2024-04-19, 15:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SO-wned (PS3 delayed AGAIN)  (Read 5833 times)
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« on: 2006-09-06, 18:46 »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5319190.stm

This kills me. For Europe at least, Sony have effectively handed the console war over to Microsoft without a fight. Banging Head against Wall

I, for one, hate the 360. I haven't seen it do anything any decent PC can't do, yet this development will no doubt mean loads of gamers will lose patience and get one at the risk of developing arthritis from those godawful joypads. Banging Head against Wall  Banging Head against Wall

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #1 on: 2006-09-06, 21:42 »

"Bang, yer dead Max Payne"

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #2 on: 2006-09-06, 23:11 »

I don't like all consoles really (after the SNES).. much prefer playing games on the PC. So... Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo.. whatever.. they all suck. Console wars, pfeh..hmmm.. you know, that actually might make them fun though. Rig them up as those RC battlebot things and throw them into an arena to duke it out.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2006-09-07, 03:41 »

Rules for bot battle contest:
1)  User's bot must be controlled with the standard gamepad/controller that ships with the console their bot is based off of.  It's up to you to figure out how to convert this into radio signals to the bot.
2)  Game cartridge/CD/whatever must be in and actively running (demo mode or splash screen acceptible).
3)  Small tv screen must show off action and be integrated with the unit.  B&W or color, either is fine.  Caging of screen is permitted for protection, but screen must be clearly visible, images discernable, and must be forward-facing.
4)  Bot construction rules would have to be decided, but basically anything short of projectile-shooting devices and flamethrowers/explosives/hazardous chemicals would be permitted, or simply put, rules would be otherwise like your normal robot demolition match.  Stuff like chainsaws, sawblades, hammering stuff, ramming spikes, and maybe even high voltage would be permitted (Stunguns + electronics = ?).  No internal combustion engines on the chainsaws, please.
5)  Both screen and console must be connected with standard plugs, and must be easily connectable to test aparatus for post-match scoring.

Scoring during match:
1)  Resetting or glitching of your running game results in a point for the other side.
2)  Permanent Seizure of running game grants 5 points to other side.
3)  Failure of screen during match grants 5 points to other side.
4)  Immobility of a bot for any reason removes bot from match and grants 10 points to other side.

Post-match scoring:
1)  Physically damaged screen that cannot display picture grants 5 points to other side (Dead display award).
2)  Inability of physically intact console to reboot grants 10 points to other side. (Electronics failure award).
3)  Inability of physically non-intact console to reboot grants 20 points to other side (Fragged hardware award).
4)  Physically damaged console manages to boot and function normally grants you 10 points (robustness award).

Sound like fun?  These are 1 vs 1 rules of course, though a FFA might be fun to watch too, though it would have to be scored differently.  I'd love to see who won this one with whatever console on their battlebot.  I think an old Atari 2600 could work well as a battle-bot.  The old Atari housings were pretty tough too, and the innerds robust enough to take a pounding.  Personally I think it would crush the newer consoles in a bot battle.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #4 on: 2006-09-07, 04:59 »

Food for thought: Just about any time someone's "damaged tested" the consoles in a given generation (at least recently), Nintendo's has been the last one standing.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Visimar

Archvile

« Reply #5 on: 2006-09-07, 06:31 »

Quote from: Makou
Food for thought: Just about any time someone's "damaged tested" the consoles in a given generation (at least recently), Nintendo's has been the last one standing.
No kidding. I've had back luck with my game Boys and they still work, except the SP...replaced that with a normal GBA.

Embarassingly, I addicently dropped a gameboy in the toilot while it was still turned on (I was so attached to it when I was little), and it still worked fine. So did the game.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2006-09-07, 07:38 »

Er... why was the gameboy in the same room as the toilet?  Slipgate - Surprised

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Visimar

Archvile

« Reply #7 on: 2006-09-07, 08:51 »

Like I said, I was really attached to it. I'd never let it go, even when I had to go to the restroom. XD
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #8 on: 2006-09-07, 12:18 »

Gameboys have always been resistant to physical shocks. In fact, when you look at a Gameboy, you can firmly say "That's one tough SOB". This, however, does not happen with the PSP or the Nintendo DS, whose aspect is fragile.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #9 on: 2006-09-07, 13:46 »

LOL, Pho! The 2600 is as tough as nails - Mine STILL WORKS! Though you do have to jam a 2p coin under the cart to get it to play Slipgate - Laugh
« Last Edit: 2006-09-07, 13:46 by scalliano » Logged

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Draco

Hell Knight

« Reply #10 on: 2006-09-15, 01:10 »

*one week later* i was talking to the gamestop clerk the other day and we got on this very subect of the play station 3 and he was telling me all about how its goign to be 600 dollars? thats INSANE! the gfx are going to be no different than the xbox 360. are they trying to make up for lost money or something? because Sony IS a small company.

In technicalities buying the xbox 360 and PS 3 is no different than buying cheap computers with buffed up gfx cards....so in reality these are good prices for something thats no different than a good computer....but in gods name they have the pretty much same gfx ....so what the fudge?  

and according to another

Sony is really in deep s--t and everyone knows it. That is why no one will buy it. As of now, its nintendo FTW~!!!!!!!! then 360 at a distant 2nd..... 

is that really true? clerk guy was saying the same thing.

Rev 9:6 "And in those days men will seek death and will not find it; they will long to die, and death flees from them."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: