2024-04-20, 09:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: More Doom movie news (WHY!?! WHHHYYYY!?!?!)  (Read 17172 times)
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #20 on: 2004-12-08, 21:33 »

Quote from: DaMan McDeth 666
For every bullet, the get a compensation of $50. For every unit of plasma, $60. Shells get an arbitrary amount of $37 (approx. $1 a pellet). For every knuckle caused injury, $10,  and for every limb lost due to our favorite melee (yes, the chainsaw), $1000.
For every one killed by either the BFG-9000 or Soul cube: Priceless.
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #21 on: 2004-12-15, 00:01 »

I think the whole idea is to rip off Resident Evil. When Hollywood sees an idea that has any promise, they milk it over and over and over and put it into any movie that it can possibly fit in and some that it can't.
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #22 on: 2004-12-15, 15:22 »

Hollywood has a VERY bad habit of thinking that, if a movie has the same name as what it's "based on", that noone's going to know the difference between the movie, and thge actual source.. Take a look at Starship Troopers.
Apocrypha

Ogre

« Reply #23 on: 2004-12-16, 09:39 »

I enjoyed the Starship Troopers movie personally (though not the straight-to-video sequel), even if it didn?t come near the cerebral heights that Heinlein?s classic literature did. Of course, that?s how most movie translations of books work. A prime example would be how the industry has been raping Philip K. Dick for years, always conveniently excluding any traces of philosopher in favor of action. Blade Runner was pretty good and Total Recall wasn't that bad, but they still lacked the great thought cycles that were found in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and We Can Remember It For You Wholesale. Of course, it could be worse, look at Pay Check or The Minority Report
« Last Edit: 2004-12-16, 09:42 by Apocrypha » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #24 on: 2004-12-16, 10:18 »

The problem is that Hollywood assumes all people want are mindless shootouts and explosions, and generally thinks the public incapable of any thoughts above beer, sex, and bombs.  The recent successes of films like the Lord of the Rings and The Passion was kind of a stick in the eye to that conventional "wisdom".  The first Matrix movie was a sleeper, nobody expected it to be a hit, and while the second two are considered by many to be lackluster, all of them (and especially the first movie) had a lot of deeper subtleties in the story you could pick out if you looked for it, or if you're not up to heavy philosophical speculation you could sit back and enjoy the kung-fu and sci-fi elements.

Another good example of a movie line that's gone horribly wrong is the James Bond movies.  Watch some of the old Sean Connery films, then flip ahead to the latest few.  You go from intrigue and espionage to "let's see what we can blow up today!"  What Hollywood really needs better screenwriters, and movie studios who will let the real creative talents make what they want instead of trying to cram a movie that should be 2 hours long into an hour and a half timeslot just to run more screenings.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #25 on: 2004-12-16, 10:35 »

Exactly.

Most movies cater for the masses. These people are worthy, but not intelligent. Movies are made to sell, otherwise no one would fund them.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #26 on: 2004-12-16, 16:21 »

I really hate the later movies they brought out , freddy VS jason , alien vs predator , doom vs quake ,mario vs keen .
lord_malchia

« Reply #27 on: 2004-12-16, 22:56 »

Quote from: Phoenix
The recent successes of films like the Lord of the Rings and The Passion was kind of a stick in the eye to that conventional "wisdom".
You?re spot on with James Bond, however I?m going to disagree with you on The Lord of the Rings and The Passion of the Christ. From a personal standpoint, I found The Lord of the Rings trilogy to be incredibly boring and clich?, but I find that most high fantasy stories are. As for the Passion, there was little to no thought involved in that, since it was indeed about nothing but violence and was also a longwinded movie. Religious biases aside, The Passion of the Christ was awful. Despite my paganism, I?d really like to see an epic done about the life of Jesus, but two hours of him merely being beaten without a word of his teachings is nothing but a thinly veiled guilt trip. I won?t get into any of the other reasons why Christians really shouldn?t like that movie, as this isn?t the thread. Hollywood is right in assuming that people are stupid, in America they far outweigh the intellectuals.

Apocrypha, Blade Runner was the reason that I picked up Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I must agree that the entirety of it?s philosophy was missing. I?ve only ever read one other Dick book though and that was The Man in the High Castle. It was good, though seemed to lack an ending. The author definitely belongs on a shelf right next to Kafka and Vonnegut. Slipgate - Smile
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #28 on: 2004-12-17, 03:10 »

Damn Straight Malchia.

Beer? I'm down.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #29 on: 2004-12-17, 04:06 »

Just forget Hollywood for a while, and go see a few oriental movies, and some european works, while you're at it. Works refreshing after that J.Bond crap you mention -- they've thoroughly killed that series indeed. And with movies like 'Van Helsing', I think we're going for an all-time record mental flatline in the movies.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #30 on: 2004-12-17, 05:08 »

http://www.dmop.co.nr/

Have at it. I completely support this petition.

Beer? I'm down.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #31 on: 2004-12-17, 05:31 »

Malchia, I was referring to the fact that Hollywood has no clue as far as what will and will not be popular because their assumptions about the populace are heavily downward in nature.  People don't like other people assuming that they are morons and tend to react badly to that.  The fact that LOTR and The Passion sold as much as they did is not necessarily a sign of intellectual sophistication of the audience, but merely a fact that Hollywood lives in its own little world and should realy try to deal with the "masses" on their level as opposed to looking down their noses at them.  That's why these movies were successful - the directors, producers, and screenwriters took their work seriously and knew who they were appealing to and how to do so.  Personally I think people are a bit fed up with egotistical elitist intellectuals who don't know how to treat people with respect and instead just assume people will eat whatever crap is spoonfed to them.  If you assume the audience has at least some degree of intelligence and take your own script seriously you're more likely to keep their attention and will probably appeal to a wider audience in the process.  Regardless of your personal opinions and beliefs regarding The Passion, you cannot argue that it was successful and generated more ticket sales than anyone expected.  So what was Hollywood's answer to the success of The Passion?  Saved!  And we all know how well that one sold.  Really.  That's like following The Godfather up with Johnny Dangerously...  Slipgate - Exhausted

Skippy

Dopefish

« Reply #32 on: 2004-12-17, 15:12 »

In regard to the monsters not being from hell. Ok, yes they should be but if for some reason Hollywood can not allow this, then what not make them aliens? (techniclly, the demons are aliens since they come from differnt dimesion, just like an immigrent to another country is an alien). The can still have all the weapon, strength, powers etc only they are reffered to as aliens. At least this could still be related to doom, as anyone who has read the books would know, they weren't from hell in the books but were aliens.

Personally, I think they should be deamons from hell. I'm just saying that all hollywood has to do is call them aliens and they can still come from another dimension (which is what hell is in doom3).
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #33 on: 2004-12-17, 17:26 »

Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #34 on: 2004-12-17, 21:09 »

Quote from: Footman
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/041203i.php
I'm sure it has the DOOM community(As well as myself) shaking their head and asking "WHY!?".
Because the Sci-Fi channel is a bunch of politically correct jackasses. Just look at what they did to Battlestar Galactica. Pretty soon they'll be de-mini-izing the miniskirts in the original Star Trek series.
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #35 on: 2004-12-17, 21:10 »

Quote from: Gnam
LOL. So that's what BFG stands for. I thought they were just getting confused with Unreal Tournament.

Yeah, I think it's official, this movie just lost any chance it had of being remotely entertaining. Making the monsters not come from hell in a Doom movie is like making a remake of War of the Worlds or Independance Day where the monsters aren't aliens, but mutated gnomes from underground.
BFG = Big F-cking Gun.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #36 on: 2004-12-18, 12:02 »

I'm still going to reserve judgement until I see something more concrete in regards to the film.  I think it's too early to buy flour from the rumormill just yet.

Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #37 on: 2005-01-10, 08:18 »

Well, it's a given that Hollywood would rape the Doom universe in creating a move. They did it to Wing Commander as well (have you SEEN what  they did to Wing Commander?!). The movie studio actually said that they couldn't write a script to match the fear, tension, and excitement of the game's story, which is pretty sad. Doom 3 had a good story by video-game standards, but it's still just a video game and its story isn't that complex or compelling.

At least it probably won't be quite as bad as those old Doom novels. Not only did the author create a terrible ending (the Klave? Destructionists? WTF?!?!), but he gave Doomguy a chickenshit name like Flynn Taggart. Flynn Taggart! Ugh.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #38 on: 2005-01-10, 15:17 »

I started reading one of those books. Got it second hand for 50p. It was sooooo bad.  :rules:
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #39 on: 2005-01-10, 16:18 »

Movies based on games:
- Mortal Kombat
- Streetfighter
- Double Dragon
- Resident Evil: Apocalypse
- Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
- Pokemon the First Movie - Mewtwo vs. Mew
- Super Mario Bros.

Now I've left Resident Evil (the first) out of this list, because.. it was actually half-decent. ;]

Nuff said, I fear.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: