2024-04-29, 21:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nukem High (?'s about Duke Nukem 3D)  (Read 5835 times)
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« on: 2006-11-01, 04:17 »

I must admit that I am not knowledgeable when it comes to the Duke Nukem series.  As a result, I am hoping that someone on this forum will be able to answer some questions of mine.

I recently stumbled upon two discs from the Kill-a-ton collection at a used entertainment store.  From the little that I do know, I believe the Kill-a-ton collection to be the definitive Duke Nukem collection.  I also know the Kill-a-ton collection had multiple discs, but I am uncertain of the number of discs it had.  So I purchased those two discs, and I also purchased Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition.  From my descriptions below, did I purchase unnecessary software, and am I still missing any of the content from the Kill-a-ton collection?

I've got one jewel case that says it's the GameWizards interactive game guide. The disc inside the case matches and says it's disc 2.

Then I have another jewel case that states it's Duke It Out in DC, Duke Extreme, and Duke!Zone II.   However, the CD inside states it's disc 1 and lists Duke 1, 2, 3D, and the plutonium pack.

Since I couldn't open the jewel cases at the time, I also purchased Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition.  Is there a difference between Duke Nukem 3D and the Atomic Edition of Duke Nukem 3D?

Update:

Well I managed to answer some of my own questions, but I also have a new question.

The Kill-a-ton collection is composed of 3 or more CD's.  I'm uncertain on the "or more" part.

I needlessly purchased Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition.  It's what Ultimate DOOM is to the original DOOM; the same thing plus a new episode and some updates.

I am missing the jewel case for disc 1, but I have the jewel case for disc 3 which has disc 1 inside of it.  So I am also missing disc 3.

And this is now what I'm running into trouble with.  I've tried running the installer in Win 98/ME compatibility mode with no success.
« Last Edit: 2006-11-01, 07:04 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #1 on: 2006-11-01, 07:01 »

Yes the Atomic Edition is an expansion of Duke Nukem 3d.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2006-11-01, 21:40 »

Well you have to admit, that's a damned clever error message!  I applaud the direct honesty of it.  I have the Kill-A-Ton collection too (had it original out of the box, but I didn't keep the box.  I feel ashamed).  There are exactly three disks.

Disk 1 is:

Duke Nukem 1
Duke Nukem 2
Duke Nukem 3D
Plutonium Pak
Duke Level Editor

Disk 2 is:

Game Wizards Interactive Game Guide

Disk 3 is:
Duke Windows 95 Themes and screen savers, etc.
Duke It Out in D.C.
Duke Extreme
Duke Zone II

Sucks that you only got disks 1 and 2, as disk 3 has an expansion pack on it and some crazy mods.  In my opinion it would have been better to lose Disk 2 than Disk 3.  The Atomic edition of Duke 3D is basically Duke 3D + Plutonium Pak, so yes, that was a needless purchase.

The installer is encountering one of two problems.  The first would be a kernel incompatibility.  The second would be a software limitation in regards to handling large hard drives.  In that case, the software was written when drives were smaller than 32GB and doesn't understand how to read size data on drives larger than that.  There is some good news though.  Since Duke Kill-A-Ton has a DOS-based installer, you can probably use DOSBOX to get it to install instead of using the Windows-based installer and bypass either problem this way.  You'll have to RTFM on DOSBOX's configuration to fool programs into thinking they're on a smaller drive if that's the problem it's running into, but I've installed Privateer 2 using DOSBOX, along with Wolf3d, Doom, etc, and the installers typically DO work.

So try that out.  If it works, sit back, sip on some Pom juice, and in a deep baritone voice say to yourself "Hail to the King, baby!"

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2006-11-01, 23:35 »

100% grade A man steak baby
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2006-11-02, 00:45 »

Woot!  Thanks for the information Phoenix!  I knew I remembered somebody in the channel mentioning that they had the collection.

I managed to get the Windows installer to go through by just leaving it set to the default file path and folder name.  Not quite sure why that worked, but meh, I'm not going to complain. Slipgate - Smile

The Kill-a-ton collection only being three discs means I've still got to keep my eye out for the other expansions then.  From what I read on Wikipedia, it looks like there was a Nuclear Winter and Carribean expansion that were not included in the collection.

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2006-11-02, 03:18 »

you guys are way out of date here. the duke nukem 3d source code came out ages ago and windows ports have been available for some time. Good ports too. Forget dosbox.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2006-11-02, 04:46 »

Woods... source ports are only good if you can install the game in the first place.  I was simply trying to help Kain get it installed - nowhere did I mention playing using Dosbox.  One thing at a time.

Since you mention said source ports, where's your linkage?  I say, very bad form there old chap!  Kain might want to Duke it out online at some point, and how's he going to do it if he doesn't know where to look?  Some help you've been.  Damned critics.
Slipgate - Wink

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #7 on: 2006-11-02, 18:03 »

oh just google it you deadbeat. It would have taken less time than complaining about it.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #8 on: 2006-11-03, 16:37 »

And we musn't forget this link too!

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2006-11-03, 17:56 »

Woods, are you colorblind?  Even if you are, notice the nice lines underneath certain words and phrases in my previous post?  Try clicking on them.  They actually do stuff.  Try googling "hyperlink" if you don't know what underlined text does.

Next time try actually paying attention before calling people deadbeats, deadbeat.
 Slipgate - Ninja

Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #10 on: 2006-11-06, 18:18 »

There are quite a few Mods/TC`s for Duke3d, some only work with the v1.3d version and some only work with the Atomic v1.5.

Personally I would install the Atomic version because if you go the other route you have to install Duke3dv1.3  then upgrade it to the Plutonium Pack v1.4 and sometimes this can be a real pain as the installer for the Plutonium Pack v1.4 is a bit flakey.

Also you can install another copy of the v1.3d for Mods/TC`s that only work with this version.

Will everybody stop getting shot.......
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: