2024-04-18, 03:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I found an Id Bug (Tricky one, too.)  (Read 5173 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2004-09-28, 08:58 »

Ever run across a situation where you're fighting a bot in a team game, and you cannot damage the bot, nor can the bot damage you?  I'm not to blame for this one.  Here's how it works.

If you change gametypes to teamDM from FFA, the bots' userinfo "team" value is left uninitialized. Everything else sets correctly. The problem is cropping up when a non-bot client joins a team and is automatically assigned as the team leader. The SetLeader function calls ClientUserInfoChanged for the old team leader to remove their leadership, erm, qualities, and that's where the problem shows up. ClientUserInfoChanged tries to set the bot's team based on the "team" value in the bot's userinfo string. Since that is null it automatically assigns the bot's sessionTeam value to whichever team has the fewest players.

This turned out to be an ID bug, not a Gen bug. I loaded up vanilla Q3 and it does the same exact thing. Here's how you can replicate it with 100% certainty.

g_gametype 1
bot_minplayers 3
devmap q3dm1
team spectator

(let 3 bots join in)

g_gametype 3
map_restart

(let all 6 slots fill)

team red

(let the extra red bot get kicked off the server)

team blue

Bring the scoreboard up QUICKLY. Instead of four blue bots you'll see only TWO blue bots and FOUR RED BOTS. Pay attention to which bot swapped teams. The teams will NOT even out since according to sessionTeam they already ARE even. Shoot any other red bot and they'll take damage like normal, but you can shoot the "traitor" bot all day without damaging it. The bot looks like it's on the red team, and think's it's on the red team (all the other bots think this too) but for damage purposes it's on the blue team still.  If a bot on the red team accidentally shoots this bot it WILL damage it.

So there you have it. The invulnerable bot bug is NOT my fault, and it is NOT related to the "turncloak" bug that was fixed in .99d. GG Robert Duffy!
 Thumbs up!
« Last Edit: 2004-09-28, 08:59 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #1 on: 2004-09-28, 11:45 »

Yeah games have bugs. even ID games.
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #2 on: 2004-09-28, 13:02 »

Now if only ID was making Q3 patches again!
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2004-09-28, 16:11 »

this bug is rather old actually , but I havent gotten it till 1.32 .
but it looks like they didn't fix it Slipgate - Sad
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2004-09-29, 01:38 »

I didn't know about it until the other day, but I've already fixed it.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #5 on: 2004-09-29, 06:35 »

You fixed an ID bug for them.  Thumbs up! Should you release the solution to PQ?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: