2024-04-27, 16:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tsunami victims get no help (GG Christian missionaries)  (Read 5836 times)
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« on: 2005-01-28, 17:28 »

http://in.news.yahoo.com/050116/139/2j1rp.html

Rage and fury has gripped this tsunami-hit tiny Hindu village in India's southern Tamil Nadu after a group of Christian missionaries allegedly refused them aid for not agreeing to follow their religion.
Slipgate - WTF This is just plain sickening. Slipgate - Shouting
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #1 on: 2005-01-28, 18:01 »

Before this turns into the typical anti christian pep rally footman undoubtedly hopes to incite id like to point out  that the vast majority of christian charity groups do not require you to convert to recieve thier aid. They do of course make efforts to convert people but will not cut people off for not converting. I for one as a christian see this as a  despicable act and completely against proper christian teachings.
« Last Edit: 2005-01-28, 18:01 by Woodsman » Logged
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #2 on: 2005-01-28, 19:07 »

And people wonder why I have such a strong dislike for religious zealots. Good grief, that's ridiculous!

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2005-01-28, 22:15 »

Quote from: Woodsman
Before this turns into the typical anti christian pep rally footman undoubtedly hopes to incite
Wtf! I did NOT intend that AT ALL with this!
I am offended that you would make such an assumption, especially after I've matured over the last time. Slipgate - Shouting

Now Lord Malchia, on the other hand, would probaby strive for such a thing.*

*Unsure of this. Ask the guy yourself for more details.

Now, I'm only pointing out that these Christian Missionaries(NOT ALL) are corrupt. There is ATLEAST SOME corruption in EVERY religion, it is INEVITABLE.
« Last Edit: 2005-01-28, 22:17 by Footman » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2005-01-28, 23:17 »

I see three problems here.

1)  The flamewar that's erupting from misconstrued intentions.
2)  The possibility that a so-called Christian charity group is withholding aid from those who need it.
3)  The lack of information in the article about what Christian charity group was present, or the source for the article.

First, I'll address the potential flamewar.  It gets nipped here.  Everyone can have their say, but please, leave the baseless accusations out of it.  Let someone show their ass BEFORE accusing them of being one, OK? Sipgate - Evil

Now by source I don't necessarily mean who reported it, but someone had to have WRITTEN it, and even that is lacking.  I did find a related link by searching the news wires:

http://www.rediff.com/news/2005/jan/24shoba.htm

And the source where Yahoo lifted the story (or the other way around):

http://news.newkerala.com/india-news/?acti...llnews&id=60729

The Rediff article is from a guy named Shobha Warrier.  There's a stark contrast in the reporting between the Rediff article and the "sourceless" article on Yahoo.  Warrier is a verifiable journalist who has conducted hundreds of interviews, so I'd be more apt to view his story as the more credible telling of events over the obviously inflamatory version.  Still, I'd say there's a great deal of confusion as to what actually is going on, so I'd be cautious to jump to conclusions.  I would still like to know the name of the group involved, but it sounds like they bugged out before anyone had a chance to discover that.  There's also the possibility of thieves masquerading as charity workers, so that's another concern.  These kinds of disasters bring out the best in the best, and the worst in the worst.

There is a point I'd like to make in this as well.  Everyone knows I make no attempt to hide my beliefs, but I'll also call a wrong a wrong no matter who is doing it.  Footman is dead right in what he said about corruption, and I share in Woodsman's outrage.  What these people are doing, if true, is deplorable.  It's expected of every Christian to evangelize and try to spread the gospel, but you DO NOT take advantage of suffering people by withholding aid just because they do not want to convert!  We're expected to lead through example, and this is setting the worst kind possible.  Most Christian charities do not behave like this, but it only takes one bad experience to set someone against you.  Now these people will believe all Christians behave like this, which is sad because it is an unfair stigma and has probably destroyed any chance of them being receptive to the Gospel at a later time.  This kind of behavior doesn't help the poor and suffering, and it doesn't help in the cause of conversion.  It's a waste, and brings only more grief to all parties concerned.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
lord_malchia

« Reply #5 on: 2005-01-29, 03:39 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Let someone show their ass BEFORE accusing them of being one, OK?
No one needs to accuse Woodsman of anything, especially of being the ass that he is. He has proven countless times in the past that he lives to actively seek out and instantly pounce upon anyone who shows even the slightest shred of dislike towards Christianity.

If ?God? would stop killing millions of people in tsunamis, then maybe they?d be a little more receptive to your brainwashing.
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #6 on: 2005-01-29, 05:04 »

I'm not a big fan of religion. Period. However, I also know that people tend to believe what they want to believe, and in some cases -- such as religion -- those beliefs are usually worth respecting.

That said, there are many religions that believe in predestination, and I can think of more than one that believes that everything, for "good" or for "bad," happens for a reason. If I did believe in God, then regardless of how tragic this event was, this would not cause me to change that opinion. If I thought He had caused it, then I would know He had his reasons for doing it.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #7 on: 2005-01-29, 05:43 »

Quote from: Makou
If I thought He had caused it, then I would know He had his reasons for doing it.
Like being hindu?

Please, the aid being sent over is as fair and balanced as Fox News. It makes it worse that it is a Christian group doing this, because if it was an Islam group, then the flamewar would be on rather than "nipped"

Beer? I'm down.
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #8 on: 2005-01-29, 07:34 »

You know Malchia i might take you seriously if i didnt think you were an ignorant punk kid who spends his days thinking up stupid nick names like "lord malchia" in the hopes that people might not notice your just dev/null ( who has already been dismissed as a moron and a nutbag) and maybe scare a few old ladies because its demonic sounding.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2005-01-29, 15:05 »

The flamewar has nothing to do with which religious affiliation was responsible for this fiasco, but rather the inability for people to behave civilly on this forum.  Everyone here is resorting to namecalling and personal attacks, and whether deserved or not this is NOT the point of this forum.  Instead of banning the entire lot of you consider this a warning and the end of this discussion.  When you all can behave in a more civil manner perhaps then we can continue the topic some other time.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: