2024-04-28, 02:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Writer arrested for terrorism (Hello? First amendment anyone?)  (Read 4850 times)
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« on: 2005-03-04, 17:50 »

http://www.lex18.com/Global/story.asp?S=2989614
Kentucky?s Lex 18 news site reports that an 18-year-old high-school student is facing terrorist threat charges because of a zombie story he wrote for his English class.
[sarcasm]Heh. Land of the free. [/sarcasm]
« Last Edit: 2005-03-04, 17:53 by Footman » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-03-04, 18:02 »

I'm glad they're keeping the streets safe for.. everyone who fears.. zombie.. tales!

Teach a nation's people to have lots of fear of war and terrorism, and thought crime is indeed next on the list.
« Last Edit: 2005-03-04, 18:16 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2005-03-04, 18:04 »

I see two possible scenarios here.  First, that the student actually did write threatening material and is now trying to cover it up, or second, that he's telling the truth and the authorities are seriously overstepping their bounds.  I think the latter is probably the case here.  It's sad when it comes to this, but not unexpected.  They've had elementary school kids get in serious trouble for drawing pictures of guns, one instance in particular involved a kid drawing a picture of his father or brother (forget the exact relation) who is in the US Marines.  Well, what do Marines carry around?

This paranoia has got to stop.  How far away from "thought crime" are we at this point?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
t0ts

Imp

« Reply #3 on: 2005-03-04, 23:21 »

Blame the patriot act, dictators are paranoid, Bush is paranoid Slipgate - WTF
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2005-03-05, 05:31 »

I know Bush and the Patriot Act are nice scapegoats, but you need to see that this is a problem that extends far beyond the blame game of current political convenience.  Abuses of power are most harmful when they're at the local levels since those most directly affect people.  Anyone can elect a president out of office in 4 years, but police and local government officials tend to be harder to deal with.  The problem is that this sort of paranoia is widespread, not restricted to the Federal government, and all it takes is a lack of oversight and some trigger-happy yahoo with a badge to make someone's life a living hell.  After all, it wasn't the FBI, or the CIA or the NSA that got this kid.  The local authorities did.
« Last Edit: 2005-03-05, 05:31 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #5 on: 2005-03-05, 22:41 »

This doesn't surprise me in the least. I remember near the end of summer there was a practical joke involving the smoking ban in Lextington. It was done over the radio and fooled alot of people. I and many others thought it was funny as hell. They told everybody that a new law was passed and you went aloud to smoke in your cars anymore, or face a ticket. LOL! Well the DJ's involved lost thier jobs over it and got so other crazy charges along with it. So this thing with this high school student does'nt surprise me. BTW in case you were wondering I lived not 10 minutes away from there.[Lexington]. Anyways that 18 news seemed to me as gossip news. Though thats my opinion.

McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #6 on: 2005-03-08, 00:41 »

A nice scape goat huh? I don't remember witch hunts of this magnitude in the Clinton Administration....

This is utter, utter bullshit and I detest. Americans are paranoid as hell, so much in fact that they would turn in their -ahem- subversive grandchildren. This is an outrage.

Beer? I'm down.
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #7 on: 2005-04-02, 05:09 »

Quote from: Footman
http://www.lex18.com/Global/story.asp?S=2989614
[sarcasm]Heh. Land of the free. [/sarcasm]
Welcome to public schools in 2005. School "zero-tolerance" policies make Babylon 5's fictional Nightwatch secret police look benign. Gotta keep those kids away from such dangerous ideas such as guns and zombies... Idiot
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: