2024-04-19, 15:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: sobig.f worm (Please scan your systems)  (Read 7242 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2003-08-27, 07:22 »

Alright, we all know and hate these stupid email worms, and I expect to get copies mailed to my netzero address since I get loads of spam there, but I'm getting messages sent back to me at my planetquake addy.  I know my system is clean, and I know this virus forges headers.  If you've received emails (supposedly) from me please DO NOT contact me and complain about it.  I am not infected.  I WOULD however ask everyone who's received emails from me at my planetquake address to scan THEIR systems since obviously someone I've contacted in the past WAS dumb enough to catch the thing, which is why I'm getting viruses sent to ME on a daily basis.  Now I will inevitable have to put up with people saying "Hey man, you've got a virus" when they get an email with my addy in the send box, and I have to go through the trouble of advising anyone receiving email supposedly addressed by me to check it carefully to make sure some other idiot's computer didn't send them a virus instead.

There is no excuse for not running antivirus software and scanning your email when everyone knows this problem is rampant.  If you catch something like MSBLAST that's understandable since it gets in on its own, and MicroS!@# has so many patches you can't keep track anymore, but Sobig.f is !@#!@ easy to avoid.  The only reason this crap continues to be a problem on the net is stupidity and laziness.  Please, make everyone's life a little easier.  SCAN YOUR SYSTEMS!!

So, on that note, if you receive an email from me be careful while opening it.  It could have come from someone else I've contacted in the past who happened to catch this virus and still has my email address on file.  Don't complain to me if you catch the virus.  I am not infected.  I did not send it to you.  End of line.
« Last Edit: 2003-08-27, 07:23 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
LeeMon

Team Member
Shambler

« Reply #1 on: 2003-08-30, 00:26 »

To reinforce this, I'm under much the same setup... I installed the Microsoft fix for this worm exploit when it came out, and my virus software is regularly updated, yet I receive virus bounces from email addys and websites I've never seen before.

Get your system checked if you haven't already.  The stuff going around now does nothing but replicate, putting a burden on your system as well as the whole 'net.

This is a worm; it didn't necessarily come from an email attachment.  It knew of a back door that you wouldn't even see if you didn't install just one Critical Update.  There's no excuse for lack of preparation.  Please check your gear, for all of us.

For my Inbox.  ;^)
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #2 on: 2003-08-30, 14:20 »

I Also am in the same situation as phoenix, as I keep getting those damn email infected things....

However, I WAS infected, due to the fact that Since I was at quakecon, my GF was using my computer for a week, without my supervision.

Now Before you complain, YES i do have anti-virus software installed, but i have it's Default action set to Notify me before it does anything... MY GF probably just clicked 'cancel' or 'ignore' or whatever on the big VIRUS ALERT
window, and proceeded to run the virus....

So I'm sure some of this threat has come from me, and I apologise, I Found out she did this while i was at Quakecon, and disconnected my computer from the internet by remote (much to her dissaproval) I also cleaned my system the day i got back.

However, I can see that i started getting the 'returned mail' before my GF got me infected. Also, Someone else out there is still infected, as i still continue to get 'returned mail daily....

Please... go here:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...moval.tool.html

It is a DIRECT LINK to a FREE SYMANTEC SoBig.F Worm removal tool. It will scan your entire system, and clean out the worm everywhere... registry.. etc

Now noone has any excuse to continue being infected.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2003-08-31, 00:38 »

Well the good news is the fix tool shows I'm 100% clean.  Norton caught 11, that's ELEVEN more worms sent to me via email just today and got rid of them.  All of them are coming from "System administrator" or "Mailer Daemon failure notice".  I had about 9 additional messages with similar headers that were stripped of attachments by the remailer servers.  Although, my spam has decreased in direct proportion, so I'm wondering if the spammer remailers got nailed and are responsible for most of the messages going to my netzero address.  The ones to my planetquake addy are definitely from a USER somewhere who I've emailed at some point.

Dicion, that sucks.  At least you got it fixed, though.  That's more than I can say for the rest of the people on the net who are still propagating this thing.  *sigh* It looks like we'll be putting up with this one for a long time to come.  Fainting

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: