2024-04-27, 18:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I hate Maxtor! (HDD's)  (Read 9289 times)
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« on: 2003-07-25, 23:09 »

Today my 3 month old 120GB 8 mb chace Maxtor HDD just died...seems like the motor has died..the hdd just don't spin up.

As you might guess im PRETTY angry for the momment cuz i've stored LOTS of IMPORTANT data on that disk...Course you are supposed to backup your important stuff which i did on my old puter...gah somedays life just SU*KS!

Well the good parts is that i did fortunate saved all my maps on my other drive, also i found a backup copy of generations and all other q3 stuff i've collected over the past 3 years.

So i doubt i'll buy a Maxtor drive again i've lost all faith in them.
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #1 on: 2003-07-25, 23:13 »

i have ancient western digital drives that only hold like 80megs that still spin up.. and ive NEVER heard of one dieing.. so imo, WD is the way to go..  i thought my 40gb WD drive was going.. turns out my mobo has power probs.. but its all good now Slipgate - Smile
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2003-07-26, 03:17 »

WD, IBM, or Seagate, good drives

Maxtor = teh suck. Ask Phoenix.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2003-07-26, 06:12 »

The only thing a Maxtor is good for is a rifle target in my opinion.  EVERY Maxtor drive sold to the general public is crap.  They put the drives with the best test ratings in the commercial PC's (Dell, Gateway, etc) and sell the leftovers to the public.  WD is good, they're fast, but they DO fail occasionally.  I've lost sectors on them before, and had some go bad myself.  WD did have some problem drives go out a few years back en masse.   The 14~16 GB models were notorious for failures.  I had the motor seize on a 20 GB myself and had to RMA it for a replacement.  I WAS able to restart it and get my data off, but I do not accept failures of any kind from a HD.  Seize once or start to develop bad sectors and the drive gets replaced, period.

Seagate drives I've had absolutely no problems with whatsoever for every one I've ever set up.  Remember that Seagate is OEM only so they do not have separate "vendor" and "retail" business models.  A Seagate is a Seagate is a Seagate, regardless of who buys it.  I'm running a 40 GB 7200 RPM drive now, and I trust it a hell of a lot more than the 30 GB WD drive I bought when I had to emergency replace the failing 20 GB drive prior to sending it back.  I use the 30 GB drive to do periodic backups of this one, just in case the devil decides to try to eat my data again.

Check out www.newegg.com and read some customer reviews for any model you're thinking of, and buy from them if you're doing it online.  They may not be the absolute lowest on Pricewatch, but they're close, their service is excellent, and I have not found any better online vendor to date.  I don't know much about international orders, so you're on your own there, but at least check the reviews out, then buy the model you like locally if it's less money and hassle than an overseas ship.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2003-07-27, 22:20 »

Yea i think seagate will be the next disk i buy. I shipped my disk back yesterday and i hope that i'll get a new or repairded drive soon. However im seriously thinking about sellin that hdd and buy a seagate drive instead... i do not want another hdd failing again!
Atom235

Pain Elemental

« Reply #5 on: 2003-07-29, 18:36 »

Awww.. poor Reboot  Slipgate - Sad . Maxtor drivers do really suck. And do you know what sucks even more? I have one 80 GB Maxtor drive. The same kind of HDD which my friend bought six months ago broke after a week of use (don't know if it's the same model). I'm walking on a thin ice with iron boots on.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2003-07-30, 21:12 »

Heh well  you better watch out atom maxtor is teh EVIL!!!!!
« Last Edit: 2003-07-30, 21:13 by ReBoOt » Logged
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2003-07-31, 20:11 »

In my old high school district, the superintendent OKed the purchase of many, many Dell computers so that every school has 30-100 computers each. All of them came with 500MHz p3 processors, 128mb ram, ATI Rage Pro vid cards and 10-gig Maxtor hard drives.

Everything was fine for a few months. Then about once a month, one of those hard drives went bad and the computer was unusable.

This purchase was made during my Junior year in high school, which would've made it.... in 1999. (Class of 2001, that's me!) Talking to my dad who teaches in this school district and a few other teachers, I've learned that they've got a stockpile of bad hard drives stashed away in a closet. I saw about 30 of them roughly.

The moral of the story?
Maxtor! BAD!  :angry:
Fire! BAD!       :angry:
Beer! GOOD!  Slipgate - Laugh

mmm... Molson Canadian... =D
Demonwench

Hans Grosse

« Reply #8 on: 2003-07-31, 20:23 »

Beer BAD!  
Wine GOOD!
Girly drinks GOOD!
Hard Liquor BAD!
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2003-08-01, 20:12 »

hehe maxtor =  VERY BAD.
I just wait for my other maxtor drive to fail, in which my boot and system partition lays.. o_O oh well i've learned to backup important data.

and oh Beer GOOD /me looks evily on DW Slipgate - Wink
wine is also good. hell almost all alcohol drinks are good Slipgate - Laugh
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #10 on: 2003-08-02, 01:17 »

Almost true reboot; excluding:

Skyy Blue (one craptastic malt beverage)
Beast (Beer... I've heard consistent horror stories)

feel free to add to this list of things we should stay away from, like Maxtor and Asus.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2003-08-02, 04:10 »

What is wrong with Asus?

Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #12 on: 2003-08-02, 04:14 »

lol, i wouldnt mine an asus board, not one of the cheaper models at that
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2003-08-02, 05:55 »

I like Asus myself.  I think what's evil is VIA's chipsets.  I've had nothing but trouble from every single one I've ever had.

Atom235

Pain Elemental

« Reply #14 on: 2003-08-02, 10:40 »

I had problems with VIA AGP minidriver in late 2002, it didn't work quite well, cause my card used PCI emulation. After that I read some stuff from net and finally found a certain beta that worked well with Geforce4 ti4200.

VIA - we connect!
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #15 on: 2003-08-03, 06:23 »

Quote from: Tekhead
feel free to add to this list of things we should stay away from, like Maxtor and Asus.
Ouzo and Rabid albino leprechauns  Slipgate - Wink
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #16 on: 2003-08-03, 19:14 »

heh im quite happy with my nforce2 chipset, tho i had via on my old board which worked quite fine from time to time. Slipgate - Wink
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #17 on: 2003-08-03, 20:15 »

MSI Mainboards ONLY for me. They've worked consistently, and are still working! =D

I convinced my friend about 2 years ago to buy an Asus motherboard along with his new system. He's had nothing but problems with it. Since he's got a high tolerance to pain, it was OK by him... I can't think of any reason he doesn't pitch it =/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: