2024-04-29, 06:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with Decidia (I'm having trouble running it)  (Read 5801 times)
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« on: 2004-07-31, 21:49 »

Slipgate - Distraught I'm having trouble running the map Decidia.  Everytime I try to run it, it gives me a message reading:

"Hunk_AllocateTempMemory: failed on 484064"

Can anyone help me figure out how to get the map running?  It looks like an awsome map from the screen shots I've seen.

If it helps, I'm using Windows XP, a Pentium 4 with 2.54 Ghz, 512 MB of Ram, and my video card is a NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600.

-JL
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-07-31, 21:53 »

Oh dear, a memalloc error?

I hardly dare ask.. but is your com_hunkmegs set properly? With the right setting, and those 512 megs 'o ram, it should be working just fine, methinks.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #2 on: 2004-07-31, 21:56 »

I'm unsure whether or not they are set properly, but Decidia seems to be the only map which doesn't work.  Everything else runs wonderfully  Slipgate - Grin .  

How do I adjust them and what should I adjust them to?

-JL
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-07-31, 22:41 »

Unusual behavior
If the game behaves in unusual ways check your installation above. If you have missing models or begin showing the wrong models for a certain class be sure to check your com_hunkmegs setting from the console. Com_hunkmegs should be a minimum of 96. We recommend 128 or higher.

Rule of the thumb: set it no higher than 3/4 of your available ram, and I've been told bad things happen if it goes above 256, in any case. Although I cannot confirm the latter, I'm running com_hunkmegs 192 on my machine, and I have 512 Mb ram, like yourself. Thus, if I were you, I'd go for 192.

This is how you set it:

com_hunkmegs - The most important command in Generations. Due to the increased memory requirements of Generations, your Quake3 "com_hunkmegs" setting MUST be increased from the Quake3 default of 56. With 128 megs of system memory, players should set their com_hunkmegs to 92. Players with more memory should set com_hunkmegs to 128 or higher, but no more than 3/4ths of your total system RAM.

This command has only become more important in newer releases. As more and more media is created for the game, more and more memory must be allocated to it. Generations Arena loads, on average, over four times the data of vanilla Quake3.

To set com_hunkmegs either set the variable in your q3config.cfg file
-or-
Create a shortcut to Generations Arena with the following arguments:
quake3.exe +set fs_game generations +set com_hunkmegs 128

NOTE: DO NOT run Generations Arena by selecting it through the "MODS" menu of Quake3. This will reset your settings (including com_hunkmegs) to the default values of Quake3. If at any time models begin to defer (like seeing a Doom Chainsaw when you have a Machinegun), your com_hunkmegs are too low.

If that doesn't fix it, let us know.

Quotes taken from the Gen Arena manual, which you should have been reading, instead ;]
« Last Edit: 2004-07-31, 22:42 by Tabun » Logged

Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #4 on: 2004-07-31, 22:48 »

Ack sorry!  I'm usually good at reading FAQs or Manuals before asking tech questions.

Sucess!  Decidia works!  Beautiful.  Props to whomever made it.

Thanks Tab for your help  Thumbs up!

-JL
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2004-07-31, 22:52 »

Glad to read it worked, np mate.

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2004-07-31, 22:59 »

just for a note , the same problem occurs when you play gen on the team arena terrain maps .

mpterra1
mpterra2
mpterra3

( just so you guys would know )
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2004-07-31, 23:22 »

Um, no.  MpTerra 1 and 3 work fine, I've tested them myself.  MpTerra2 causes a z_malloc failure, not a hunk_alloc failure.  This is uncorrectable since com_zonemegs never unlatches no matter what you try to set it to.  The map is just too big and Q3 can't handle Gen's code file and the map at the same time.  Unless Id puts out another Q3 version that fixes this it appears MpTerra2 will remain unplayable.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2004-07-31, 23:52 »

...And if im not wrong we are doing this mod for quake 3 not team arena?
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #9 on: 2004-07-31, 23:58 »

Quote from: Tabun
I've been told bad things happen if it goes above 256, in any case. Although I cannot confirm the latter, ...
FYI, I run com_hunkmegs 512 and I've never had anything bad happen.  

I know, I don't NEED 512 but...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #10 on: 2004-08-01, 00:36 »

reboot , ever tried to aim the earth sniper on mpterra1 ? or firing doom rockets at an opponent , its on those maps that the classes have major handicaps and skills .
« Last Edit: 2004-08-01, 00:37 by games keeper » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2004-08-01, 08:49 »

Reboot:  True, but I want map compatibility with Team Arena for 1.0.  Playing Gen on those big terrain maps is freaking insane!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #12 on: 2004-08-05, 17:11 »

I have my com_ hunkmegs set at 400 (I have 640MB RAM) and haven't had any problems.

Apart from MPTerra2 (I have enough trouble with that map in standard TA, never mind Gen).
« Last Edit: 2004-08-05, 17:14 by scalliano » Logged

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: