2024-04-19, 07:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WTF is Pay by Postal Orders  (Read 5022 times)
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« on: 2006-05-28, 18:29 »

I'm trying to buy something from the Internet, but as you can clearly imagine, my parents don't trust this pay with credit card stuff. Since what I want to buy is from Amazon.co.uk, I can't pay through cheques. But then there's this other pay method: pay by postal order. Can you please explain what this is? Do you grab some money, put in an envelope and mail the envelope to them OR do I pay it once the shipped product arrives?

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2006-05-28, 18:32 »

http://www.answers.com/topic/postal-order

By the way, here's a nice site where you can find answers to this kind of question:

www.google.com  Slipgate - Smirk Slipgate - Smile

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #2 on: 2006-05-28, 19:06 »

I have had no problem using Amazon and paying by Credit card.
Ask your parents to reconsider. It is the safest option in my opinion, if any thing does go wrong you can get a refund from your Credit card company, and also Amazon have a good refund policy.

Will everybody stop getting shot.......
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #3 on: 2006-05-28, 19:10 »

So this only applies to the UK...

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2006-05-28, 20:13 »

your parents are quacks kruz. I buy more stuff online with my credit card than i do off line and i have never had any proublem.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #5 on: 2006-05-28, 21:20 »

Let's call them "Old School" instead. But this credit card stuff scares almost every single person around here. They don't trust. Go figure.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #6 on: 2006-06-04, 11:23 »

I've just come across this thread, having been away. I live in the UK, and to my knowledge, nobody uses postal orders anymore. they must still be around, but I havent even heard the words for about 15 years!

if its not sorted, as a UK resedent can I help? you could send me a cheque and I could use credit card for you.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2006-06-04, 20:39 »

Rule of online shopping:  Credit card = good, real money = bad.  Real money (checks, money orders, etc) people can abscond with and not send you your item.  They also can get lost in transit.  Checks also have that little think called a bank acount number on them.  Do you really want to give that information out to someone you do not know is legit or not?

Credit cards have the benefit of usually having a maximum of $50 liability.  That is, you see suspicious activity, and report the number stolen, you're out $50 at the MOST, regardless of how much the thief charges on the stolen number.  You get issued a new card.  Big deal.  Some cards even have a zero liability provision.  Some card issuers have "red flag" triggers that will result in a call to you to verify activity.  Say, someone makes $300 worth of purchases at various places in Michigan, and you live in the UK, and bought gas on the card a day prior, that may trigger a "might be stolen" flag and they'll get in touch with you to see if you actually made those purchases.  Credit cards offer the best options for fraud protection.  You lose money from a bank account... good luck recovering it.

There's also the Paypal service.  I do not use Paypal, so I can't comment on it except that I did not like their terms and conditions when I investigated an account.  Maybe it's changed since then, I don't know, but at the time it required a bank account to be tied into it.  I do NOT like the idea of ever putting real money at risk, and bank account information is something I don't think anyone should ever allow over the internet.  I won't put anyone's account info on my own system, nor do online banking, no matter how much they may trust me incase I should ever get hacked or get a virus.  I figure the best security is to just keep it away from the net entirely.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #8 on: 2006-06-04, 22:40 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Say, someone makes $300 worth of purchases at various places in Michigan, and you live in the UK,
BAT found this out on his recent trip to texas. it helped him get a date with the girl in the shop, who loved his accent, apparently.....

paypal is a little different now, its tied to a credit card.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: