2024-04-18, 14:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Play TF2 Free for the Weekend, and on a MAC! 50% off to buy!  (Read 6689 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2010-06-11, 01:48 »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/440/#weekend

For those who have never played Team Fortress 2, here's your chance to try it absolutely free over the weekend.  If you were thinking about buying, now's a good time as well as it's 50% off the normal price.  If you're a Mac user, the wait is over.  Check it out!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #1 on: 2010-06-17, 23:42 »

I bought the orange box a while back, but steam consistently didn't work (unable to connect to vac).  Forwarded the ports, disabled the router firewall, put myself in DMZ, and nothing resolved it.  I'm on a new installation of xp now, so I might have to try again.  Still their support is apparently very lacking when it comes to these issues.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2010-06-18, 00:50 »

I haven't had any trouble with Steam at all.  I'm behind a router as well.  Hopefully it's an issue that's been resolved and you can get online again.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #3 on: 2010-07-08, 08:11 »

Aww man... I seriously need to check here more often. My younger brother has it and it look fun. I might just break down and get it anyway. Doom - Thumbs Up!

fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #4 on: 2010-07-10, 23:23 »

Never got resolved.  I did everything they suggested, and I even did my own research on the matter and discovered issues with the verizon issued modem/router and went so far as to bypass it and try a new router (one I bought partially for 1gbit filesharing, but also in the hopes it would resolve the steam issues).  No luck.  A simple google of "a connection to the steam vac servers could not be made" reveals how common this issue is with no concrete solution.  In cases where it's not the router, not the port forwarding, not anti-virus or hardware/software firewalls, there is no answer from steam. 

The conclusion I and many others have made is just that steam is buggy software.  Be thankful if it works for you.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2010-07-11, 03:45 »

Ouch.  That's awful luck.  Slipgate - Sad

fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #6 on: 2010-07-24, 01:22 »

I tracked down the issue to drivers and issues with the onboard nic.  I had recently switched from the old trusty 3com 905b-tx to the gbit onboard.  Made more sense once I got the 1gbit router, but since I've not been using steam very long, that's the only connection steam has ever been over.

Once I switched to the gbit router, and realized there were all sorts of issues (including connection cutting out and file transfers between my NAS and computer resulting in BSODs).  I was able to trace this to the marvell driver.  I bought a new intel nic and everything is working perfectly Slipgate - Smile
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2010-07-24, 02:11 »

Awesome!  You'll have to friend me once you're all set up.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #8 on: 2010-07-24, 17:11 »

Don't know what your name is (unless you are phoenix there as well).
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2010-07-25, 01:32 »

Here's me Steam profile:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Phoenix9000

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: