2024-03-28, 20:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Little Puzzle For You (Science types might enjoy this)  (Read 4326 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2006-02-13, 05:53 »

Phoenix likes puzzles.  I won't say whether I know the answer or not, I'm curious as to how people will approach this one. Slipgate - Smile

A light wave is traveling directly toward a supermassive black hole.  Once the light wave enters the black hole's gravity well, what happens to its velocity?  Here's a hint, spoiler tagged:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #1 on: 2006-02-13, 09:57 »

I might learn how to apply Einstein's formula this year, or the next year. One thing is for sure: I haven't learned that yet. Post it again in 2 years. Slipgate - Laugh

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2006-02-13, 10:33 »

It's my understanding that as light approaches warped space, it follows said contour. As a black hole represents a distortion of space, the light will continue at a velocity *cough* relative to the warped space.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
BiGRoB85

Gladiator

« Reply #3 on: 2006-02-13, 18:05 »

My answer is spoiler-tagged:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-BigRob85

(Not so) Proudly turning dual gats into BFGs since 2004!
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2006-02-14, 23:10 »

Light travels at different speeds depending on the medium it travels though. I believe it would tavel faster than what we consider to be 'the speed of light' If it didn't travel at different speeds, glasses would not work, and so we wouldn't even be able to see this forum, let alone a black hole.

Doom - Huh?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: