2024-03-28, 23:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: More Doom movie news (WHY!?! WHHHYYYY!?!?!)  (Read 16843 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #40 on: 2005-01-10, 19:45 »

Woolie:  Aye, the Wing Commander movie sucked horribly.  What bothered me is that Chris Roberts would produce such a butchered retelling of the original story.  He did not do his own work justice.  I realize it was his desire to direct movies, but the games are so much better it's not even funny.  The storylines, acting, and all the live-action stuff in WC3 and WCIV worked.  Chris CAN direct, as the games turned out wonderfully, so I have no idea where he went wrong and why.

Looking at the list of movies based on games so far, I'm not too thrilled with how this is looking.  Even if Karl Urban does a good acting job with the character, I'm still seriously concerned with this being "left to Hollywood".  I feel it's going to be yet another carcass on the butcher's pile at this point.  Can anyone slay this demon of bad video game to movie adaptations?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
lord_malchia

« Reply #41 on: 2005-01-19, 03:18 »

Quote from: Tabun
Movies based on games:
- Mortal Kombat
- Streetfighter
- Double Dragon
- Resident Evil: Apocalypse
- Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
- Pokemon the First Movie - Mewtwo vs. Mew
- Super Mario Bros.

Now I've left Resident Evil (the first) out of this list, because.. it was actually half-decent. ;]

Nuff said, I fear.
The first Mortal Kombat movie was great, though a rip-off of Enter the Dragon. The first Resident Evil however was definately not, it didn't even follow the story or present any of the franchise's characters... Let alone a cool, campy b-movie atmosphere. The only thing that made it a Resident Evil property is the fact that the term "Umbrella Corporation" and "T-Virus" was used... Oh, I guess that awful rendition of a Licker could be added as well, though I thought the CGI in the actual game of Resident Evil 2 looked better. They would have been much better off if they would have let George Romero write and direct the movie like they initially were going to. Ironically enough, the man that did fail so horribly at writing and directing Resident Evil was also the same man that did so well with Mortal Kombat, Paul Anderson. Go figure *shrugs*.

Comic book movies are the same way though... Crappy as hell for the most part. Then again, the majority of Hollywood movies are, not just specific genres.
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #42 on: 2005-01-25, 22:02 »

Read one of the DooM books.It was ok...As for the supossed plot of the movie...well Slipgate - Asleep They've got to be kidding.Oh well another bomb.Anyway,I could have sworn I read somewhere that it was canned along with a Duke Nukem flick.I think it was in a PSM.I'll have to go though my back issues to verify that though.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #43 on: 2005-01-25, 23:00 »

Well, Tim Willits had this to say:

To what extent have you guys been involved with the movie?

Tim Willits: We like to make games, and they like to make movies. We don't imagine ourselves as movie experts, but we've been able to give them a little bit of direction and advice. We've been really happy with what Universal and the actors have down with the subject matter. We've been going over to the set in Prague to check it out and it's been a great experience for us.

There's been an awful lot of negative noise on the fansites about the movie and the perceived attitude of the scriptwriter. How did you react to that?

Tim Willits: There's always noise on the newsgroups about this kind of stuff. I think it's best for everyone just to relax, wait for the movie to come out and go and enjoy it. That's what we're going to do.

Does it worry you that most movies adapted from videogames are usually pretty poor?

Tim Willits: No, because we have a top-notch production staff. We've got John Wells who worked on ER, Lorenzo di Bonaventura who took The Matrix to Warner Brothers, we have Dwayne Johnson - The Rock - starring in it with Karl Urban from Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and The Bourne Supremacy. And then everyone working on the movie is really excited about the project. From the guys making the monsters, to the guys working on the CG, to the guys working on the lighting rigs, everyone's excited to work on the title. There's a really good vibe there, and that has us excited.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: