2024-03-29, 14:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Watching the High Quality Video  (Read 5406 times)
bengreenwood

Ogre

« on: 2008-01-27, 17:34 »

Guys, I tried downloading the high quality video trailer, and it downloaded alright, but when I open it in Media Player all I get is the sound, and I can't figure out how to get the codec for it, if that's what I'm missing. Actually if I check the file's properties it's telling me it's MPEG layer 3. Isn't that just audio? Maybe the file has been incorrectly named in terms of it's file extension. If so what should I rename it to to get it work?

BTW I've just got to say this mod is looking amazing! I remember playing Generations for Quake 2 ages ago, I actually talked to a few people involved with a couple of times on ICQ back in like, 2000 (when ICQ didn't have all the useless crap in it- so yeah a LONG time ago!). I saw a trailer on youtube about this latest version of Generations and it looks bloody fantastic. The gore looks brilliant. So does everything else! This really looks like it's going to be the best deathmatch game around- free or commercial.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2008-01-27, 17:50 »

Glad to hear that you like it Slipgate - Smile
Cant help you regarding the videos, but Tabun should be able to since he made the clips.
Thought installing codecs like xvid and divx usually solves the problem.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2008-01-27, 18:10 »

You'll need the Xvid codec to run the vid. Pretty much any (not too old) version will do.
You can get it here among many other places.

Also, if you run into vids that you can't seem to play, you might try opening them in Gspot:
Gspot site
With that, you can figure out what audio/video codec you need to run something, or if and how a vid is corrupted.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #3 on: 2008-01-27, 18:27 »

and Welcome!  Glad to see a new fan join our ranks.  But it sounds like your already familar with Generations from the Q2 days  Doom - Thumbs Up!

-JL
bengreenwood

Ogre

« Reply #4 on: 2008-01-27, 19:47 »

Wow, that video looks awesome. I'm usually a complete perfectionist about everything, which tends to annoy most people I make stuff with (including myself) but watching that, all I could think was: "This is awesome.". I like the way stuff dies, that's so cool. There's a bloody class bit in that video where someone gets gibbed and it's kind of reminiscent of the old Quake 1 style of gibbing which rocks. Also I like the way characters die in general, it just looks awesome.

Actually I was thinking that since you guys had to make changes relating to copyright issues that might affect how the game feels since the old Quake 2 version of Generations but it still seems as good as ever.

And those new Quake/ Quake 2 weapon models are bloody fantastic! You really seem to have nailed the chunky feel of them, while increasing the detail. And the maps seem really cool, too. Have they been designed to be exactly the same as the old ones or a little bigger? They seem a little bigger but it actually just makes them cooler.

I just have a few suggestions:

1. In the Q2DM2 map there's some water near the rocket launcher, it seems like it would be better being a bit more blue. Hardly a major complaint that one!

2. The Playstation version of Doom has improved quality sound effects for the weapons. I normally keep stuff as authentic as possible but these new sound effects sound really mean, and are higher quality audio than the original PC ones. You can listen to a few of them in this video clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8I6QOzFUYE

or download them in this wad:

http://www.doom2.net/~doomdepot/wads/consoledoom.zip

Maybe you guys could ask Midway if you could have those PSX Doom sound effects as an option in Generations or something? For a credit/ advert for one of their new games, they'd probably let you, considering how popular your mod will soon be.

Anyway thanks for making this awesome mod guys.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2008-01-27, 19:53 »

No problem. ;]

Keep in mind that this is a beta teaser. There's still a lot of things that need to be tweaked or altered. Sounds are still something to work on, for instance, and there will be class-specific gibs/gibbing at some point. This video mostly shows off what we've been doing with weapon animations, as they are the major change since our last public beta got released.. :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: