2024-04-19, 06:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Smash Brothers Brawl  (Read 10836 times)
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« on: 2008-03-18, 23:43 »

It had to be brought up eventually.

This doesn't contain any spoilers.  It merely talks about the game structure.  I won't reveal any of the secret characters or levels, bosses, items, etc., although this sort of information is already available online if you really wanna know.

Anyways...

I love it!  Although I must fully admit it doesn't take advantage of motion control very much, a trait the Wii is known for.  In fact, I'd label Brawl as a souped up Gamecube game using the Wii's system specs to beef up the content.  Graphically it looks like its predecesor, with some minor but noticable improvements.

Gameplay is solid as a rock.  If you have masted the Gamecube controls, rest easy.  They are faithfully reproduced when you use a Gamecube controller.  I've attempted to use the Classic controller and while I'm not used to it yet, I definitly see its potential.  I'd recommend staying away from the Wiimote-Nunchuck combo, or the Wiimote solo.

The infamous Subspace adventure mode leaves much to be desired, but is still generally fun to play.  Running through co-op mode is frustrating when you are Player 2, as the camera focuses on every movement Player 1 performs.  This means that if Player 1 runs ahead of Player 2, Player 2 can/will take damage and potentally be KOed for drifting too far.  Other than that, it is a very fun Platform/Beat 'Em Up style game that is challenging and rewarding (three secret characters are unlockable only through this game mode).

Aside from that, it is an insanely addictive and very VERY fun experience.  35 well balanced characters (something I cannot say about Melee), 41 levels of Nintendo Nostalgic Joy, and perhaps the single most greatest soundtrack ever produced for a Nintendo game.

Oh, and Smashing online is quite nice too, although its sometimes difficult to find a game.  The Matchmaker system works best when trying to join a Team game as opposed to a Free for All.  I guess more people prefer team battles.

Thoughts?

-JL
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2008-03-19, 08:27 »

It's me Mario? naw i love the melee series mostly cuz i can beat the shit out of mario n luigi god those dudes bothers me! Slipgate - Tongue
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #2 on: 2008-03-19, 19:27 »

I like the Smash Bros. series as well (mostly because I had a similar idea for a game back in the SNES days.. even sent them my idea). I haven't played Brawl tho, and I'll only get to when I go somewhere with a Wii. I've played the first two games tho.. and of those two, I actually like the N64 game better. The AI in Melee is horrible, which makes playing the game alone pretty boring.. I mean, it does attacks fine.. but the only items it cares to use are health items and pokeballs.

I also like the sound effects in the N64 game better as well.. they were more beefy and fit the game extremely well. When I first played Melee, I was disappointed when I didn't hear the loud pops and crunches and such.. instead getting soft fwaps and slaps. Graphics in Melee were nice, but I think something more along the lines of TF2's style of coloring and shading would fit better.. oddly, I found the blocky characters and flat colors of the N64 Smash to fit better there as well.

So yea.. I liked the N64 Smash better than Melee, and I've only read about Brawl.. which looked like an updated version of Melee really. They should've made Little Mac a full character tho instead of part of an item.. then I'd consider buying a Wii......... since that would probably be the closest I'd get to getting a(nother) Punch Out! sequel.

But yea.. the games are fun. Smacking the snot of Pokemon is always a good thing. I f***in' HATE Pokemon! Luigi and Mr. Game & Watch own. Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2008-03-19, 19:31 by Thomas Mink » Logged

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #3 on: 2008-03-25, 21:40 »

I agree that Little Mac should have been a full on character.  I have a feeling that a lot of the Assist Trophies may be lucky enough to become full characters by the next installment....why do I have this feeling, I dunno.

But to address some of your statements, the AI has been drastically improved.  Level 9 computers play like Tournament players.  Also, I'd say the sound effects on Brawl are better than any of the sounds found in Melee or the N64 original.  Indeed, the graphics are little more than a slight upgrade from Melee, but I'm ok with that.

I understand your love for the N64 version.  Its an instant classic for sure, and I still fire it up today quite a bit (a little less often now that I'm emmersed in Brawl, but still)

-JL
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2008-03-26, 00:11 »

While Brawl is definitely better than Melee in every way, it still leaves a little to be desired on the online side of things.

There is no online co-op for Adventure mode.

There is no way to download custom maps unless a person on your friend's list sends you one.  (The Smash service will send you one each day but it replaces the previous day's level and you can't save a copy of it.)

You can't play custom maps online.  (Seriously, what's the point of being able to send them to other people then?)

You can't unlock trophies online (At least that has been my experience with the co-op home run contest.)

It has a separate friend codes system on top of the Wii's friend codes system.  (Why Nintendo, why?  Metroid Prime 3 just used the Wii's friend codes system for its online functionality.)

The way Super Smash Bros Brawl works with the WiiConnect24 service is actually detrimental to the game experience.  All those custom maps, screenshots, and replays get downloaded while you're in the middle of the match which causes everyone in the game to lag horribly.

Oh yeah and there's no voice chat.  My friend and I turned on our Xbox 360's so we could chat with each other.

Edit: One last thing... 3480-2257-4995, please add me to your friends roster.
« Last Edit: 2008-03-26, 00:36 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #5 on: 2008-03-26, 23:09 »

Kain, you have been added to my roster Doom - Thumbs Up!

Here is mine:
2835-9800-0738
I go by the name of (JWL)

Anyone else who has Brawl, please post your friend codes as well.  Feel free to add me, too  Doom - Love

EDIT: WHOO!  I've made 100 posts in these forums since my last comment in this thread  Doom - Thumbs Up! Slipgate - Thumbs up!  haha big deal I know, but still.
« Last Edit: 2008-03-26, 23:13 by Rubilacxe » Logged

-JL
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #6 on: 2008-03-27, 10:32 »

1246-8421-7778 Slipgate - Smile
Visimar

Archvile

« Reply #7 on: 2008-03-27, 16:42 »

It's been a while since I last popped in here, but I noticed this thread and can't resist posting in it. Slipgate - Wink

I recently got a Wii and a Brawl myself, but I still have the awful habit of deleting save data, so I'm not giving away my friend code just yet. Old habits die hard...I'll edit this with the code once I beat the SSE without actually giving into the urge.
« Last Edit: 2008-03-27, 16:57 by Visimar » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2008-03-27, 17:23 »

Visy!!  Long time no squawk.  Where you been?  We need to finish that Doom3 coop game sometime!  Doom - Exclamation

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #9 on: 2008-03-27, 18:59 »

If you have masted the Gamecube controls, rest easy.  They are faithfully reproduced when you use a Gamecube controller.

I would disagree here. I was disappointed to find that the shoulder triggers no longer take advantage of their analog functions and instead must be clicked fully like digital buttons. It's no big deal that they did away with the larger, weaker shield that the analog response created, but it should have simply been replaced with the regular shield 24/7 in that case. Furthermore, I find that the c-stick isn't as multi functional as it once was. I used it in Melee for quick, weak smash attacks as well as throwing objects. That only works now with objects that are made specifically to be thrown (like Pokeballs).

The Adventure Mode, while interesting, is not something I'll probably ever play through again. More than anything, it probably wasted a lot of time and resources that would have been better spent on the multiplayer aspects. I felt that there was a surprisingly low number of Assist Trophies, personally. Likewise, the Pokeballs don't seem as interesting this time around.

The character roster seems much better balances than it was in Melee however, and many of the levels comes off as far more interactive than they would have been before (though I think ALL of the levels from Melee should have been included). There are still some annoying clone characters, but only one really stands out as being needless...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All that said, I'm loving the game and expect to be playing it for years to come like I had with Melee. I do with those pesky CD items would hang around a little longer than three seconds though. I've missed out on a few because of it. Slipgate - Sad

Kain-Xavier: I'd agree that Nintendo still has a ways to go for a truly great online experience in general, but then again you do have to pay for Xbox Live. Certainly, the main problem is that games have individual friend codes as opposed to just using the single Wii console code. I wasn't even aware that Metroid Prime 3 had multiplayer, however. Clearly, voice chat would be nice to have with Friend Matches, though I don't think it's quite as required as people think.
« Last Edit: 2008-03-27, 19:09 by ~Va^^pyrA~ » Logged
Visimar

Archvile

« Reply #10 on: 2008-03-28, 01:26 »

I've been on all this time, Pho, but I don't visit here all that much anymore. Maybe when the servers start to breathe life... Slipgate - Wink

And yes, we do need to finish that game sometime. I forgot where we left off, to be precise.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2008-03-28, 01:29 »

I don't quite remember myself.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #12 on: 2008-03-28, 02:25 »

If I may send us further off topic... How exactly does one play co-op Doom 3 anyway? There seems to be a few mods, if nothing else. Does it work well?
Visimar

Archvile

« Reply #13 on: 2008-03-28, 02:36 »

Me and Pho use OpenCoop for playing Doom 3 together, but there's also Last Man Standing (which seems to be more popular, but it's a bit more laggy than OpenCoop in my experience). Basically, the gist of it (to my understanding) is that it modifies the single-players maps so they can be played on multiplayer, and the players work as a team going through the storyline.
Visimar

Archvile

« Reply #14 on: 2008-03-29, 01:30 »

Oh blah, I forgot that there was a certain time limit before I could edit a post.

Anyway, I haven't beaten the SSE yet, but since it's my birthday I'll give out my friend code. It's 2878-9558-7082. If any of you are going to be on tonight, you're free to give me some birthday spankings. Slipgate - Wink
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #15 on: 2008-03-29, 08:47 »

Those three characters that Rubilacxe says can only be unlocked through the Adventure Mode can also be unlocked by playing the hell out of the game. A local Japanese import store received a copy a couple of days after the Japanese release, and within a week, all of the characters and all but one of the stages had been unlocked -- and the Adventure Mode hadn't been completed beyond the third stage.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also: 1676-3342-4968

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #16 on: 2008-03-29, 10:01 »

I have added everyone to my list so far. Slipgate - Smile

And while I'm at it, here's one last gripe about the online service...

I have to be connected to Nintendo WFC in order to enter a friend code but I can be offline when that person actually gets added to my friends roster.

Slipgate - Off Topic
I wasn't even aware that Metroid Prime 3 had multiplayer, however.
It doesn't, I should have been clearer.  What it has is a way you can send tokens to people in your Wii's address book who also own the game.  Once these tokens have changed hands, they can be used to unlock extra content such as a Mii bobble-head for Samus's ship or a screenshot option.

Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #17 on: 2008-03-29, 21:14 »

All who have posted their #'s have been added to my roster  Doom - Thumbs Up!

-JL
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #18 on: 2008-03-31, 04:19 »

and I must say I've learned quite a bit from this thread.

I never noticed the little differences between the Gamecube controls on Brawl and Gamecube Melee.  I like how the C stick no longer throws, and I've always pressed the R/L buttons all the way to dodge.  Never really knew you didn't have to actually (for Melee)!

After some research on the Web, it is indeed true that there are several ways to unlock ALL the characters.  Or pretty much 3 ways for each:

-Play Brawl mode a certain # of times.
-Add the character to your roster in Adventure
-Some sort of special unlocking method unique to the character (like beating Classic in 12 minutes or clearing the 100-man Brawl)

-JL
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #19 on: 2008-03-31, 18:39 »

I never noticed the little differences between the Gamecube controls on Brawl and Gamecube Melee.  I like how the C stick no longer throws, and I've always pressed the R/L buttons all the way to dodge.  Never really knew you didn't have to actually (for Melee)!

Actually, if you just barely pressed the shielding button in Melee it would create a larger but slightly weaker shield. You had to be quick about it however, since you could also preform the regular shielding without pressing all the way down to the click. I don't mind the lack of that function so much, but I'm sure there might be some that do as it did add some depth. Those little differences came as quite a shock since I thought the Wavebird would preform exactly the same (why else have it as an option, right?). Still, I've gotten used to it.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: