doesn't get you the bugs do.  So you see, I'm not just against public nudity for decency reasons and the fact that you're butt-ugly.  I'm also looking out for your best interests.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2004-06-06, 03:10 »

If we're talking offensive here, I know people that are by themselves an offense to mankind. I hereby Tabun-rate them R. :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #13 on: 2004-06-06, 03:35 »

Quote from: Lilazzkicker
Im pretty much sure they never really lived naked, considering we are HAIRLESS....climates are a bitch, or have you forgotten?
idk about you, but im DEFINATELY not hairless... being scottish n all.. although we used to wear kilts n such, that was about ALL we wore ;-)
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #14 on: 2004-06-06, 12:11 »

kilts , now that is freedom I need .

/me goes out to buy some kilts
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: