2024-03-29, 13:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Get your House on!  (Read 4574 times)
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« on: 2007-07-29, 23:31 »

Well, I'm sick of being sick and I thought I'd entertain everyone's suggestions as to what ails me...

So my story starts back in the last week of June.

My girlfriend came to visit me and during the course of this, I developed a minor sore throat.

The following week, I flew out to Jupiter, FL for a few days not feeling any better or worse.

During the same week, I flew out to Queens, NY.  There I had a severe sneezing fit for what I thought to be allergies.  This led to what I believe to be a sinus infection.  I had flu-like symptoms with nasal and ear congestion.  I started taking Tylenol Cold.

On the flight back to FL, I temporarily lost my hearing due to changes in pressure and ear congestion.  Upon a visit to a walk-in medical, I discovered I had a double ear infection. I was prescribed Clarithromycin and advised to take Mucinex DM to help get rid of congestion.  I stopped taking Tylenol Cold and switched to MucinexDM as a result.

Fast forward to the beginning of the third week in June, and I finished up all of my medicine and feel pretty good as far as congestion and flu-like symptoms go.  However, my throat begins to bother me.

So I purchased an oral anesthetic spray.  This gave me some relief and for two days or so it felt like I was getting better.  Then, something happened...

White patches began to grow and multiply across my tonsils to the point where it hurts to swallow.  I purchased oral cough drops to give me some relief while I'm at work.  Still, I worsened.

Fast forward to yesterday, and I visited the ER.  (I'm a dependent and out-of-state so I only have emergency coverage.)  Since, I didn't have an emergency per se, they did not take a throat culture and felt I had tonsilitis.  However for the benefit of the doubt, they prescribed me erythromycin which is an anti-biotic and should handle strepp-throat or other bacterial infections.

New evidence has arisen today however...

I noticed that my elbows were somewhat sore yesterday, but I thought nothing of it.  Upon waking up today however, I noticed my elbows have a rash on them.  The bumps of the rash are akin to pock marks.

And I should let you know that I've had chicken pox 3 times, an unknown rash once, and sea lice more times than I wish to count.

So there you go, diagnose me! Slipgate - Laugh  I'm going to a walk-in medical center tomorrow on my day off anyhow.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2007-07-30, 04:15 »

Doom - Exclamation Doom - Exclamation Doom - Exclamation  Um... you have the symptoms of a MAJOR strep throat infection, and the rash means it's going systemic.  You need to get to a hospital and get that treated ASAP.

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/factsheets/strep.htm

Not to alarm you, but if you don't get it treated and it worsens significantly you could actually die from it.  Please, get it treated right away and if they blow you off at the ER or act stupid lean on them.  Tell them "You don't treat me you better tell me who my family sues when I die."  I'm not kidding, tell them exactly that if you have to, and do not let up until you get results.  Strep that looks like it's turning into Scarlet Fever is not something to screw around with and I've had friends blown off by hospital ER's in life or death situations before.
« Last Edit: 2007-07-30, 04:18 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #2 on: 2007-07-30, 09:39 »

Damn man, I hope you get better soon.

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2007-07-30, 12:00 »

Not to alarm you, but if you don't get it treated and it worsens significantly you could actually die from it.  Please, get it treated right away and if they blow you off at the ER or act stupid lean on them.

The medicine the doctor at the ER prescribed for me covers bacterial infections of the throat, including streptococcal.  My throat worsened today, but the medicine does appear to be giving me some relief.  I'll have a better idea in the next day or so.

I'm still a bit concerned about the rash on my elbows, but it hasn't itched much nor does it seem to have spread.  I think I might have jumped the gun when I said "pock marks."  I was going off of memory, and what I have does not resemble the pock marks of the chicken pox sufferers I looked up online.  If the rash spreads and begins to itch I'll likely go to a walk-in clinic.

I should have also mentioned that my cervical lymph nodes are not painful to the touch.  They are somewhat swollen but otherwise not bothersome.

Whatever it is, I hope my body finally kills soon.  I'd take strep throat over a cluster headache any day, but not being able to eat solid foods is slowly driving me insane. :p

Thanks again for all of your concern and advice Phoenix.  You too Lopson. Slipgate - Smile

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: