2024-04-19, 14:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Man sues God - and God responds?  (Read 7936 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2007-09-21, 14:51 »

I thought I was reading a satire site when this was first sent to me, but apparently it's no joke.  It's a report off the Associated Press.  Just read it for yourself.  I'm not sure what to think of this.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/20/suing.god.ap/index.html?section=cnn_latest

Here's links to various other news publications that site the AP article as well:

http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news?p=chambers+lawsuit

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #1 on: 2007-09-21, 15:26 »

I got a feeling this is just another example of some sporknut speaking for god.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2007-09-21, 15:57 »

I am very much skeptical of the legitimacy of this myself, but such a sporknut is taking a serious risk of ending up in prison for filing false legal documents if that's the case.

Kajet

Vadrigar

« Reply #3 on: 2007-09-21, 16:26 »

Oh yeah, legitimate or not someone's going to jail, I highly doubt that a judge will actually say there is a god without worrying about their job...

Also I wouldn't mind see what someone believes to be the handwriting of a deity, granted it could be nothing special but possibly interesting nonetheless
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #4 on: 2007-09-22, 00:57 »

I think that the larger point of interest here is that the filing cannot necessarily be proven to be false without the court in fact deciding that God does not exist. Otherwise this man can hold that he was entirely serious in the suit and still seeks an injunction against the Almighty. Regardless of one's beliefs however, I seriously hope that most people can see this to be an obvious fake. I imagine that if God does exist that he has much better things to do than send legal notices to smart asses.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2007-09-22, 02:13 »

Well the other side of the coin is that if the court accepts the documents as genuine (whether they are or not) it is, in essence, recognizing the person of God as a defendant.  The court would be acknowledging the existence of God and also recognizing that God is addressable as a person.  I think that could have some ramifications for the legal system.

Now as to whether God would bother with sending legal notices... who knows.  Ever see the movie with George Burns?

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #6 on: 2007-09-22, 02:35 »

I was thinking more along the lines of the movie with Billy Connolly - insurance company doesn't pay out because of an "act of God", what's the next logical step? Slipgate - Wink

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Kajet

Vadrigar

« Reply #7 on: 2007-09-22, 03:55 »

Oh god... ew... just imagine if the court decides god is addressable as a person, could people start suing cause they were born into poverty? or cause some redneck got knocked up? And I'm not even going to bring up "holy wars" or natural disasters.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #8 on: 2007-09-22, 09:36 »

"Holy Wars" is an awesome Megadeth music.

Kajet

Vadrigar

« Reply #9 on: 2007-09-22, 11:12 »

O rly? I did not know...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2007-09-22, 14:30 »

I just wonder, if the suit isn't just thrown out, and should it be decided in favor of the plaintiff, how exactly he intends to collect damages from the Almighty?  I can see it already:

Judge:  God, you must pay the plaintiff $1.2 Million
God:  Look, I've already offered the guy eternal life free of charge, the value of which exceeds any possible monetary reimbursement.  Take it or leave it.

Kajet

Vadrigar

« Reply #11 on: 2007-09-22, 14:33 »

Unless he plans on having churches foot the bill, but that'd be awfully bastardly of him.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2007-09-22, 19:06 »

Well there's an update on this.  Apparently it's a mix of things:

http://www.christianpost.com/article/200...Attorney_Defends_God_Against_Lawsuit.htm

According to the latest update on a case that is serious yet comic, attorney Eric Perkins in Corpus Christi, Texas, said Friday that he filed one of two responses to a lawsuit from Nebraska State Sen. Ernie Chambers (D-Omaha), who has accused God of making ?terroristic threats? against him and his constituents, inspired fear and caused "widespread death, destruction and terrorization of millions upon millions of the Earth's inhabitants."

Perkins, who said he is a Christian, faxed one of at least two responses to Chambers' lawsuit.

The other, which remains a mystery, had appeared at the Douglas County Courthouse in Omaha, a local CBS affiliate reported Wednesday.

"It was on the counter in legal filing yesterday,? Gordon Rieber in the Clerk of the District Court's office told Omaha?s Action 3 News. ?No one saw it come in. She (an employee) turned her back and there it was."

Rather interesting that second part.  If you read the article what follows it is a bit more amusing as well.
« Last Edit: 2007-09-23, 14:49 by Phoenix » Logged

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #13 on: 2007-09-23, 09:36 »

They have to keep the MASSES entertained.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: