2024-04-20, 02:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Misuse of Video Games  (Read 5708 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2006-05-05, 19:11 »

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The makers of combat video games have unwittingly become part of a global propaganda campaign by Islamic militants to exhort Muslim youths to take up arms against the United States, officials said on Thursday.

Tech-savvy militants from al Qaeda and other groups have modified video war games so that U.S. troops play the role of bad guys in running gunfights against heavily armed Islamic radical heroes, Defense Department official and contractors told Congress.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060504/us_nm/...videogames_dc_4
Sick, but not unexpected.  Unfortunately and also as expected, the same usual people are trying to pin this one on the video games themselves instead of putting the blame where it really belongs.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #1 on: 2006-05-05, 20:30 »

Hmm ... not a big fan of BF2 - how's about GTA: Baghdad? [/sarcasm]

Not unexpected in the least, but it's not to say that the games industry itself  is completely innocent.

*cough* America's Army *cough*

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #2 on: 2006-05-06, 09:27 »

*cough*AA=MILITARY PROPAGANDA*cough*.
I can see it now: the associations for the rights of animals (You know, the guys 'n gals that have ioga lessons with their dogs) are going to rant about videogames where we can kill animals.

OK, now on a serious matter, this was not a surprise. And yes, Phoenix, they blame VGs yet again, since it's so easy and cheap to do so.
Ah well, since this kind of matter has been discussed over and over again, cya.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2006-06-08, 17:52 »

A friend just sent me this little gem:
There are reports that the Pentagon and defense contractor SAIC in early May showed footage from a standard add-on package to the Electronic Arts popular Battlefield 2 video game, claiming it was a clever al Qaeda manipulation of that game that was being used for propaganda....

...Gamepolitics tracked down the person who they claim married the Team America voice over narration to the Battlefield 2 footage and released it online -- a 25 year old Dutch Morroccan named Samir who uses the online name Sonic Jihad (he got the name from a song by the rapper Paris.)
http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatch/arch...ves/006555.html

So it turns out that these geniuses in Washington did not do their homework and are making their reports based on completely erroneous information.  Funny, didn't a war start a few years ago because of faulty intelligence?  If they can't even tell a hacked-together "shits and giggles" video based on a video game expansion and an audio clip from South Park and instead mistake it for Islamic propaganda, what else have they been getting wrong all this time?  Sometimes I wish it were possible to strangle these people with their own incompetence.[/color]

Visimar

Archvile

« Reply #4 on: 2006-06-08, 23:48 »

The US goverment actually labeled a simple game mod as THAT? My, what dark and stupid times this world has fallen into... *Falls over, brain fried*

Slipgate - Off Topic
I need sleep... o___________o
Slipgate - Off Topic
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2006-06-09, 04:42 »

Oh who gives a shit  how those cave dwellers play games. Ever hear of "under ash?" it sucked ass.These are people who think no jews died on 9/11. spork em.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2006-06-09, 16:15 »

You kind of missed the point of my last post.  It had to do with the government getting their intelligence wrong.  I don't give a damn what Al Qaida plays for giggles, I'm concerned with what these imbeciles in Washington do.  You know, like trying to pass laws banning video games that they think might "help the terrorists train for their Jihad"?  I'm saying that if they don't have their facts straight about something as simple as video games, then odds are they're screwing up big time where it really counts, which is negligent at best and criminal at worst.  Their incompetence endangers the lives of countless people.  That's my rant here.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: