2024-04-29, 00:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Watch Where You Surf... (This one is serious)  (Read 5558 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2006-01-03, 03:35 »

Unlike most attacks, which require victims to download or execute a suspect file, the new vulnerability makes it possible for users to infect their computers with spyware or a virus simply by viewing a web page, e-mail or instant message that contains a contaminated image.
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/0d644d5e-7bb3-11d...00779e2340.html

This one affects ALL versions of Windows.  There is no patch for it yet either, so be damned careful.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #1 on: 2006-01-06, 08:08 »

Microsoft has apparently released the official patch for this exploit. Whether it truly fixes the problem is something I don't know, and if you're still running a version that they no longer officially support, you're probably screwed. Still, I figure it's worth mentioning.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #2 on: 2006-01-06, 09:12 »

So the update was for this exploit. At least they reacted.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2006-01-06, 10:42 »

Yes, the patch is out to fix this.  Here is the security bulletin.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2006-01-06, 18:13 »

Thanks Phoenix. we best lay off the jpegs for awhile.......
t0ts

Imp

« Reply #5 on: 2006-01-06, 23:55 »

Does it affect you if you use another browser?
Can an antivirus like Symantec Client Security keep you safe from it?
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2006-01-07, 00:56 »

I think I'm going to surf dangerously, just for kicks. Let's see how bad this baby really is!

/me chuckles like a nutter then scurries off..

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2006-01-07, 04:04 »

Tab:  Bad boy!  Bad!  No cookie for you! Slipgate - Grin

Tots:  It's a flaw in the graphics rendering engine portion of Windows, specifically GDI32.dll.  It's a problem with the way it handles WMF metafile images, regardless of what the files are named.  Windows has this habit of just passing things off to the default handler instead of checking to see "oh wait, you're different from what you're supposed to be so I should alert the user".  It's the difference between pass by default and fail by default when an anomalous condition arises.  Fail by default is safe, but user-intensive.  Pass by default is dangerous, but requires no user intervention.  Guess which route Microsoft usually takes?  Guess why their OS gets hacked every other week?

It's true that Mozilla and Opera usually prompt you as to "what to do with a file" instead of just opening it, but that depends on your settings.  Also, if you do accidentally open the file, you're screwed since (guess what) it's getting passed off to Windows.  Then there's third-party utility programs like Google Desktop to worry about, browser toolbars, etc....  Let's not even bring up spyware infections that circumvent everything.  That's the problem with OS-level vulnerabilities.  Sure, the frontend browser itself might be safe, but something else might act stupid and dump it back to the OS.

The only safe thing to do is patch Windows.  Go run Windows Update if you haven't already.
Slipgate - Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: