2024-03-28, 19:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Error (Memory Allocation Failure?)  (Read 14434 times)
Barney

« on: 2005-01-19, 09:59 »

Hi, I just got Generations but it's experiencing a fatal error when I try to play.  It  loads the map up to 96%, but then kicks me back to the main menu with the error message: "Hunk_AllocateTempMemory: failed on 786488."  The number (786488) is always the same.  I've tried setting the com_hunkmegs variable in q3config.cfg to several different values, including 92, 128, and 256. (my computer has 512 RAM).  Hope you can help, thank you.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-01-19, 10:41 »

Ok, first, are you starting Gen through the mods menu, or using a shortcut?  If you use the mods menu in Q3 then your q3config.cfg in baseq3 is read first, so it will override your setting.  Gen should not be started in this manner.  If you start Gen through a shortcut it should retain the setting.  You can add it to the shortcut's command line in the following manner:

+set com_hunkmegs 128 (or whatever value you wish)

This will insure it's always set when Gen is started.  Also, once you load Gen and you're at the main menu you can check com_hunkmegs by typing "/com_hunkmegs" it at the console.  Verify that it's set to what you want prior to loading the map.  If the problem persists let us know and we'll look further into it.

Also, which map are you trying to load?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2005-01-19, 11:24 »

I find that if I set the textures to high in Gen it crashes me out. This has only happened since 99e. I have tried setting my com_hunkmegs to a few diff settings, so I have to play at medium detail.

AMD 2700+, ATI 9800, Pro 512mg ram, XP, and a nice blue case with a light on the side)  

any idea why this might be?
Barney

« Reply #3 on: 2005-01-19, 19:43 »

That solved my problem, thank you.  Starting from the shortcut with a modified q3config wasn't working, but then I read your reply and added the set_hunkmegs parameter to the shortcut itself, which worked.  Thanks again.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2005-01-20, 01:38 »

No problem Barney, glad we could help!

Shambler:  Does it crash with errors or just kick you out to Windows?  What are your video settings in Gen?

L_Train

« Reply #5 on: 2005-01-23, 22:19 »

Hey does anyone use this mod on a Mac?
I can't start the game.  I get about 90% loaded then the same error:
Hunk_allocatetempmemory:failed on 1048632.
I start through the mods and I don't know how to adjust the memory allocation on my mac.
Can anyone help me?  Thanks.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2005-01-23, 22:48 »

Starting through the mods menu is not recommended, but I don't know how a Mac handles shortcuts, so try this:

Go into your baseq3 folder.  Edit your q3config.cfg file.  Look for the following line:

seta com_hunkMegs "56"

Change this line to read this:

seta com_hunkMegs "192"

If you don't have a com_hunkmegs statement just add the above line somewhere and you should be good.  192 is just a suggested value, you can set this anywhere from 128 to 2/3 your total system memory.  128 is the minimum recommended for Generations Arena.  Some people have trouble with a setting of 255 or higher, so if it gives you trouble experiment a bit.  This will increase your memory cache for all your mods, not just Generations Arena.

Let us know if that helps!

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #7 on: 2005-01-24, 00:45 »

Right:
What happens is that it 'locks up'  but only when I enter a big room, or a bot or player comes in sight, or I fire a lot of grenages or something where the comp has to work harder. When I say 'locks up'  What happens is not just locking, but a short loop with even the sound repeating, about half a second long. The only way out of it is to press the restart button.

This only happens in high texture settings, and the comp will run and UT2004 at 1024x768 and high textures etc without trouble.

2700+    ATI 9800Pro   512 meg ram  XP  

Gen settings are:   1024x768  high textures com_hunks have been set between 128-300 and seems to make no diff.

It might be that I have a coruption in the downloaded file?
Thanks for any advice Pho.
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #8 on: 2005-01-25, 20:41 »

Got a question:When you say 23 total system memory do you RAM and video RAM together or just the RAM.I got a 512 meg RAM and a 128 meg video card.So would that be 640 megs of RAM?

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #9 on: 2005-01-25, 20:44 »

Just system RAM. If you have 512, like I do, a com_hunkmegs setting of 192 is plenty.
« Last Edit: 2005-01-25, 20:44 by Makou » Logged

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #10 on: 2005-01-25, 20:57 »

Ok cool.Mine is set at 128 and so far no problems other then an annoying connection lost problem.It seems to happen pretty often lately.Someone told me it was due to the fact I was on a European server and I'm in the States,but it happens on the U.S. servers too.Disconnects in battle really sucks Slipgate - Sad

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2005-01-25, 21:43 »

Shambler:  Try enabling "Compressed Textures" from the system menu.  That seems to work wonders for that kind of skip-lag that happens during play.  It also speeds up your level load times.

death_stalker:  Check these settings:

com_maxfps
rate

Too high a com_maxfps setting will cause you to lag from network flooding.  Too high a rate can do the same.  Experiment around, but I've found this works well:

Cable Modem:
com_maxfps 125
rate 10000

com_maxfps at 125 will give you some physics benefits so long as you can actually render at 125FPS.  Set cg_drawfps to "1" to see your actual framerate.  If you're using vsync you'll have to watch your monitor's refresh rate since it will cap your framerate.

Dialup Modem:
com_maxfps 60-80 (76 is supposed to give the same benefit of 125)
rate 3000-5000

This will not be as smooth as 125, but for modem players it helps cut the lag down during busy fights.  Also make sure your "snaps" is set to "20".  Servers run at 20FPS, so asking for more snapshots than that is just duplicating packets.

Experiment around a bit to see if any of this helps, and what settings work best for you.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #12 on: 2005-01-25, 22:15 »

Will do. Thumbs up!
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #13 on: 2005-01-25, 22:47 »

Would making sure "snaps" is set to 20 help on a cable connection, as well?

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2005-01-26, 03:29 »

It can't hurt..

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #15 on: 2005-01-26, 03:58 »

Well, this explains nothing. My rate is set to 10000 (my connection should more than handle it), com_maxfps 125, snaps 20... and I still get those random "connection interrupted" message in Q3A/GenArena!

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2005-01-26, 04:47 »

Strange.  What's your ISP by chance?

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #17 on: 2005-01-26, 04:51 »

I honestly couldn't tell you. I'm on my college's network.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #18 on: 2005-01-26, 19:58 »

Quote from: Phoenix
<font color=#FFFF00>Shambler:  Try enabling "Compressed Textures" from the system menu.  That seems to work wonders for that kind of skip-lag that happens during play.  It also speeds up your level load times.

Yes that worked.

I don't know what compressed textures do exactly, but it worked.

BTW I have just ran Q1 with both winquake and telejano.  The nails move faster when using the Telejano engine! I think the entire game runs faster, but you can really see it with the nails. No wonder they seem to move so slow in Gen by comparison.

Slipgate - Wink
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #19 on: 2005-01-26, 21:15 »

Are you sure they actually move faster? Slipgate - Distraught  If that's the case, then rockets should also move faster, and the Thunderbolt will probably eat cells at a rate similar to how I might eat pasta.

If they really do move faster, then I have no reason to use Telejano when I put Quake 1 on this machine. I'll keep an eye on that. Thumbs up!

And to stay on-topic: I'll give the compressed textures thing a try on my end, too, although level load times aren't an issue for me...
« Last Edit: 2005-01-26, 21:15 by Makou » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: