2024-04-19, 22:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Starforce Copy Protection  (Read 3680 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2006-03-03, 03:13 »

Starforce is a software copy protection tool installed by PC game publishers, which is designed to prevent the casual copying of retail CDROM applications. It installs as a hidden device driver, without the end-user's knowledge or consent.
http://www.glop.org/starforce/

I've heard of various types of CD copy protection used on games, but this is the first time I've heard of hardware failure resulting from one.  I suggest checking this out if you own any of the listed games.  Personally I'm getting fed up with people wanting to install hidden crap on our computers when we buy something.  It should be illegal.  After all, you're not allowed to hack into their servers and force software on them.  Imagine if telemarketers were allowed to bug your telephone.  Where does it end?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #1 on: 2006-03-03, 10:44 »

Fortunatly, I have no games in that list, but this is very absurd.

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2006-03-03, 11:51 »

I actually returned a copy of Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones after installing it, no starforce for angst, thanks... Looks like I'm going console for that title :b. I've already had to reformat my lil brother's system because starforce managed to disable his cd-rw. Snuck in on a copy of Etherlords II I got the kid for xmas...

From what I've managed to dig up, it looks like starforce packetsniffs disc burns, resulting in buffer errors, speed drops, and in some cases, hardware failure.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #3 on: 2006-03-03, 15:37 »

A while ago a mate loaned me a legit copy of Bet On Soldier. After deciding it was crap, I uninstalled it and gave it back the following week.

Lately I've been having problems with my CD and DVD drives. I originally put it down to the fact that they were old and decrepit (the DVD drive is 5 years old!), but I haven't been able to burn CD's since. After a complete system failure (WPA-related, no less Slipgate - Wink ) I was forced to format my HD and reinstall everything. Except that I couldn't. Anything I installed from my slave HD worked fine, but I haven't been able to install any CD-based programs and I have tried using my spare CD drive to no avail. I've tried the disks out on another mate's PC and they are all fine.

Fortunately, I keep a spare but super-slow 40GB HD with all my progs installed on it as a backup, but it is quite possible that this game has finally killed off my PC.

I've emailed the link to my mate who has BoS as a heads-up. I just hope his PC hasn't suffered the same fate.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: