2024-04-29, 02:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: what do you think? (titanic)  (Read 4547 times)
jess

Archvile

« on: 2004-11-15, 04:59 »

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ence_titanic_dc
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #1 on: 2004-11-15, 05:37 »

well as ive never found the titanic that interesting historicly anyway i say let it. let its massive rotting hull collapase on leonardo decaprio's bones.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-11-15, 07:21 »

Why are humans so enamored with tragedies?  It's a sunken ship, not a museum.  Salvage what's salvageable and let the rest rot.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #3 on: 2004-11-15, 16:35 »

I supposed were so enamored (as pho put's it) with tragedies as the human race as a people don't really like things going right

as most ( Not all, pls leave flaming out of it) are naturally pessimistic, the glass half empty sort of thing

and as such tragedies are just and extension of that, as no only do we moan about our own problems, we can't help but to be interested in other peoples

especially if there worst

look at all the real life and big brother type shows, if we weren't interested in other peoples problems, such examples of tv wouldn't exist

the only reason people are still interested in the fateful night of April 14th 1912 is that the so called unsinkable titanic, not only sunk.

but also had too few lifeboats to accommodate all the people on board, so more than half the passengers, lost there lives to the negliegence of the engineers

it's basically on problem after another hense it's appeal  Slipgate - Wink
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2004-11-16, 02:46 »

Aye, you can look at the news reporting.  How much is negative, and how much is positive?  We hear about suicide bombers, kidnapping and murders in Iraq, but we don't hear about schools being built, sewage systems being installed, or medical aid given to those hurt by the fighting.  It just doesn't make news, which is sad, because it should.  Look at the space program.  One shuttle blows up and they ground the whole fleet.  People remember the Challenger and the Columbia, the problems with the Hubble, but I don't know of anyone that marvels about how well the LASCO and EIT arrays on the SOHO satellite continue to function well after they were expected to fail, or how many shuttle flights have gone successfully.  How many products commonly used today were developed as a result of the space program, and yet people complain about the money spent on NASA when a shuttle blows up.  Nevermind that rocket science is... well, rocket science.  Accidents happen, there's no getting around it.  We all hear about the dangers of nuclear power, when someone says "nuclear reactor" the first things that come to mind are Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, meltdowns and radiation leaks.  Nevermind the fact that I don't think any nuclear meltdowns have happened since then, and nuclear reactors churn out megawatts of power routinely.

I've heard it theorized that animals and humans as well tend to focus on the bad as a survival mechanism, that tragedies and hardships are more distinctly remembered as a way to facilitate thought and planning to better deal with them the next time.  I have no trouble with that.  I just don't understand why people choose to dwell on such things.  I say learn from it and do your best to make sure it doesn't happen again, but don't get so caught up with it that you miss out on all the good things in life by dwelling on things that you can't change.

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2004-11-16, 17:25 »

I didnt care for the ship .

but after I saw the movie ,I was mad that the film took away 3hours and 15 minutes from my life away . and now i still hate the ship , i should say , help time a little and blow the sporking ship up with tons of dynamite ( sorry to all the fishes that will be hurt in the process )
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2004-11-17, 01:44 »

Just let it rust.  Sunken ships make nice artificial reef starters.  Green Peace should take notice. Slipgate - Wink

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #7 on: 2004-11-17, 02:29 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Aye, you can look at the news reporting.  How much is negative, and how much is positive?  We hear about suicide bombers, kidnapping and murders in Iraq, but we don't hear about schools being built, sewage systems being installed, or medical aid given to those hurt by the fighting.
Yeah, it's like the CIA. The only time the news reports on an operation by the CIA, it's when something went wrong (cause if they did it right no one would know about it). Consequently everyone thinks the CIA screws up all the time completely oblivious to all the majority of operations that are successfull.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: