2024-03-29, 13:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Video-game Collections (Yay or Nay)  (Read 7427 times)
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« on: 2004-08-30, 20:29 »

So... have at it. Slipgate - Smile

Personally, I really do wish more companies would release collections of their older titles or previous games in a particular series.  As much fun as it is to relive classics on the original machines they were designed for, it's a pain in the ass to dig out older systems and hook them up.  My older systems are also starting to break down; the games will probably start to break down in another five to ten years as well.

Being able to play through an entire series on a single machine is not only convenient, but it's also cost effective for those wanting to collect an entire series. :p  I now can play the entire Final Fantasy series save 3, Mystic Quest, and Crystal Chronicles on my PS2.  I can play the entire Legend of Zelda and Metroid series on my Gamecube, and I can play most  of the games in the Sonic the Hedgehog series, and a large amount of the games in the Mario Bros. series provided that I have the Gameboy Player accessory for my Gamecube.  I don't wish for every new generation of console systems to rehash the same games and throw them into a collection, but I do not mind every two or three generations or so.

BiGRoB85

Gladiator

« Reply #1 on: 2004-08-31, 00:22 »

I do think that re-releasing classic video games is somewhat important.  It will help show younger gamers what kinds of games they missed out on.  It's not their fault that they didn't get a chance to play, say, the original Final Fantasy, or the first Metroid.  It definitely is a great service by game companies to provide older games remade for newer systems.  It also gives, in some cases, these companies a chance to add in new features that may have been imagined for the original version, but never made it in for whatever reason, or to fix bugs that were in the original version.

-BigRob85

(Not so) Proudly turning dual gats into BFGs since 2004!
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2004-08-31, 01:20 »

It kind of depends if those old games were any good. Also, if they come in a packaged deal, that'd be awesome too.... Fallout 1 and 2 came in a nice package for about $10 so I picked that up - very worthwhile.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-08-31, 04:42 »

They're good.  Case in point - The Kilrathi Saga.  Newer machines couldn't play the original Wing Commander and Wing Commander II because the CPU's were too fast and these games were made prior to games having internal frequency clocks.  Good games that were updated to Windows 95 (at the time) compatibility were now playable again.  Of course, Dosbox now enables you to play a lot of old games, but what if you don't HAVE the originals or there's no new source ports to bring things into post Windows 9x era compatibility?  I also bought the Duke Nukem Kill-A-Ton collection a few years back.  I played everything, from Duke 1 and 2 through Duke 3d and Duke it out in DC.  Budget gamers like getting a LOT of stuff for a little money, and people with older systems (ahem) who can't run the latest and greatest get something they can play.

Also, I would have not played Quake 2 had it not been for losing my Spear of Destiny disks.  I had to buy the Wolfenstein collection ($9 at the time) to get Spear back, and it included a demo of Quake 2.  That's right, marketing potential for your current titles!  Well, I loved the Quake 2 demo, enough that I forgot about playing spear and bought Quake 2 instead.  See?  Demos work.  I hated Quake 1, and since I hated Q1 I had no interest in Q2, expecting it to be more of the same.  Since Id included the Q2 demo and I decided to play it they sold me not one game, but TWO.  How's that for effective marketing?

And without Quake 2, well, I'd not be working on Generations Arena, so there's a lesson in this.  Sometimes losing a disk can be an overall positive experience, and bundled old games can lead to good things.
 Slipgate - Laugh

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #4 on: 2004-08-31, 10:36 »

I like game collections. I think there should be more of them. BUT i think that before releasing Game Collections, they should improve the graphics. For example, I bought the RTCW Collector's edition (or something like that) and besides RTCW, there was Wolf3D. It was a bit disapointing when I found out that it was only the original version! They could improve the game engine and add 3d models... . Anyway, there should be more games collections. ID game collection, Sonic game collection, Final Fantasy collection...etc.

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2004-08-31, 12:17 »

i got rtcw GOTY edition ( with wolf3d ) and doom 3 collectors edition . both of them are awesome . because you get more then what you payed for .

double the games double the fun .
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #6 on: 2004-08-31, 13:00 »

I would really like to see an Elder Scrolls collection. I have both Arena and Dagger fall which are hard enought to find as it is but there is also Redgaurd and battlespire which are impossible to find. Even if i could find these games i wouldnt be able to play them in windows anyway so modern ports would be very nice indeed. till then i guess ill just play Arena and dagger fall on my dos box.
Genialus

Shambler

« Reply #7 on: 2004-08-31, 17:20 »

I just wish that daggerfall would be re-released with the option of a higher res. I played daggerfall for a loong time

and arena isn't at all hard to find no more Bethesda is GIVING (yes giving) it away at their site due to the 10th aniversary of TES.
http://www.elderscrolls.com/index.php

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #8 on: 2004-08-31, 19:27 »

I agree about improving the visuals, Wolf3D could benefit a lot from a bit of Direct3D-ness. Perhaps some ceiling and floor textures even! Plus, it would help prevent all those younger gamers dismissing it out of hand saying "that looks shite!"

Better still, how's about id releasing a version of Q2 with a proper installer that actually recognises WinXP, thus saving a lot of future gamers the bullshit that I had to go through to get it running?

BTW you've already got an id game collection ...
« Last Edit: 2004-08-31, 19:29 by scalliano » Logged

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2004-08-31, 23:03 »

euhm wolf3d doesnt have a ceiling or a floor .
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2004-08-31, 23:28 »

I like the idea of collections. I went out and got the Q1,2,3 pack to play gen, otherwise I woun't have Q2. By the way, I have just bought something called 'aliens of gold' which runs on the wolf 3D engine at a boot fair, anybody heard of this? I also got a 2x floppy disc copy of Doom, ver 1.66, in really good nick. never seen this before.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #11 on: 2004-09-01, 20:31 »

Quote from: games keeper
euhm wolf3d doesnt have a ceiling or a floor .
Exactly.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #12 on: 2004-09-01, 23:16 »

I really wish whoever created the GBA port of Wolfenstein 3D would have included the bazooka and the flame thrower as well as throw in a multi-player mode.   That would have kicked ass. Slipgate - Sad
« Last Edit: 2004-09-01, 23:16 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #13 on: 2004-09-21, 04:00 »

You know what? If they make these collections, they should update it to be compatible with modern systems. It pisses me off to no end that I can't run Krondor or X-com.
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #14 on: 2004-09-23, 16:08 »

I like game collections, it just pisses me off when game companies half-ass them or leave things just out of laziness. For example, I say there's no reason why Final Fantasy 3 should have been left out of FF Origins, even if 1 and 2 were allready on the wonderswan. Likewise, the lack of FF4 in the FF Antholgies was only rectified by the fact they needed a game to package with Chrono Trigger later on. But most of all Capcom pisses me off with game collections. They just released a version of Street Fighter 2 and SF3 Third Strike for PS2. For a while they said it would have online play. Finally, an online Capcom fighter for PS2, and an incentive to buy these games when I allready own them for  PS1 and Dreamcast. But no such luck, they canned online play at the lasy minute.
BiGRoB85

Gladiator

« Reply #15 on: 2004-09-23, 19:31 »

Quote from: Gnam
For example, I say there's no reason why Final Fantasy 3 should have been left out of FF Origins, even if 1 and 2 were allready on the wonderswan.

I agree with you 100%.  I hope FF3 does get released in the U.S. soon.

-BigRob85

(Not so) Proudly turning dual gats into BFGs since 2004!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: