2024-04-27, 18:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Favorite Id Monsters  (Read 8248 times)
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #20 on: 2008-04-11, 10:11 »

Tarbaby
I could never get the hang of killing them, even now....

Hi all. been a long time no see.

(only work part-time now, and make guitars and do gigs the rest of the time.)

Wirehead was the first place i ever joined on the internet! seems so long ago now.
myspace.com/helenandrichard

Stay well Slipgate - Thumbs up!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #21 on: 2008-04-11, 15:36 »

Hey there, Shambler, long time no squawk!  Aye, those blobs are a pain.  I've found that if you can rocket or get a grenade near them before they start bouncing they're pretty easy, but once they start hopping around look out!  Best thing I've figured out is run and jump towards one as it bounces so it goes past you, wheel around and shoot a rocket at the floor before it comes back.  The blast will hopefully do it in.  Otherwise, keep to the high ground and bounce grenades into them!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #22 on: 2008-04-11, 19:39 »

Being the big Q1 fan that I am.. it's only natural that I pick Doom2. Best enemies in a game by far.. Arachnatron taught me how to circle strafe, and Mancubus was just cool. Other favorites are the annoying Arch Vile and the awesome Chaingunner zombie (for obvious reasons).

Being a Q1 fan, it's also natural that I pick Wolf3d as a close second. Nazis are always fun to blow away.. Hans Grosse is just badass, wishing everyone a good day before turning them into swiss cheese. Hitler is just the icing on the cake.

Quake comes in 3rd.. the Fiend royally scared the bigeezus out of me when it first leaped across the room and smacked right into my face. Vores with the overly annoying purple spiked balls of doom, Shambler with the insta-hit lightning, and the lowly Zombie with the awesome description in the manual.. the Enforcer was a personal favorite tho, and is now forever immortalized in Gen thanks to Tab's awesome model and skin work. Slipgate - Smile

Doom is 4th. Nice demonic enemies that fit the atmosphere of the game, but I feel they're not up to snuff when compared to the top 3. Spectres in dark rooms are hella fun tho.

Quake 2 comes in last. I'm not a fan of the bio-mechanical theme the Strogg have going.. but there are two notable exception. The Tank/Tank Commander are badass.. slow moving, heavily armed and armored machines of death. The unsuited Makron is also neat.. mostly because he reminds me somewhat of Shockwave from the Transformers. Makron has the railgun head, giving him a dull and lifeless feel.. much like Shockwave's single yellow 'eye'. The rest of the lineup is pretty lame and boring.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #23 on: 2008-04-11, 23:32 »

I love the Quake 2 enemies.  To me they have personality and the more military weapons are interesting to go up against, plus the Q2 environment has always been interesting to me.  A lot of Doom's enemies were all fireball throwers, and Quake had some shooters but a lot of melee monsters.  The most common shooters on the non-base levels were the ogres, and they seemed a bit overused at times.  Vores are just a pain.  Hate Vores!  Q2 tank and commander are pretty nifty, and remain my favorite Q2 enemies.

As for the Makron... I tweaked Q2 a while back so that monsters could inflict more severe damage with their weapons, up to player-level damage at maximum.  The Makron is actually tough on this setting because he shoots the BFG quite often, and a hit from the railgun is 150 points.  All the Strogg become very dangerous at this setting, but the Makron and Gladiators especially are the nastiest to get hit by, with any flying monsters coming in close behind them.  20-point blaster bolts from fliers are painful!

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #24 on: 2008-04-12, 12:36 »

My only issue with Makron was that by the time you got to him you always had a couple of Quads and Invuls in the bag, meaning that the fight lasted about 20 seconds, tops. D'oh!

The Ground Zero boss was much tougher, but I'm not sure that he counts Slipgate - Tongue

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #25 on: 2008-04-12, 14:29 »

The CD version of Q2 that I have, forget the release number, you had the ability to hoard multiple quads and invulns, etc.  That did make the Makron a pushover.  A later patch limited you to carrying one of any item, but still, with an invuln and quad handy, Makron did go down.  I like taking him on without the powerups, is more challenging, especially with the player-equivalent damage from his weapons.

The Ground Zero boss was actually a she, the Black Widow, and she had the nasty ability to match any powerup you used.  Ground Zero's enemy AI was flat out nasty compared to normal Q2.

Nonanonymous

Dopefish

« Reply #26 on: 2008-04-17, 03:10 »

I'd have to say DooM 2.  Above all, those biomech-demons have had more of an affect on my concepts and artwork than any other creature barring Cthulhu.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #27 on: 2008-04-17, 06:54 »

Well DooM and quake 1 all the way Slipgate - Smile doom 1 and 2 the best fun there was to actually play coop 2 persons..actually i really liked the N64 version of doom..it was dark and scary hehe but as a downside no multiplayer support which sucked bad.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: