2024-04-26, 10:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: A fun project  (Read 82056 times)
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #60 on: 2005-04-09, 18:49 »

I'm more worried about attempts to hijack the thread :]

So far I haven't had a single 'offer I could not refuse' - just make sure the money's right when you give it a shot ;]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #61 on: 2005-04-10, 18:54 »

I knew I should have brought money , do you accept souls to ?
o'dium

Spectre

« Reply #62 on: 2005-04-10, 19:43 »

Oi, i wasn't stealing nobody :p Just loved the work he did on those hands a while back, looking for some hands me'self Slipgate - Wink
nobody

Spectre

« Reply #63 on: 2005-04-11, 15:14 »

I don't know why, but this thread makes me want to say "Klaatu barada nikto"

Slipgate - Smile
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #64 on: 2005-04-11, 16:11 »

Whats that mean?

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #65 on: 2005-04-11, 16:14 »

Please, stop using the thread as an IRC channel people. I'm pretty serious about doing some pimpwork here sooner or later, but I don't like to do it in a 'rants and randomness' type setting. If it's too hard to keep on-topic, I'll close the thread and simply update here without allowing comments.

Edit: so that means that if you understand and agree with the above, you won't post 'okay, sorry' or something like that, because that would be chatting - the absence of unrelated posts will be interpreted as agreement - and I will in return silently thank you by not responding to .. ehr.. the not-post.
« Last Edit: 2005-04-11, 16:15 by Tabun » Logged

Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #66 on: 2005-04-11, 17:43 »

Hmm, gonna go  Slipgate - Off Topic here for a sec...
Just kidding Slipgate - Smile *cough*

Just wondering, if this goes well (and given the nod to release it alongside Gen), are more classic player models in store?

EDIT: Just realised how bloody formal that question sounded.... so...

Rephrase: 'r j00 doing moer modles aft3r dis tabb3h?'
« Last Edit: 2005-04-11, 17:45 by Daedalus » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #67 on: 2005-04-17, 21:48 »

That really depends on a few things:

a. How we're al feeling about resurgence when the time comes. If nobody gives a shit, or nobody's working on it, I'm not going to make a shitload of models that will not see any use just for the hell of it. If it becomes a big hit, then I'll probably do a lot for it.

b. How foxable it all gets. If this player model can't even be linked to, for example, I'm not really motivated to do any more.

c. How happy I'll be with the result. If it sucks, I'll just stick to other stuff, like texture sets for mappers. No sense in wasting effort on a lost cause.

----

And to prove that (although I have been 'sitting still' for a while) this project is not canceled:

Another progress shot.

Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #68 on: 2005-04-18, 04:54 »

Nice.

You ARE gonna put grainier layers on that skin, right? It just looks too "smooth" ATM.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #69 on: 2005-04-18, 07:33 »

complete "perfect" skin, then proceed to detail it.

pretty standard procedure.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #70 on: 2005-04-18, 08:29 »

The Enforcer has always been my favorite Q1 enemy... "Freeze!" *zap* *zap*... and that weird breathing howl thing they did while walking around. And the fact they just looked cool...

Looks badass, Tab... as always. Slipgate - Smile

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #71 on: 2005-04-18, 13:59 »

It's questions like that that generally make me think twice before showing W.I.P's. Assume I'll do a good job, if I say it's done and it sucks, then let me know ;]

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #72 on: 2005-04-18, 15:34 »

Right... forgot to ask last time.. but... you gonna animate the thing too? Granted that's still a ways yet.. but the HeLLSpAwN is curious. Slipgate - Laugh

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #73 on: 2005-04-18, 15:44 »

That's why I rigged it in the first place :]
At the moment I just have doom's .bip (Steeds CharStud movement files) in place so I could make an actual Q3 Pk3 for testing purposes, but I'll get him proper movement when the skin is done.

death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #74 on: 2005-04-18, 21:31 »

Wow, exellent model so far:) .

I'd love to see that one on the battle field. How slim are the chances of it being in Gen anyway? If I'm not mistaken someone mentioned in order for a model to be in Gen it has to already be in  q3...if I'm correct

P.S. I just love the face through the visor... <3 Great job!!!!

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #75 on: 2005-04-19, 00:56 »

Well, what we need is for Id to not say "Thou shalt not" since it resembles a Q1 enemy.  They did allow the Reborn models out as PPM's, so there's a chance it'll be ok.  We'll find out for sure first.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
o'dium

Spectre

« Reply #76 on: 2005-04-19, 14:52 »

When we emailed id about our rt/rm project they said everything was fine. The problems arise when you steal the media from the other games. You see, even though i was making q2 media for q2, they could be downloaded and used in anything, so at the end of the day, what i was really doing was making media q2 style, that could be used anywhere.

Now id dont mind this, as long as everything we made was new, nothing was ripped from past games, and id were credited for the old stuff.

Seeing as Tabun is making a new PPM model, it shouldn't hurt, because everything he has done is fresh, its all his work. Its just "based" on a model id did ten years ago, and as long as you put "based on he work of id software" in your read me file with the model, you should be good to go.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #77 on: 2005-04-19, 15:07 »

What the Q2 gen team saw was that even if id has no problems with the content, its distributors have a huge say in things; likeness of character can be and is protected by copyright (includes monsters). So while id will probably simply be flattered by our efforts, Activision might not, or at least not make it play any part in their foxing decisions.
I'm not sure if I remember the name correctly, but I think it was the Hunt team that remade all the Doom monsters, and got foxed like nobody's business.. I don't think we're home-free yet.

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #78 on: 2005-04-19, 16:31 »

Yeah that was Reborn. It was the monsters that got them in the most trouble, if I recall correctly
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #79 on: 2005-04-19, 17:47 »

To my knowledge, the main reason Q2 Generations got foxed is because it ripped items -- textures, sounds, models, etc. -- from Id's property. Things that were recreated by hand, such as the models for their Wolf3D and Doom classes, were okay, but everything else that was just "ported" would have had to be replaced. That's what I remember reading when the project was foxed.

I think the reason that Reborn got the axe wasn't so much because of the likenesses of the models -- they could have fought that by citing the "legal" portions of Q2Gen -- but because they were attempting to fully recreate Doom with the Quake 3 engine. That goes beyond using the likenesses of Id's property.

I guess the line gets drawn at the questions "Are they using things that in every way, shape, and form are our property?" and "Is this something that we have already made available and could potentially lose money from?" This model wasn't ripped directly from Quake, it doesn't look exactly like the Quake Enforcer, it won't have the exact same sounds, it won't have the exact same animations -- and even if Resurgence is ever done, it still won't be exactly the same as what it is based on.

If this model is illegal for being based on the likeness of an entity from Id's Quake... then a large portion of Generations Arena (including, but not limited to, weapon and ammo pickups) does not walk the line, it crosses into illegality. And unless I'm living in the Twilight Zone, all of that is legal.

But hey, better to check and be sure...
« Last Edit: 2005-04-19, 17:54 by Makou » Logged

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: