2024-04-20, 04:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Wolf Arena beta (Do I dare?)  (Read 40565 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #40 on: 2004-11-08, 06:13 »

Unless Tabun objects, I'll take a stab at that knight. Slipgate - Smile

I finally got a chance to take the time to review the changes to the map.  Good changes overall.  The only real problem I noticed is sometimes it's hard to get out of the water.  I was thinking of slightly deeper water to pose more of a "swimming" risk but the shallow moat with the "semi-neglected" look works out nicely.  I think the surface might need to be raised by half a stairheight, or if that does not work perhaps the ground near the stairs raised slightly or clipped to allow bottom-stepping for an easier exit.  Right now you have to "swim up" in order to clip the stairs enough to get out.

The railgun slugs in the shotgun room are useless for Strogg, Arena, and Earth.  Doom and Slipgate get bullets and nails, respectively, but those other three need a railgun weapon to utilize slug ammo.  I think a way to make those useful and also better balance out the BFG spawn would be to teamchain the BFG with a railgun so they alternate, like in Tokay's Towers, and set the respawn timer at 30 seconds.  That would give each weapon some play.  The long halls and tight turns can actually make railing tricky since you don't know where people are going to come from, and I don't see it really overbalancing the map if teamchained.  Going in the drink is quite dangerous as it is, which is good.

I don't know what you've done, if anything, for controlling bot behavior.  I did throw some random bots in for testing and I noticed they all congregate in the water and don't tend to roam anywhere outside of there.

I like the addition of the lamps and other asthetic tweaks.  It really rounds out the map.  The fog in the cellar with the barrels makes it feel more "dungeon-ish".  Good call on moving the Personal Teleporter spawn, and the electric chair in the Medkit room was a nice touch.  The respawn timers on the Quad and Invis seem fine.  I did notice that it's easy to maneuver around and behind the trees in the water, and also the lamp posts in the big shotgun room.  I'm not sure if I like the flat playerclips around the trees in the recessed archways, and the playerclips in front of the short arches still feel unnatural.  If the goal is to keep people out from behind the trees I'd move the clipping plane back to about halfway through the tree so the collision feels a bit more natural.  Sometimes it may be of some (arguable) benefit to duck behind one of those trees and crouch momentarily if low on health to escape a passing player, and anyone foolish enough to camp and try taking potshots from behind them makes for a nice juicy rocket "freebie".  This is just my personal opinion.  I tend to be the kind of player that likes to be able to run just about anywhere on a map that looks accessible.

That's all the critique I have for now, I'm really liking this map so far.  I've got some Gen-related work I need to get done over the next week or so, and I'll try to see about getting to work on a knight model for you.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #41 on: 2004-11-08, 06:44 »

I noticed the "swim up" effort to get to the stairs, I tried making the water deeper, the stairs are 16 units high each but they are clipped so it's actually 8 units height, and STILL have to swim up, unless someone knows a trick to easily access the first few steps under water, I won't be able to fix that, not that is a big deal in my opinion, but it bugs me.

I can make the water deeper a little so you don't have to crouch to discharge the lightning gun.

Alternating the BFG and railgun is a really bright idea I think, but I don't know how to do that. I'll ask my pk mapping guru, I'm sure he'll know and I'll get to it.

I haven't notice the bots to be very stupid, I have botclipped certain areas but they roam the map pretty well, matter of fact I have camped the bridge with the earth mortar (my favorite new toy) waiting for them to lobe the rockets on their head and they don't come all that often, I spawn the bots on nightmare mode only tho (skill 5).

I will unclip under the arches, no problem.

The electric chair is pretty cool, too bad generations (or vanilla q3) doesnt support shooter_lighning :-)  I  have a  different painkeep version and have a can of beans (similar to a megahealth powerup) in front of it, which triggers a several shooter lightnings from the chair to target the player that pickes it up and a trigger brush around it also and it's a really cool trap :-)

I tried the pk version in generations and it  triggers the shooter and you can hear the zapping noise but nothing happens.
« Last Edit: 2004-11-08, 06:46 by FluSyndrome » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #42 on: 2004-11-08, 19:43 »

Actually Gen has shooters for every single weapon in the game (except melee weapons), and the shooter_lightning SHOULD work.  I know it does in the test maps.  They can do some pretty amazing things too, like targetting players, time delays, and a host of other neat stuff.  We even have Q2-style lasers with four colors to choose from.

Let me get a roughed-out version of the SDK over to you, including a few sample maps, one of which shows off every shooter we've got.

Edit:  I've sent you a PM with a link to the file.  If you don't have popup windows enabled for our site check the top of the page, you should see "1 new message".  Click that and it'll take you to your Inbox.
 Thumbs up!
« Last Edit: 2004-11-08, 19:54 by Phoenix » Logged

FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #43 on: 2004-11-09, 01:29 »

Cool, I've looked at the map and the only difference I can see is a fireduration parameter that I don't have in the pk version. I'll work on it sometime today  and see I can get it working, I may use it to target the skeleton in the chair, not the player. In pk I have it set to target enemy, but we have a lot more health lying around the level than you guys :-)
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #44 on: 2004-11-09, 03:50 »

Yup, fireduration=1 made the difference, it works now :-)
lord_malchia

« Reply #45 on: 2004-11-09, 05:13 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Let me get a roughed-out version of the SDK over to you, including a few sample maps, one of which shows off every shooter we've got.
Would you mind giving me a link to this file as well, or is it a selective type thing? Such would certainly help out my own personal progress if you could.
« Last Edit: 2004-11-09, 05:16 by lord_malchia » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #46 on: 2004-11-09, 05:29 »

Sure thing.  I've sent you a PM with the link.  The only reason I'm not posting it publicly is the file is in a temporary location.  It'll be available from Fileplanet, etc, once it's completed and in a format better than plaintext.

Flu:  Hmm...  I'll double-check my code, lightning is supposed to default to a minimum fireduration if none is explicitly specified by the mapper.  Glad it's working with the proper keypair though!
« Last Edit: 2004-11-09, 05:32 by Phoenix » Logged

FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #47 on: 2004-11-09, 06:01 »

If you wanna see what I mean you may d/l our pk version at http://www.flu.stonks.com/wolf3dpk-beta.zip   and run it at generations,  step close to the gate to the chair and you'll hear the zapping sound with no effect. The only thing I did differently in my gen test map was add that fireduration=1 and it worked.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #48 on: 2004-11-09, 06:04 »

hey flu, post a link to the newest working version, would you?
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #49 on: 2004-11-09, 11:30 »

So far is the same as my previous post  ( genwolf-beta.zip  ) but I have done a few things to it since and will be done some more today, I'll post  after I finish sometime late today or tomorrow.
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #50 on: 2004-11-09, 17:25 »

Although I haven't yet tried this map out (any version), I must compliment you on one thing, Flu: I don't think I've ever seen someone work this hard to please the people making the mod that he's doing a map for.

Kudos to you for your cooperation and hard work! Thumbs up!

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #51 on: 2004-11-10, 01:03 »

Thanks!, actually I'm only doing it cause  usually I already made the map any which way I like for painkeep arena, and I really knew next to nothing in generations mapping, but since the theme is related, I thought you guys may like'em too so I try to make a generations version too but I need LOTS of help for that.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #52 on: 2004-11-10, 10:30 »

I for one am grateful for the effort. <3

The map is excellent so far, I'm quite pleased with it and I'm more than happy to offer help in kind.  I've started work on that knight model.  It'll take me some time to get it finished, I model rather slow but the results are usually well worth the extra attention to detail.  I'm also more accustomed to modeling mechanical things like weapons, but I've worked with player meshes before and I have a good working knowledge of how armor is designed.

FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #53 on: 2004-11-11, 01:45 »

Good, we are almost at the end. The following is probably the last beta I'm gonna post. I may have forgotten to unclip an arch or two, but the arches in the shotgun room and with the knights are certainly unclipped.

The water is deeper, zapping is easier now  (and great fun)

The railgun and BFG alternate (Awsome idea by phoenix IMO). Since it alternates, I reduced wait time to 1 minute instead of two.

The electric chair is functional now, just for fun, it has no effect on the game at all.

There are knights now, but I rather wait for the ones phoenix is working on.

So go on and d/l and I dare you to find a bug :-)

But WAIT, there's more........   If you act NOW!.......... for the same low price (free :- )  you also get..  WOLFY music. YES, no more console error that can't find wolfy.wav,  BUT be aware that it will only be available for a very short time since it will NOT be included in the final map, because is an original wolf3d spear of destiny song, so enjoy it now and you'll be able to listen to it later in the final map if you extract it from the pk3 to the baseq3 folder.  I will also not include it in the final map cause its way too large at 5 Mb

wolf3dgen-beta
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #54 on: 2004-11-13, 00:35 »

I've got the knight's axe modeled.  Here's a preview.

FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #55 on: 2004-11-13, 01:48 »

Awsome! I wish I could model, that's pretty cool and just like the original it seems.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #56 on: 2004-11-13, 12:24 »

ya know , if you could make 1 of those axes swing or let it look like it drops out of a knight his hands , you might have a new kind of shooter .
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #57 on: 2004-11-13, 19:59 »

Not likely to happen.  Slipgate - Exhausted

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #58 on: 2004-11-14, 18:25 »

Ahhh... I like the idea of the alternating super weapons =]

Good choice.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #59 on: 2004-11-19, 04:00 »

Hate to double-post, but the link to the latest beta seems to be broken.

Anyone else getting this problem too?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: