2024-03-28, 14:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Which UT do YOU prefer? (Which UT do YOU prefer?)  (Read 14434 times)
shambler

Icon of Sin

« on: 2004-11-01, 21:15 »

Well, I play a lot of UT. Both flavours, but I can't decide which I like to play the most.

UT99 has the ripper, and the warcow, and the necris.

UT2004 has the necris now, but the action seems to be 'slower' as the levels are more open, with larger rooms.

What do the wireheaders think?

(UT was really my world before this year, cos of the bot support)
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2004-11-01, 21:31 »

UT2004 is far superior than UT99!

The controls are crisp like Quake3 instead of spongy!
The shock combo is balanced!
Loads of levels!
Dodging off walls!
Onslaught!
Alien Swarm!

Plus, they brought back Assault (which 2k3 was lacking)!!

I am MUCH happier with 2k4 than 99.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-11-01, 23:45 »

I've only played the original UT.  The Flak Cannon felt a little too strong, but otherwise most everything else felt fine.  I also severely disliked the dodging controls.  I turned dodging off as I'd invariably "dodge" off a ledge accidentally.  Slipgate - Shifty
« Last Edit: 2004-11-01, 23:46 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #3 on: 2004-11-02, 05:34 »

ut2k4. it pwns
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #4 on: 2004-11-02, 06:21 »

Like Phoenix, I've only ever played the original. I got some enjoyment out of it, but never really had the opportunity to play it online.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2004-11-02, 06:35 »

Ive played both UTs alot. I enjoy UT2K4 but i also enjoy classic UT from time to time.
BiGRoB85

Gladiator

« Reply #6 on: 2004-11-02, 06:43 »

I'd have to say that UT2K4 is my favorite UT game.

-BigRob85

(Not so) Proudly turning dual gats into BFGs since 2004!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2004-11-02, 12:14 »

My favorite part of UT99?

Voice taunt:  "You be DEAD."
 <3

Punisher

Cacodemon

« Reply #8 on: 2004-11-02, 21:19 »

UT2k4 is my favorite.
There is so much do to so it is pretty hard to get bored.

Plus the bots are cool.
[WaRdeN]

Team Member
Archvile

« Reply #9 on: 2004-11-02, 22:24 »

None, they all sucked.

They have a grainy mechanical feel with the controls. Graphics in UT2k4 were nice, and the new assault type gamemod with the power nodes was fun to play for about 10 minutes in the demo.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2004-11-02, 23:14 »

I think I prefer an Unyielding Tourniquet over Unreal Tournament.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #11 on: 2004-11-03, 00:11 »

Epic made UT2003, and it was good.
Epic added Invasion (Bonus Pack,) and it was very good.
Epic resurrected Assault and added Onslaught (UT2004,) and it was damn good.
Epic added three new vehicles and four awesome Onslaught maps (Editor's Choice Edition,) and it was simply the best.

Now I eagerly await Unreal Championship 2 to unmercifully rip me away from my beloved UT2004: Editor's Choice Edition.  Slipgate - Grin

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #12 on: 2004-11-03, 05:08 »

I was a huge fan of UT99 back in the day, but once I got into Quake it was hard to go back. With UT2004, there's deffinitely some things I miss from UT99, like the ripper and the enforcer, but especially after modding 2k4 to my tastes, UT99 feels very primitive.  I would say the greatest weakness in UT2004 right now is the movement physics. In quake, there is a whole science to movement which obviously I don't hav e to elaborate on. Even in UT99, there was some skill to running most of the time and only jumping or dodging on occasion. In UT2004, if you're not constantly dodge-jumping then you're going too slow, and it doesn't take any skill. At the same time, it dilutes combat because dodge-jumping doesn't require building momentum and you can do it instantaneously. It's too easy to just instantly pop in the other direction when there's a rocket coming at you. Even blind double jumping allows you to hang in the air avoiding much incoming fire with little effort. Furthermore, it totally changes map flow because anything that's not the size of Rankin is too small for constant dodge-jumping. Even after downloading remakes of classics from UT99 like Malevalence, Shrapnel, Turbine, Grinder, etc, I still mainly just play Asbestos, Rankin, and Antalus because the old maps just don't play right with UT2004 physics. Not to mention, Curse just isn't Curse without the Ripper.

UT2004 may have UT99 licked in terms of technology and even weapon balance, but there's something to the feel of UT99's close range combat that's missing in UT2004. I suppose removing double/dodge- jumping and speeding up running to match UT99 would help, but what would really be cool is if someone with more coding skills than me were to make a Quake-stlye-movement mutator for UT2004. Onslaught and the other new modes are actually pretty good. Classic Domination, my favorite non-dm gametype, has been brought back via community mod. Weapons and items are easy to fix (I've allready remade 90% of Quake's weapons into UT with little-to-no coding skills). But movement, that's the major missing peice in UT2004.
« Last Edit: 2004-11-03, 05:11 by Gnam » Logged
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #13 on: 2004-11-03, 09:29 »

Quote from: Gnam
But movement, that's the major missing peice in UT2004.
Semi-:offtopic:

I am really surprised that the original UT has faster movement than UT2003 and UT2004.  I always thought UT was the slowest of them all.  In fact, that is one of the main reasons why I prefer Q3 to UT, it seems faster to me.  Anyhow, I really do like what Epic tried to accomplish with the 2003/2004 dodging system, but it still has a long ways to go.  I generally don't dodge in combat all that often as I'm not very good at adjusting my aim while dodging.  However, I often use diagonal dodges, wall jumps, and slope dodges to get to hard to reach spots.  Even then, dodging feels somewhat clunky because of the sudden burst of momentum and then the immediate stop.  I would really enjoy some kind of hybrid between Q3's movement system and UT's dodging system.  I am hopeful that Unreal Championship 2 will deliver in that aspect, but if it doesn't, it still looks like it has a much more intuitive and intricate dodging system than the previous Unreal games.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #14 on: 2004-11-03, 11:35 »

I think this says exactly what I think too: I prefer UT99 over the newer sorts, but was not sure why exactly.

I play on truff.net (UT99) if anyone wants a game sometime.

Idon't really like mutators to turn one game into another. why not just play the original game?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2004-11-03, 16:48 »

Quote from: shambler
Idon't really like mutators to turn one game into another. why not just play the original game?
I'm with Shambler here.  The exception, of course, being Gen where you can mix it up with ordinance from all your favorite games. Slipgate - Wink

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #16 on: 2004-11-03, 17:10 »

why not just play the original game?
because the graphics in that game suck .
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #17 on: 2004-11-03, 22:29 »

Quote from: shambler
A legitimate question. If you're trying so hard to make one game like another, why not just play the other game?  Why bother? For the new game modes, for the newer engine, for the bigger player base, to mix ideas from 2 different games, but most of all, because it plays better that way....
« Last Edit: 2004-11-03, 22:30 by Gnam » Logged
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #18 on: 2004-11-04, 00:09 »

true, but I like the gameplay with the old game. It's a lot faster now I am aware of it while playing and I like the people that play it. the forums are better. (bit like wirehead!)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #19 on: 2004-11-04, 05:20 »

Hey, sometimes I like to play Zdaemon.  Sometimes I still go back and play Q2DM, or RA2.  A few months ago I used DOSBOX to play through the original Wing Commander.  I routinely play emulated 80's and 90's era arcade games.  Some favorites just never go out of style.  Thumbs up!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: