2024-04-25, 22:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: UT2007 Previews (The Shack's Got 'Em)  (Read 11356 times)
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #20 on: 2006-03-13, 17:41 »

UT's Bio Rifle is one of the coolest weapons in any shooter. Particularly the alt-fire: charge up, wait for some unwitting sucker to stray into your path and slime 'em!

BTW: Yes, Sham. Malice rocks  Slipgate - Thumbs up!

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #21 on: 2006-03-13, 18:09 »

I used a mod in ut to turn all the weapons intobioguns. a kind of 'arena' mod. took me ages to find it. we all sucked against the bot, at a fairly normal setting. every other weapon, we owned them. they were just so much sharper with it than we were. apart from the alt fire, I always thought it was a bit underpowered though. I think that the sludge should have smoked a bit. rather than just lying there....

reason I believe they dropped the ripper? too much processing power needed if a lot of blades were bouncing around, (which they did when I used the afore mentioned mod!)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #22 on: 2006-03-13, 18:32 »

I don't get that though.  Bouncing stuff in Quake doesn't really eat CPU power and not much netcode either.  You just do a vector calculation and send an event to make the bounce noise and maybe some kind of impact effect.  I've played Reckoning over the net many times and the Ion ripper bounces a hell of a lot more than UT's ripper, especially if you get dualfire (2x weapon haste) and it causes no appreciable lag at all.  Unless UT is very inefficient with its projectile calculations, which I won't rule out.  I've never really played it much online, only twice I think on dialup.  The only time I'll admit that I actually outright camped (outside of CS) was during one of these sessions, and it's a rather funny story.  I'll have to share it sometime. Slipgate - Wink

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #23 on: 2006-03-13, 20:39 »

i've just run an all-ripper game on deck 17. there was no lag i could see. another reason to play original ut? the best babes.....

if anyone wants the arena mod, let me know.
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #24 on: 2006-03-15, 10:55 »

Quote from: scalliano
UT's Bio Rifle is one of the coolest weapons in any shooter. Particularly the alt-fire: charge up, wait for some unwitting sucker to stray into your path and slime 'em!

I have always liked the bio-rifle, but I think Unreal Championship 2 does it the best.

Primary fire shoots "smart" globs of goo that bounce after enemies for a short duration.  Secondary fire is a press and hold affair that shoots one giant glob of "smart" goo.  (One thing to note about the "smart" globs though, they will go after you if there are no other enemies or you cross their path.)

Here's the really nifty part though...

While holding down secondary fire, you can also launch the glob of goo by pressing primary fire.  If you do this and let go of secondary fire while the glob is airborne, it explodes and forms a poisonous cloud.

UC2 has this level of functionality for nearly every weapon.  For instance...

You can "freeze" shock balls from the Shock Rifle for a limited period of time and use them to get the drop on unsuspecting foes coming about a corner by using the shock combo.

Secondary fire for the Ripjack energizes the blade causing it to explode upon hitting something.  Using it in conjuction with primary fire allows you to place the blades so they function like proximity mines.

The tarydium minigun gradually begins to heat up, causing the gun to fire faster and the shards to do more damage.  With proper timing, usage of the primary and secondary fire causes the minigun to fire at advanced speed from the get go.

Oh and this will be even more offtopic, but...

We really should all get together and play Malice online some time.  I've played the mutli-player once, but I don't remember what it was like all that well.
« Last Edit: 2006-03-15, 10:56 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: