2024-04-19, 10:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Plasmagun Shader fails to show (Under ATI Radeon X800 Pro)  (Read 7007 times)
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« on: 2004-09-10, 04:05 »

I was at my friend's house, and of course he had Gen. One BIG problem I noticed was that the Doom plasmagun shader did not show up. In its place, just gray.

Now, my friend, as stated in the topic descripion, has an ATI Radeon X800 Pro. I'm wondering if the bug is a file problem or a hardware problem. If it is the latter, that's likely going to put a hit in all that heavy-duty video card hype. :/ Though it'd be rather unfortunate for my friend.
« Last Edit: 2004-09-10, 04:06 by Assamite » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-09-10, 05:03 »

It would be very useful if we could know the following:

1)  The usual com_hunkmegs setting.

2)  The following cvar values:
cg_customplasma
color2
r_overbrightbits
r_vertexlight

3)  A screenshot of the offending problem.

4)  Any console text upon level load that might indicate a missing shader or missing .tga reference.

That will greatly help in identifying if this is a config issue, Gen issue, or driver compatibility issue.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
H i t m a n

« Reply #2 on: 2004-09-12, 20:18 »

com_hunkmegs = 192

cg_customplasma =0
color2 =1
r_overbrightbits =0
r_vertexlight =1

I have a screenshot of my problem, but I dont have a host
=/
H i t m a n

« Reply #3 on: 2004-09-12, 20:24 »

okay sorry, I remembered I had a photobucket so heres the screenshot :

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2004-09-12, 21:33 »

vertexlighting kills weapon shaders apparently... it'll also counter-act QW coloring if you've got cg_playercolorlevels on.

set r_vertexlight to 0 and your problem is fixed.
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #5 on: 2004-09-13, 03:47 »

He says it doesn't fix the problem.

The problem doesn't seem to extend to anything else with custom coloring, including railguns and QW colors. A shader error wasn't found.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2004-09-13, 04:54 »

r_vertexlight needs to be set to "1".  That is the problem.  If changed in-game it requires a vid_restart for the changes to be noticeable, which is why it might have appeared to not help at the time.  The plasma rifle shader uses multiple stages to render the effect, and any stages after the initial stage are killed when lighting is set to vertex.

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2004-09-13, 04:58 »

wait, what? Slipgate - Distraught

I replicated the problem when I set my r_vertexlight to 1 (from 0) and did a vid_restart.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2004-09-13, 05:02 »

Sorry, I wasn't entirely clear.  r_vertexlight needs to be set to "1" to replicate the problem.  If you change it in-game (to "0") it requires a map_restart for the effect to be noticeable.  Set r_vertexlight to "0" to correct the problem.
« Last Edit: 2004-09-13, 05:02 by Phoenix » Logged

Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #9 on: 2004-09-20, 05:17 »

Since he won't give a report, I will.

It turns out that NONE of his Doom shaders work. Plasma, BFG, Haste, even Phobos. HOWEVER, he says that shaders for all of his other classes seem to work properly. No word on map shaders. I told him to try reinstallation, but on second examination this problem seems to be linked to the Doom class. So, I will devise an experimentation format for him. If you are not Hitman, then you can disregard this.

1. Enter as a non-Doom class and face at least a Doom opponent. Do his weapon shaders show up properly?
(Solved) 2. If the Doomer has a shadered skin, e.g. Phobos, does it show up properly?
(Solved) 3. Do map shaders show up properly under non-Doom classes?
4. Enter as Doom. Face multiple opponents, including at least one Doom and one non-Doom. They should preferably have shadered skins, like Angel. Do all their weapon shaders show up properly?
(Solved) 5. Do the shadered skins of Doomers and non-Doomers show up properly when you play as Doom?
(solved) 6. And lastly, do map shaders show up properly when you play as Doom? The glass shaders are just fine in the picture, it seems.

I await responses.
« Last Edit: 2004-10-02, 21:04 by Assamite » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2004-09-22, 09:45 »

Even the Phobos skin isn't working right?  That's very strange, considering we did not touch the shaders for Phobos.  Does Phobos show up correctly in normal Q3?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: