2024-04-26, 14:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Mappers Wanted?  (Read 10541 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2004-06-29, 10:55 »

I wasn't aware of it, but apparently we're looking for mappers! If you're an experienced mapper willing to remake old maps or create new ones with a GenArena theme, send me an email at confusedus@wireheadstudios.org or reply to this news post (no login necessary).
Black Dog

« Reply #1 on: 2004-07-01, 15:58 »

I've been interested in doing a Quake-2 themed vQ3 map for a little while now, and it seems logical to work that in with Generations. The idea of being able to use Strogg weaponry seems especially fitting, and I'd love to contribute to the mod if I can work up something of sufficient quality.

Since you guys will have some experience playing the mod, perhaps you can give me some info relevant to design.

:What's the typical player load on a Generations FFA server?
:Are the maps ever used for serious 1v1?
:Do you have a preference for or against larger areas/long LOS due to balance issues (the absence of a high-damage hitscan weapon in the Doom and Slipgate classes)? Has that been an issue during actual play?
:What maps do you currently enjoy playing on, and why do you think they work well for this mod?

Love your work guys. Thumbs up!

OT: love the Quake-themed smilies too. Class.
Black Dog

« Reply #2 on: 2004-07-01, 16:00 »

Er, inadvertent smiley there.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-07-01, 16:05 »

Quote from: Black Dog
:What's the typical player load on a Generations FFA server?
:Are the maps ever used for serious 1v1?
:Do you have a preference for or against larger areas/long LOS due to balance issues (the absence of a high-damage hitscan weapon in the Doom and Slipgate classes)? Has that been an issue during actual play?
:What maps do you currently enjoy playing on, and why do you think they work well for this mod?

Love your work guys. Thumbs up!

OT: love the Quake-themed smilies too. Class.
Player Load: On a normal night, 3-8. On Forum game nights, we can fill a server sometimes.

Larger areas are fine, as long as there's corridors where the doom guys and slipgaters can get out of sight of a railwhore. And doom's chaingun is nasty if you're accurate with it.

My favorite maps are Iron Yard and Scrap Metal ][. Both offer a good mix of tight corridors and long-range, as well as a bit of vertical fighting.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2004-07-01, 16:09 »

And by the way, themed maps are more what we're looking for than remakes. We have most of the q2 maps in-progress or already done. We'll have a damn good Warehouse and Pits in the next release, we hope!

« Reply #5 on: 2004-07-01, 17:00 »

Thanks.

An original map using EQ2 textures is what I had in mind. Sounds like that's suitable, so I'll get to work.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2004-07-01, 22:28 »

Awesome!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...

« Reply #7 on: 2004-07-04, 09:30 »

I don't consider myself experienced at all... but hey, I am working on map. I've been working on it for the last 2 years+ now and already have one in a map pack. In all seriousness though, I think this current project will be my last map......although I said that after making q1dm4v2 as well...

HeadBanging ~SpAwN~ HeadBanging

Slipgate - Ownage
ROADKILL

Spectre

« Reply #8 on: 2004-07-08, 00:28 »

what kind of theme's are you looking for?
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2004-07-08, 03:35 »

Actually right now, we seem to really be lacking in Earth-themed maps. If anyone wants to work on something that looks like Wolf3D and has the flow & gameplay of q3, please by all means go for it! We'll support you with any questions you may have along the way.
WolfWings

« Reply #10 on: 2004-07-08, 20:21 »

Hrm... by Wolf3D-like, you simply mean a realistic, castle-like level without sci-fi bits, and not a 90-degree-angles-only level, I'm assuming. Slipgate - Wink

Any complaints with a simple three-floor, three-story tall, two-tier (inner keep, outer wall) castle with some damage blown through the level in places?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2004-07-08, 20:26 »

That'll be fine Wolfwings, but make it as Wolf3d-ish as possible.

On an related note, it'd be interesting to see just how creative people could get with 90 degree only designs. I wonder if I could work out a contest with quake3world or something.

Hmmmm

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2004-07-08, 20:34 »

Well, looking back at Wolf3D I remember tinkering around with some crazy maps using WolfEdit.  It's far easier to be diabolical for a single player game that way though.

Remember too that a map could be made with a Wolf 3D-ish area in it without being a complete Wolf 3D-ish map.  You could have a basement, or secret area to that effect, or the map could be made with a 90 degree floor plan layout with embelishments added, such as arched doorways, cracked stones, torches on the walls, etc.  Just because the floor plan is 90 degrees doesn't mean it has to be 512x512 units with completely flat walls and no elevation.  Most buildings as far as I know also use 90 degree layouts for walls.  You humans seem enamored with square things, so there should be no trouble making a castle-like structure that way.  You could also do a pretty creepy dungeon/labyrinth setup with the right layout.  Remember those vines that could block your view from Wolf?  Anyone ever play Episode 6's secret level, with the zombie maze?  I think there's a lot smeone could do with a Wolf-ish layout if they take the time to dress it up.
« Last Edit: 2004-07-08, 20:36 by Phoenix » Logged

WolfWings

« Reply #13 on: 2004-07-08, 21:09 »

Very well explained, Phoenix.

And actually what I had in mind, mostly. For instance, I'll probably build the castle with rectangular turrets instead of stereotypical 'round' ones.

Though now that you mention it... I think I can use the view-obscuring vines in the level as well, if I raze most of the keep proper down to the ground, leave one level or so intact, and lots of vinework grown over the remains.

Right now, I'm thinking the 'keep' itself will be mostly rubble now, at most one floor 'playably' intact above 'ground level' but with a small bit of catacombs under the keep and courtyard. Most of the turrets (one will be smashed to the ground) around the courtyard leading up to the wall of the castle itself. Keep itself would be about the size of the 'main platform' on Q3DM17, whole level about 1.5x as wide, and about 2.5x as long overall. Little 'level over level' but a good amount of vertical factor and both closed-in cooridor fighting and open-air rail-happy areas.
ROADKILL

Spectre

« Reply #14 on: 2004-07-10, 06:02 »

I've actually already have a castle map roughed in and playable
that could be used as a starter.
the texture's would have to be changed out for wolf textures.
I emailed screenies to phoenix a while back.
If you want to take a look at it let me know.

« Last Edit: 2004-07-10, 07:11 by ROADKILL » Logged
ROADKILL

Spectre

« Reply #15 on: 2004-07-10, 20:48 »

what officail Gen  texture packs do we have for doing Gen maps?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2004-07-10, 22:10 »

Ahh, I was wondering whatever happened to this map.

At present, we don't have any official texture packs, however Tabun has a texture thread stickied in the Laced Neptune forum that has some material available.

ROADKILL

Spectre

« Reply #17 on: 2004-07-11, 01:21 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Ahh, I was wondering whatever happened to this map.

At present, we don't have any official texture packs, however Tabun has a texture thread stickied in the Laced Neptune forum that has some material available.
I've been busy doing MAX and Zbrush Modeling for ut2004.
I have all of the tools to do 3dmodels except a wacom tablet.
that's next.
since I've been doing ut2004 mapping ,static meshes and vehicles
I'm probably going to take a crack at custom models in my quake3 maps
in the future.
I'm still real light on making textures.
materials in max are easier to set up than creating textures in photoshop for me.
if you want me to finish this map or if you just want to use it as a starting point
let me know.
Wow, that castle is a lot furthe

« Reply #18 on: 2004-07-11, 23:40 »

Well, a lot further along than mine. I'd post screenshots, but I'm visiting my girlfriend this weekend, so I don't have my computer with me. =^.^=

I've mostly got the outer wall structure figured out, and I'm finishing up the 'tower' design I'd re-use around the outer area. Finding a good texture set is going to be the only real obstacle, I'll probably end up using HFX's Evil7 set with some Rorscharch and some of the textures from Tabun's thread for some bits.

Or should I just kick back and let this other level get used? Or would both benig made be good too? :-)
WolfWings

« Reply #19 on: 2004-07-11, 23:43 »

Grr... okay, my girlfriend officially has a very wierd computer, with a very pug-ugly wireless keyboard that just doesn't type right. Fah, last post was by me, with a wierd browser plugin resulting in the duplicaetd subject/name, near as I can tell. :-P
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: