2024-04-27, 23:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Guys, just remember...  (Read 3049 times)
o'dium

Spectre

« on: 2005-02-08, 14:18 »

Guys, just remember that r_roundImagesDown is not off by default in Quake 3, so for the next patch can you either;

A) Resize all art assets to power of two texture or
B) make r_roundImagesDown "0" by default in Generations.

These are a few pics popping up, the worst case is the HUD art. They are in odd sizes (640x48?) and even though it appears for the most part higher res than 512x64, you are actually loosing data in the rounding up process, and so the hud appears blurey. COme on guys, "do it" :p
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-02-08, 17:29 »

Doh!  I hate r_roundimagesdown, but I didn't know about the GL "power of two" formatting until well after we had made some of the models and textures early on.  r_ variables like r_roundimagesdown are very hard to force defaults on because they are hardcoded in quake3.exe and don't have a reference in the cvar archive for cgame, game, or the ui code.  We can FORCE an r_ variable to a specific value, but we can't "default" it unless we have the quake 3 engine source and create our own gen-specific engine.

Gen 1.0 is going to be a full version, so we'll look into optimizing the graphics formats at some point along the way, and test with rounddown set to 0 and 1 to make sure things don't go blurry from that.  Hud graphics are tough because of size constraints, but we'll see what we can do.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
o'dium

Spectre

« Reply #2 on: 2005-02-08, 20:23 »

Remember its only power of two that you should be using. 2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048 etc etc.

As for HUD graphics, does Quake 3 not use auto scaling? In other words, if a picture takes up 64x64 screen space, yo ucan still use a 512x512 picture to fill that small gap up? It not, ghey lol, i would of thought Q3 would have it. In other words, you should be able to use a 1024x128 picture for your hud bars just fine and Q3 will size it for you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: