2024-03-29, 16:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome... To the new reich.  (Read 8752 times)
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« on: 2008-08-02, 01:45 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey8g56I7yM8

Well... at least it isn't yet another realism/authenticity centered WW2 game...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2008-08-02, 03:35 »

Looks pretty groovy.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #2 on: 2008-08-03, 19:04 »

I'm looking fowards to its multiplayer. Hopefully, we'll have another Enemy Territory in our hands! BTW, does anyone know if this game will already use the Tech 5 engine?

Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #3 on: 2008-08-16, 00:11 »

<fanboyranting>Sequel to RTCW?  I finally got my hands on playing RTCW and I wasn't too impressed (it could be because of how dated it is, I dunno).  I'm not sure I'll be giving this a look either.  They remade Doom, why not remake the original Wolfenstein 3D?  Or better yet, make the true sequel to Quake 1!</fanboyranting>

-JL
Kajet

Vadrigar

« Reply #4 on: 2008-08-16, 08:06 »

<fanboyranting>Sequel to RTCW?  I finally got my hands on playing RTCW and I wasn't too impressed (it could be because of how dated it is, I dunno).  I'm not sure I'll be giving this a look either.  They remade Doom, why not remake the original Wolfenstein 3D?  Or better yet, make the true sequel to Quake 1!</fanboyranting>

Well... the problem with remaking Wolfenstein 3D is that given how primitive it is you can't say if they were going for a more realistic or fictional (shut up you know what I mean) game, while zombies and multiple guns that use the exact same ammo can be credited to the (then) limitations the programmers had and killing monotony in the enemies.

And yes, I would like to see an uber 3D out the ass shambler, but for god's sake give me more weapons!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2008-08-16, 15:17 »

That's something I've scratched my head over is why the Doom 3 tech was not applied to a Quake 1 sequel.  I've said before that Quake 1 was originally dark and gloomy, and done in Doom 3 tech it would have been perfect because darkness and shadows was already part of Quake's game design.  It certainly would have made for a better game than Quake IV if done right, and this is coming from someone who didn't really care much for Quake 1.

That being said, what weapons besides the normal Q1 weapons would you want Skippy to have?  There's the mission pack weapons as an option of course.  For those who have not played the mission packs, here they are:

Scourge of Armagon weapons:

Prox Launcher - The original prox gun, which all others were based on (q2 Ground Zero, Team Arena, etc)  Uses rocket ammo.

Laser Cannon - 3-barreled prototype to the Hyperblaster.  Lasers also reflected off walls.  Uses Cells.

Mjolner - Thor's hammer.  Uses 30 cells and spits lightning all over.  Can still bludgeon things if out of ammo.  Not to be used in water.

Dissolution of Eternity weapons:

Lava Nails - Not really a "weapon", but special ammo for the nailgun and supernailgun.  Does more damage and gives the spike shooters a larger ammo pool between the two types of nails.

Multi-rockets/grenades - Like the lava nails, adds a new ammo type to the grenade and rocket launcher.  Multi-grenades bounce out like a normal grenade, then explode into a few smaller grenades which blow up shortly after.  When fired from the rocket launcher, 5 rockets spread out in about a 5 degree arc.

Plasma Gun - Not to be confused with Doom's automatic rifle, this is an alternate cell type for the Thunderbolt that shoots a single projectile.  When the projectile hits, it arcs lightning bolts toward anything nearby.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2008-08-17, 12:56 »

I really liked the riot shotgun and the chainsaw from Zerst?rer -- even though I thought them very un-Quake-like weapons.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #7 on: 2008-08-17, 15:16 »

I agree entirely Phoenix, a continuation of the first Quake would have made the most sense within the Doom 3 engine. As it stands, Prey was the only game that I really liked based on the engine. Maybe it's because it was one of the first games I ever played, but Quake 1 is still my overall favorite amongst Id's catalog. The cool, Lovecraftian story and atmosphere certainly didn't hurt though. I never really got into multiplayer until Quake 2 however, which might explain my selection in Generations. Heh.

I can't say I really liked any of the weapons from the Mission Packs though. I thought that the second Mission Pack felt awfully sloppy altogether, actually. Certainly the original weapons could use a slight redesign, if nothing else. Maybe we could get a chance to use the laser rifles that the Grunts and Enforcers had? I could also see a Vore Ball working pretty well...
« Last Edit: 2008-08-17, 15:20 by ~Va^^pyrA~ » Logged
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #8 on: 2008-08-17, 23:41 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6ManoMpITg

Who's that for Doom 3?! Slipgate - Smile
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #9 on: 2008-08-18, 01:37 »

Pretty cool.  Have you seen the Tenebrae engine for quake 1?  What you posted looks better, though.
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #10 on: 2008-08-18, 01:44 »

Yeah, when Tenebrae first came out it lagged pretty badly on my computer, so I never really got a chance to play it. It doesn't even seem to be around nowadays, so I use Dark Places.

I did just finish playing through that Shambler's Castle "mod" and it is very good. The physics definitely aren't the same, as is apparent when trying to sidestep Fiends. The monsters look friggin' awesome now, and the extra detail almost makes them look akin to something you'd expect to see coming from Clive Barker--especially the Vore. Overall however, the one level is rather short and a little too dark despite being beautifully detailed. I also thought that it felt a tad linear, and that the overall mood reminded me more of Painkiller than Quake... especially how certain areas opened and closed when you entered, forcing you to kill all of the monsters within. I'd definitely recommend giving it a quick run through though if you happen to have Doom 3 already installed.
Kajet

Vadrigar

« Reply #11 on: 2008-08-18, 03:19 »

I don't really think of mission pack, mostly cause I haven't played either of the Quake 1 ones, but it seems to me that there's really only 6 weapons, but I lump both shotguns and nailguns as pretty much the same weapon, the only difference I can see being ammo use/damage rates.
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #12 on: 2008-08-18, 05:43 »

Painkiller was good, but you're right.  No one really has gotten that quake feel.

As far as the weapons, the nailgun is useless to me, to be honest.  It's far too slow a projectile to be of any real use against human players.  The lava nails made that a bit better meaning that those few random shots you'd catch on someone would do more damage.  It's a spam gun with a lower rate of hits than the q3 plasma gun.  I would probably say the rate of hitting is proportional to two factors: distance and speed of projectiles.  With the nailgun, it requires a very close range for a high hit rate.  The plasma gun can be an effective weapon within the same range as the q3 lightning gun, but I don't think the same applies for the nailgun...

The lavagun and cluster nades are all I remember from the missionpacks.  I'd probably have to play the missionpacks again to even remember what the others ones were like.  I don't know what to say.  I could say Q1 needs more weapons due to the fact that at least a couple weapon spawns are nailguns (plasma, rail, any more?), but it also has one of the best armor systems and the most powerful rocket (I think).  It seems like after a firefight with that class I am always out of everything except nails, and then I might just /kill if I don't have something worthwhile (plenty of health and armor, flag, maybe a reason to stay alive protecting a flag carrier for as long as possible, decoy, etc).

So... I don't think the lava nailgun will make things better.  What is the projectile speed of the laser cannon?  This would cause a problem ammo-wise I would think -- if nailguns are littering maps, all of a sudden half of that ammo will be cells powering the thunderbolt.  I think it would benefit more to have its own ammo if it were added.

Ah, I just got a mental image of the Dissolution plasma gun, so I remember that one -- something like a mini-bfg but not green.

I think it's more up to the balanced mode.  For instance, in a traditional style, slippy will be at a disadvantage to all of the other classes when at a significant distance -- all the other classes can defend themselves or attack to varying degrees at that same distance.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2008-08-18, 17:05 »

Yeah, nails are hard to use, but I've taken a lot of people down with them.  Still, Slipgate has always been about rockets.  Rockets, rockets, and Thunderbolt.  Hop on a Quakeworld server, and that's how Slipgate should be played.

Reason you see a lot of nailguns is Plasmagun and Railgun both provide nailguns.  If you're used to running those item spawns as Arena, try running Rockets and Grenades instead.  We don't have the railgun give a rocket launcher for two reasons.  The first is that we did it in .99b, and it made rockets too plentiful - two common weapon spawns and three ammo sources was too much.  The second is it makes him navigate the items differently, since Rail is a hot item for Earth, Strogg, and Arena.  That adds some variation into the item routes for the classes.  Doom and Slipgate won't want the railgun as much, and will want the grenade launcher more.  Slipgate also gets a bonus if he kills another slipgater in the form of a backpack, so if you need a quick rocket supply take out another Slipgater and filch his loot.  Odds are you'll get at least a few bombs out of him.

I'm going to have to check out that Shambler's Castle sometime.  Looks pretty nifty.

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #14 on: 2008-08-19, 07:45 »

For a long range, then yes the nailguns are pretty much worthless but for closeup/mid range id say they are actually quite good the super nailgun behaves quite much as stroggs plasma rifle you need to lead your shots and figure out where your opponent is heading.
Not to talk about an quaded SNG it really hurts getting hit by that Slipgate - Smile
But i agree abit for class balance the speed on the projectiles should be upped abit, another reason is that quite many q3maps are more "open" than the quake 1 maps usually were.

But that's my thoughts Slipgate - Smile
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #15 on: 2008-09-10, 17:32 »

I've played Shambler's Castle through a couple of times (although I had to replace the dodgy music with some Nails Q1 goodness) and it's highly recommended. Apparently there's an expansion in the works which includes a couple of base levels too, but not much news on it so far.

I agree that we need a Q1 sequel. Id have reworked eveything else in their back catalogue, but Q1 seems to have been forgotten. FPS games are just too damn slow these days. We need something a bit more manic.

Vamp: You can still get Tenebrae off Sourceforge, although you'll need to hunt out the vis patches as well as without them the water goes a bit mental. They're relatively easy to get, though.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: