2024-04-20, 07:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Trek: Hidden Frontier (Where no fan film has gone b4)  (Read 6542 times)
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« on: 2006-07-25, 06:04 »

This is one of my guily pleasures as of late. It isn't too bad for a budget of $500 per episode.

Star Trek: Hidden Frontier

Beer? I'm down.
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #1 on: 2006-07-25, 06:49 »

Should tide me over until the next Braga-Berman disaster.  Thumbs up!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2006-07-25, 16:17 »

I don't know if we'll be having any more of those.  I liked every Star Trek series until they made Enterprise.  How it lasted more than one season, I have no idea.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2006-07-25, 16:50 »

Nifty.  I generally appreciate most fan films so I'll check this series out when I have some time to kill.  Good find McDeth. Slipgate - Smile

And to dive a bit  Slipgate - Off Topic
Quote from: Phoenix
I liked every Star Trek series until they made Enterprise.  How it lasted more than one season, I have no idea.
I completely agree!  Slipgate - Laugh

That said, I did stumble upon an Enterprise episode I actually enjoyed.  It's the episode that showcases some borg Archer stumbles upon frozen in Antartica.

It was included on the recently released Borg Collection DVD set.

I also never realized Enterprise was set before the original series.  I kept wondering why they were all wearing jumpsuits. :p

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2006-07-25, 17:19 »

The fact that it was set before the original series is what I disliked most.  If you watch Enterprise, then watch the original series, it makes absolutely NO sense why the original series looked the way it did.  If it's one thing I hate in a spinoff it's breaking continuity with previous series.  Breaking continuity on a minor plot point I can accept.  They broke the entire Star Trek universe with that series.
« Last Edit: 2006-07-25, 17:20 by Phoenix » Logged

McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #5 on: 2006-07-27, 08:23 »

They messed up big time with Enterprise.

Star Trek is supposed to be a progression, exploration. I don't need this stuff that I already know shoved down my throat. I want to see some Borg, I want to see some Founders, I want to see some Breen. Not a Vulcan/Andorian pissing contest.

Beer? I'm down.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2006-07-27, 18:59 »

I want to see that machine planet that V'Ger came from.

Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #7 on: 2006-07-27, 22:15 »

Unlike some others in the ST fanbase, I am not a total fanwanker. I judge the series not on their so-called continuity (which hasn't ever been consistent, so there's really no reason), but on the merits of writing, character design, and acting. The plots on Voyager declined due to lack of material in the Delta Quadrant, but at least it had a memorable cast. The Dominion Wars were compelling, but with the exception of Worf (who's a transplant anyway), Dukat, and a few others, its characters were blah. (I could've done without the Emissary stuff, anyway.) Enterprise had none of the above.
You know, the next ST movie is set to be in Kirk's era, supposedly on Kirk himself. This is undoubtedly going to drive fanwankers crazy, but as long as the Two Horsemen of the Trekopalypse stay away from it, I'll have no objection to it.

HF was certainly cool, though they could at least audition their actors first so they don't end up with more Arthur Bossermans, and hone their directing skills, though I understand the limitations. There were some things that bothered me though...
« Last Edit: 2006-07-27, 22:16 by Assamite » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2006-07-28, 04:42 »

I have not seen HF, so I can't comment on it at this point.  Too busy doing Gen-related stuff.

New Star Trek movie?  About Kirk?  Kirk is dead, and Shatner's way too old to do a young Kirk.  If it's a young Kirk, and it's not played by Shatner, how can it be Kirk?  How can you have McCoy, or Scotty, with Kelley and Doohan both dead?  I'm purist enough to be bothered by this because the characters were VERY much tied to the actors that portrayed them.  Personally I think Paramount needs to stop kicking a dead horse.  Either come up with new material that expands the Star Trek universe, keeps the series interesting, and makes sense (unlike Enterprise), or else it's time to let go.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2006-07-28, 10:44 »

What about a CG Kirk and co?

Got to say I've only seen the first series of Enterprise, but I enjoyed it a lot, the 'basicness' of the equipment, the crew, I really enjoyed it.

I've now seen one episode of HF,(series 6, number 1) and thought it was ok, and will watch at least another, but some of the acting was a bit rough, and they seemed to have the wrong people in the wrong parts a lot.

Fav order for star trek series?
Next gen
enterprise
original
voyger
DS9 (hated it)

Slipgate - Off Topic I've just started watching 'dead like me' never even heard of this, living in the back of beyond like, but am really enjoying it a lot. There must be dozens of shows we in the UK never get to heard about.
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2006-07-30, 00:04 »

I might have to mess around with my codecs a bit.  The movie file for Season 1 doesn't seem to play in Quicktime nor Windows Media Player Classic with the XP codec pack.  I'm pretty sure I have the latest version of Quicktime, but I'll try uninstalling it and reinstalling it.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #11 on: 2006-07-30, 13:45 »

I hate everything to do with Enterprise, from the show's basic premise of "before Kirk" right down to the Richard Marx-esque theme tune. IMO Scott Bakula is wasted on it. AWAY AND DO ANOTHER SERIES OF QUANTUM LEAP YA BUM! Slipgate - Ninja

Paramount have really lost the plot.  I liked all the ST's up to Voyager which just about held it together. The movies have taken a dip since Picard took over, which is a shame because I really liked the series. I just hope they don't do a DS9 or Voyager movie  Banging Head against Wall

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
YicklePigeon

Ogre

« Reply #12 on: 2006-08-03, 01:43 »

Instead of doing "Enterprise" (on which I agree that Bakula's skills was wasted on that show), Paramount should have let Star Trek rest after DS9 (the Emissary stuff became too OTT for me) and Voyager (never really liked that series) had ended.  Star Trek's 9 & 10 should never have been made either.

And then done a reboot of Star Trek ala comic book series.

Regards,

Yickle.
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #13 on: 2006-08-03, 03:49 »

Reboots are a prime sign of shark-jumping. Not for the series, for the company. I guess Enterprise could be seen by some as a reboot, seeing what it did to whatever was left of "continuity".

At least we'll have the fans and their fan-films... unless draconian copyright law comes into play. You know, this may sound flippant, but if a draconian franchise can't compete with a little fan movie, then it doesn't deserve to start a copyright battle.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: