2024-03-28, 11:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HDR Lightning on QIIIA (It can be done)  (Read 5239 times)
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« on: 2006-07-11, 08:25 »

<span style='color:orange'>I'm not trying to make propaganda to this mod, but I found this quite interesting and worthy of posting. Check this out:</span>
HDR Lighting  7/7/2006 - 04 PM CET

Just a quick update on the progress of our maps. You've been hearing about HDR lighting and texture tone mapping for some time now. Ever wonder what it was exactly and how it will benefit the game? Read below:

Coroner is currently finalizing the lighting in all seven release maps using TCE's new strongly improved q3map2 tool.

All maps will feature TCE's high dynamic range (HDR) lightmap technology and dynamic eye adaptation. We are very proud that TCE will be probably the first game that uses a completely new, psychophysically motivated way to compute lightmaps and lighting, so far only known from professional rendering programs and scientific publications.

The advantage for the player is a much higher degree of realism, which basically has the potential to turn map shots into real life pictures.

Finally, with this step, TCE is able to overcome all downsides of traditional light computation in games. Realistic light falloff and scattering of sun and sky light into rooms are now possible like never seen before.

To achieve this effect, TCE's HDR technology renders all map lighting with physically correct settings of light source luminances and transforms the physical light information to how the human eye would perceive it.

This static tonemapping of the lightmaps based on the global setting of the map (night, day) is then combined with TCE's dynamic eye adaptation which simulates the adaptation of the human eye to brighter and darker parts of the scene.

While dynamic eye is client side configurable and can be switched if unwanted (or if FPS is impacted on old hardware), all TCE gamers will be able to benefit from TCE's new lightmap rendering technology.

The below shots show some WIP with low lightmap resolution (will be 4 times higher in final game):

Diane
G6/TeamTerminator Development Team
<span style='color:orange'>If you go to their website, the True Combat Elite site (a mod for W:ET), they have a few screens showing off the HDR in the maps.</span>
« Last Edit: 2007-07-21, 15:11 by Tabun » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2006-07-11, 16:09 »

Would be better if their screenshots didn't all link back to their main page.  Kind of hard to tell much from thumbnails.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #2 on: 2006-07-18, 09:57 »

Well, it's a pop-up.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2006-07-18, 19:53 »

No, I mean the screenshots link back to the main page.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: