2024-04-16, 23:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Next Time You Hear About Waterboarding...  (Read 5912 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2008-02-16, 05:59 »

I've been pretty quiet about this, but I am about fed up with all this complaining by Congress and in the news about water boarding and calls that it's torture, cries to close Guantanamo Bay over human rights complaints, that military tribunals for terrorists are some kind of rights violation (per the ACLU) etc.  First, water boarding is not torture by definition.  US military personnel are subjected to water boarding as part of their training.  If it's torture, then the US military has been torturing its own troops for years before this became a press debacle.  Second, all members of the US military are subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice.  Any violation of law by a US service member means they are tried by military tribunal.  Why in God's name someone thinks terrorists who don't fly any flag or wear a uniform and do not abide by the Geneva convention deserve civilian trials and representation is beyond me.  If it's good enough for the US military it's already too good for the terrorists.

I'm ranting, but I'm about fed up with listening to Congress and the ACLU and the press moan and whine about how brutal murderers are treated or interrogated.  Think water boarding is torture?  How about pulling out teeth and fingernails with pliers, cutting off fingers with hack saws, or taking a blow torch to someone's genitals or running high voltage electric current through their bodies?  How about Khalid Sheikh Mohammad, who was waterboarded and the information from his interrogation stopped over 10 planned attacks, some on US soil, including one in LA?  This is the bastard who planned the 9/11 hijackings.  He also personally cut Nick Berg's head off in front of a camera, and yet organizations like the ACLU want to defend these people?

If anyone wants to squawk about American justice in regards to how it treats terrorists, here's the other side's version of it.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,330810,00.html

Something to keep in mind the next time you hear about the United States "torturing" anyone with a damp rag.
  Sipgate - Evil

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #1 on: 2008-02-16, 07:33 »

From what I've read about it (waterboarding, not the full plot involving the government), which is very little, waterboarding IS torture. Making someone think they're going to drown, especially in a controlled environment, is.. torture. It's similar to the electric shock, tho electric shock is a bit more unpredictable.. even tho it's controlled. That being said.. I'd rather the electric shock than the waterboarding due to a high fear of drowning. I know you don't have to be submerged to drown, so drowning is drowning. One of my biggest fears, it is. I have a hard enough time putting my own face under the shower stream, let alone someone doing it for me.

As for the US military doing it to their own troops. That's probably a watered down process for the receiver of the torture (pun highly intended). Why would they think their superiors are going to kill them? I'm not saying it's any more right.. but it would be slightly easier on the mind. A member of the US military waterboarding a member of the US military would be a different experience than a member of Al-Qaeda waterboarding that same member of the US military. I know saying they'd use waterboarding sounds foolish, but it's just for example.

Anyway, I feel it's torture. Probably the lowest of the methods available.. but torture is torture.

But.. onto the whole. I'm one of those who are against the 'eye for an eye' philosophy. That being said, I don't know a proper solution. They are evil men, and probably deserve any of the worst people want to see them get.. but, I can't advocate it.. and I also can't argue against it.
« Last Edit: 2008-02-16, 07:52 by Thomas Mink » Logged

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2008-02-16, 12:59 »

I'm not going to respond in detail, but I do wish to note that it always makes me jumpy to see people/creatures so eager to subject their fellow people/creatures to horrendous things. I know enough about waterboarding to call it torture, just like I would extensive sleep deprivation. I don't care about the name so much as the practice, however. And I've pretty much categorised that kind of treatment as barbarian or middle ages material, just like the insanely zealous jihad that it is to be a tool against. I agree with Mink.

On waterboarding:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...id-it-myself-says-us-advisor-398490.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterboarding (just reading the first paragraph alone should help)

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2008-02-16, 19:08 »

And reading the rest of the wikipedia entry muddies the water a bit, does it not?  That's why it's controversial.  I'm drawing comparisons and reminding people what real torture involves to keep things in perspective.  I can understand the fear of drowning, TM.  It's one of the most natural fears for an air breathing creature.  If fear itself is going to be considered torture, then what can be done?  Without fear - fear of penalty, fear of consequence, fear of death.  The entire concept of consequence of action relies on fear.  There can be no deterrence.  Think about this.  Fear of drowning keeps you from straying into hazardous waters, does it not?  Fear of falling keeps people from jumping off cliffsides or climbing to unsafe heights normally, no?  You cannot classify something as torture simply because one person has a stronger response to a condition than another.  For that person it will be terrifying, yes, but not to everyone.  Some people are terrified of even going out their front door.  Life then should be classified as torture, should it not?  I do not say any of this to belittle your reaction to water.  I do understand what you mean.  Just consider who it is you would be having sympathy for in this case.  It's not your next door neighbor we're talking about, it's the person who would gut them with a dull knife "just because".

I am not one to advocate that the ends should justify the means, but I'm a realist.  When you have a tougher nut, you get a bigger nutcracker.  If making someone like KSM think for a few minutes that he's drowning makes him sing like a canary, it's certainly a lot more humane than what he did to Nick Berg, and if the intelligence leads to destroying Al Qaida, then there's some value to the process.  I know that's drawing comparisons.  That's the whole point.  These people do not play by the rules, but it seems everyone wants to make sure they're treated as if they were naturalized citizens being beat up on by a tyrannical government, not captured terrorist masterminds who have no interest beyond murdering as many non-likeminded individuals as they can.  That is where my primary complaint is.  I think there's too much sympathy for the devil by the ACLU and certain members of congress.  I read reports from Al Qaida's own people that they're losing, in disarray, and at the same time I'm hearing Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid saying the war is lost!

Remember, I am a warrior myself.  I fight battles, I know the cost of failure when you DO go to war, for whatever reason.  I am quite hot about all this precisely because at the edge of defeating these bastards people are crawling over themselves to protect them.  That's what has me peeved more than anything else.  If you want to stop barbarism, kill the barbarians, and make them understand their behavior will not be tolerated.  They don't understand anything else right now.  Maybe after they learn that lesson they'll be ready for the next, but you have to start with the basics.  Stop them first, then start the dialogue.  It cannot work the other way around.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #4 on: 2008-02-16, 21:56 »

I didn't say the fear itself was torture. I used my fear of drowning as a way to pick my preferred method of torture. One of them you listed as being worse, I picked as being more acceptable (to me, being done to me). The process goes beyond simple fear anyway.

As for having sympathy for terrorists.. I pretty much already stated my stance. If they get tortured, beaten, and maimed.. I'm not going to cry out in disbelief and anger that one would do such a thing to them. I won't say it was right, but I won't say it was wrong either.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #5 on: 2008-02-17, 02:06 »

That's something I don't understand murderers, rapists, and terrorists get all kinds of mercy despite what they've done/planned to do...

We need to bring back midevil forms of imprisonment, What the hell was wrong with chaining a douche to a wall with no one around save the keeper who brought him his meals of bread and water?

Sure it might not be ideal BUT since when the spork was prison supposed to be a nice place?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2008-02-17, 02:39 »

Tm:  I understand you there, and I did not mean to imply any of my ranting was directed at you personally.  It's the government and the ACLU and the media that I'm hot toward because it's the government's JOB to protect its citizens, not protect the enemy but that's exactly what they seem to be doing, or at least certain members of Congress specifically.  The ACLU... I don't want to get started on that one.  And the press... well if they'd stop trying to run the country and just report what happens maybe they'd be useful for something.  Grrrrrr!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: