2024-03-29, 16:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Book You Should Read  (Read 4817 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2005-03-20, 12:56 »

I don't make recomendations too often, but I hear so many people who want to or might be willing to believe in God if God weren't the way many people make Him out to be.  Well, I would like to ask a favor of you.  I would like you to read the following book:

My Descent Into Death
by Howard Storm

Now if you don't want to buy it, just find a bookstore that carries it and read it in the store, or find a library that may have it and check it out.  Read it completely, with an open mind, and then draw your own conclusions.  It's yours to accept or reject at will, but do this for me, as a favor.  I won't say anything upfront about it except that the message is the one I've been trying to convey for a very long time, and some of the the rather unusual facts presented are absolutely congruent with information that I've known that is not readily available to most people.  Please, if you want to understand the nature of God, as He truly is, and not how so many have painted Him to be, it is worth the small amount of time to read this, no matter what you believe right now.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #1 on: 2005-03-20, 19:48 »

i cant get past the title. its a buzz killer.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2005-03-20, 20:01 »

I think if I would feel compelled to believe in any god, I'd be able to get the proper belief about him/her/it from within myself, by observing the world and by searching for enlightenment in more or less the Buddhist way -- by no means from a book presenting 'facts'.
I prefer reading the opinions of philosphers over those of theologists (if the author is one), because the former actually theorize and contemplate from a standpoint of uncertainty, inviting discussion and opposing ideas, whereas the latter mostly seem to want you to believe something because they have an unyielding belief in something.
If there exists a god, with a true nature that can be known, I'm sure I'll be able to find that without the help of specific literature.

However, if I find it, I shall definitely give it a read. I'm sure it beats reading the bible, which just has too many pages altogether ;]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #3 on: 2005-03-21, 06:10 »

a good book indead.

McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #4 on: 2005-03-21, 22:05 »

Quote from: Little Washu
a good book indead.
I doubt you can even read.

Beer? I'm down.
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #5 on: 2005-03-22, 06:48 »

That was completely uncalled for... really... greif for a spelling misteak.
« Last Edit: 2005-03-22, 06:48 by Little Washu » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2005-03-22, 08:21 »

Tab:  I understand your position.  The reason I recommend this is that while it is an anecdotal account, it affirms everything I understand about God as well as the nature of reality.  The scientific term for this is "convergence"; where two differing origins arrive at the same conclusion.  The "nature of God", etc, is in full agreement with my understanding, which began a long time before I ever read text from the bible.  In a sense it also allows one to get inside my head a little bit without me having to write a huge narrative or go into organized writing/preaching/philosophizing.  I'll be more than happy to compare notes with anyone who reads this work and discuss specific points should they wish it.  If not, well that's ok too. Slipgate - Smile

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: