2024-03-28, 12:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Simmer - beta =) (Yummy q2 pie)  (Read 5162 times)
kaziganthe

Lost Soul

« on: 2004-12-22, 03:53 »

Download 4mb~

Screenshots:

Medium tourney/dm map, suits up to about 5 players comfortably, 1v1's are paced.

2ya
1mh
2rl
1rg

Mmmmmm.... quake 2..... Slipgate - Tongue
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2004-12-23, 00:20 »

Looks nice! im downloading it right now.
btw i don't think i've seen u around here before kaziganthe so i guess i have to say: Welcome Slipgate - Tongue
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2004-12-23, 00:53 »

I ran thru your map abit and i gotta say i like what i see! Slipgate - Smile still this map do have some problems.

First the layout is very good! the map has a quite nice flow in it, some nice trick jumps and rocket jumping action!

However i do think there isnt enough ammo..especially rocket ammo is very scare in this map

Also your light map is very bright and kinda..washed away what compile strings do you use? i think this map should be a bit more dark..

I did find some graphical glitches, nameley you forgot to texture one face i 'll upload a screenshot later on
I know many ppls hate "botttomless lava pits" but i really think your lava should be deaper at the GL
And as far as i could see..you havent clipped the map enough, some areas needs to be sealed off i could actually jump outside the map at one location, besides it is always a good thing to clip things that  a player might get stucked in.

But except that the map is almost good to go! some great brushwork there!
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2004-12-23, 01:24 »

Again and again, I am impressed Kaz!

However, I do agree with Reboot that the ammo in the level is quite scarce. If this were a tourney map then the current distribution of ammo would be fine, but once 4+ players enter the game the ammo count will be grueling, especially in Generations. Deeper lava pits would make the hazard areas actaully hazardous, but I wouldn't go as far as making them bottomless - just deep enough so that the player's movement is impaired.

That aside, great use of ambient sounds! That is something which a lot of recent maps are missing, btu they add so much to the gameplay experience. The lighting was qutie nice I think, although they could be colored to help make each room look more distinct and easier to remember from the others (red/yellow ambient lighting which Quake2 had a lot of).
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2004-12-23, 02:06 »

I'll test it out in a minute, but if Reboot and Tek say ammo is too scarce, they're probably right. Gen is an extremely ammo-intensive mod, with every type of ammo being a major item for a class. Doom loves shotgun shells, Slipgate is a rocketwhore (grenade pickups work too), and Strogg needs lightning (bullets) and rails. Earth can get by comfortably with a medium load of everything, but shotgun/lightning ammo (bullets) is a staple for the class as well.

And lava isn't as big of a hazard in Gen as it is in vQ3, as the damage has been put to quake2 levels. The lava needs to be a bit deeper to be as much of a hazard as it is in standard quake3.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2004-12-23, 07:52 »

Every class benefits from more rocket ammo, so that's something to consider also.  The appearance in the screenshots looks very yummy indeed.  Keep up the good work!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: