2024-05-02, 04:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Last Debate (Split from Topless Thread)  (Read 16216 times)
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #40 on: 2005-02-07, 10:40 »

actually I wouldnt say hes a coward , + he has some very good arguments on your posts pho .

about the bible being printed first , so what , if it wasnt the bible it would have been another book .

about jesus his sacrifice
nobody really knows he did it out of free will .
some guy wrote that in the bible 50 or 80 years after the fact .
it could also be that they just took him and exacuted him because he meaned trouble .
Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« Reply #41 on: 2005-02-07, 11:13 »

First of all, you immediately dismiss every Christian as the right-wing nut job Christians that most other Christians hate. Almost every Christian I know does not take the scripture literally, but instead does simply use it as a set of moral and philosophical guidelines.

I don't know anyone who is truly Christian, so I couldn't say. That certainly isn't the case here. Besides, I did not, and usually don't group all Christians together. As McDeth pointed out, exceptions are present in everything.

my apologies, what i read, i'd interpreted as a gross grouping of all Christians under a single convenient heading - i hate that sort of stereotyping, and therefore bitched about it.

Secondly, very few Christians believe that God is simply some old man up in the sky. It's a dated, clich?d reference.

Um... Sarcasm, dude. There's that density showing again.
If you'll look on the periodic table, around 121, you'll find "Jonesium", named after the matter discovered upon examination of my skull.  However, just because I have a hard head does not mean I'm dense.  When someone launches an attack, it becomes very difficult to discern serious intent from sarcasm, especially when the sarcastic comment takes the same bent as the rest of the post.

Third, you yourself claim to have been around for a few thousand years...

Sarcasm again... You might want to get a dictionary and look into the meaning of that word; SAR-CA-SIM
Ahh, here it is.
Sar?casm (n): See: lord_malchia
Wow!  It's all clear to me now!

yet immediately dismiss the possibility that Phoenix could possibly be anywhere near what he says he is - in fact, to me it sounds like you're inferring that he's some delusional 14 year old sitting at a keyboard.

That's precisely what I'm implying... Thanks for finally realizing some of the subtle nuances in my statement. I guess it wasn't sarcasm though, so it wasn't a problem area of yours.

Sorry, but you obviously haven't been around long enough to know Phoenix very well.  If he is indeed a "delusional 14 year old", he's the most mature and wise 14 year old i've ever met.  Sometimes a bit strongly-opined, but I think we all are, some moreso than others.  At any rate, he's shared enough wisdom with me and helped me with enough situations that I'm at least willing to respect his wishes and treat him as he seeks to be treated, i.e. as a bird.  And hell, I haven't seen him with my own two eyes, so there's nothing saying he isn't a bird - not likely, perhaps, but in my short time on this planet I've seen more incredulous things, so I wouldn't be terribly surprised to meet him and find myself face to face with a giant bird.

Fifth, although I initially dismissed Woodsman's claims about you being dev/null, I did some research, and you walk like the afore-referenced duck, and quack like the afore-mentioned duck. I smell duck. IP addresses only lie when they don't match. Matching IPs very seldom lie.

Wow, I bet you guys feel real special for figuring this out too, huh? If I was really in this to deceive anyone, I wouldn't have chosen a name tied to an already established character of mine. I would have gone with something more along the lines of Bald&Sexy of DaWoman McLife 333, for example.

See, the trick is, prior to the research I'd done on a technical level, I looked back at some of your postings, and of the ones I skimmed, many were actually fairly constructive - at least not destructive... so I gave you the benefit of the doubt until I completed my technical research.

I think we've all wasted enough time with this discussion, so please let's get this topic back on track.  Due to multiple violations of the CC rules by someone who'd previously been banned, I hereby pronounce this issue "resolved".  Con/Pho, if you think my resolution was a bit too harsh, let me know, or feel free to fix it yourself :)
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #42 on: 2005-02-07, 14:57 »

Pomegranates are cool. They're round.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #43 on: 2005-02-07, 17:10 »

games:  Anyone can argue on the internet, this is a question of honesty and integrity of character, or lack thereof.  Besides, I never said he was a coward, I said he was guilty of cowardice in regards to his online persona and presentation of his arguments.  Even the bravest warrior can do cowardly things from time to time.  I don't know him in person, but then, that's no fault on my part.  I've given him ample chances to come forth, as you've seen here, and say what he thinks, but he's become nothing but a broken record and a forum troll.

As for your Jesus comments, who knows?  We could all be dead wrong about the guy, but the fact that the apostles kept believing, not renouncing even unto torture and death when they were alive and with the guy and saw whether or not he was in the tomb tends to give a strong degree of plausibility toward their witness being accurate.  People die for things they believe in, sure, but people do NOT go and die for something they know to be a sham, and not with a 100% martyr rate for those who had to face it.  The apostles knew one way or the other if Jesus was alive or dead when the stone was rolled away, the stone that had the seal of Caeser that could not be opened by any man under pain of death.  As for the historical account of events, and whether the text is made up or not, well that's up to the individual to choose whether or not to believe it.  We all have that freedom.  I only squawk when people try to take that freedom away, and I go to war with people that disguise it as being some kind of liberty to do so.

Dr. Jones:  It's no down off my back.  There's nothing constructive that's ever going to come out of further discussion of this.
« Last Edit: 2005-02-07, 17:27 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #44 on: 2005-02-07, 17:52 »

As an addendum, I've split this off the original thread it was on.  Please people, let this be an example of what NOT to do in a thread.  That is, drive it blatantly off-topic and turn it into a rant-fest.  If you want to start a thread specifically to be a rant-fest, say that from the start, but don't co-opt a thread in order to:

1)  Bash a religion/sexual orientation/ethnicity, etc.  (Political parties, music groups, Counter-Strike, etc, are fair game)  "Bashing" is defined as unwarranted and ignorant hatred, lies, etc.  Criticism is one thing, flaming all PoinkaDoinks (I made that up) just because you don't like their beliefs is bigotry.  Use your brain and be respectful, mmkay?

2)  Launch personal attacks and post flame-bait hoping the party you dislike will start breaking forum rules in an attempt to justify your own return-fire insults. We don't like personal insults, nor do we like it when someone goads someone else with cleverly crafted rhetoric.   "He started it" WILL NOT FLY.  We're not stupid, and if we think you're flame-baiting someone you're the one we're going to deal with more harshly.

3)  Troll.  You want to know what trolling is?  Read this thread all the way through.  Trolling is deliberately posting inflamatory comments designed to start just this kind of back-and-forth ranting.  Trolling typically involves blatant ignorance, arrogance, and a high degree of baseless hostility.  Normally I lock threads or warn people about ripping them off the topic before it even gets near this point, but because of the behavior of this individual I chose instead to make an example of him since he's done it every freaking time he's been here.

A word to all would-be trolls:  find a bridge somewhere.  I don't care how smart you think you are, or how smart you actually may be.  If you can't show respect toward our other forum members then get lost.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: