2024-04-19, 05:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Server Changes  (Read 8156 times)
fourier

Hans Grosse

« on: 2010-11-24, 05:14 »

The server will be moving in December.  Long story short, I buy a dedicated box through a third party, and he wanted to get a better machine with more bandwidth.  We'll call him the "Middle Man".  We certainly have never come anywhere near our bandwidth limits or maxing CPU or RAM (even though I run about 4-5 servers on it).

One of the server admins who has a server on the box didn't want to change anything last time we did a system change, and I ended up having to pay an extra $10 a month to keep the same IP range (which the server admin agreed to pay just to keep the IPs).  Clearly, our concerns are primarily ping and location.

When the MM (Middle Man) said he wanted to get a better system and increase to 1gb with unlimited he told us we wouldn't be able to keep the IPs.  I discussed this with the server admin and he had questions which needed answering: Can we be given advanced notice on what the new IPs will be so we can notify our players about the switch; Will the extra $10 we are paying be removed?

The MM said he would try to get the answers.  That was on the third of this month.  Now, today, the 23rd, he says, to paraphrase, that we'll be moving the servers in December to a new datacenter.  He never mentioned anything about that before (we thought they were just changing to different boxes in the same datacenter/provider).  He did say we would have the 2 weeks notice, and that the extra $10 being paid to keep the IPs would be removed.

Originally, they were going to put us in Dallas, but after the MM realized how irritated I was about the fact that a) we never agreed on any switch -- we just wanted more information to make the decision, and b) ping is infinitely more important than bandwidth or system specs, he gave us the option to go to Seattle, Dallas, or DC.  DC was our choice.

So, the server IP will be changing, and the server location will be changing.  Hopefully, you guys are less irritated about it than I am, since he basically forced this on us (or we could scramble to find another host in the same price range... unlikely).

After the server changes occur, take note of anything that doesn't seem normal.  It should be the same, but you never know.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2010-11-24, 09:09 »

Thanks for the heads up.  That's not a problem for us one bit, and I certainly understand how hosting issues can be a hassle.  As soon as the new IP is in effect just let me know and I'll update the servers page accordingly.  Slipgate - Thumbs up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #2 on: 2010-11-24, 16:11 »

Too bad my weekends are usually tied up. DC is reasonably close to here, so I'd actually have a decent ping. Slipgate - Laugh

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #3 on: 2010-12-07, 22:54 »

Update on this: The "MM" just notified me this morning that he's not doing the server move (so as instantly and surprisingly as he made me aware of it, he has called it off...).  I've sent him several emails since the 23rd and today was the first that I've heard back from him, so again I'm irritated with him.

Anyway, no server move this year.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2010-12-08, 09:36 »

Wow those dudes sounds abit odd..
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2010-12-08, 10:00 »

Yeah, sounds flippier than a flapjack.  If he changes his mind again you should charge him an aggravation fee...  Slipgate - Surprised

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #6 on: 2010-12-10, 16:52 »

Yeah, I definitely would leave in a heartbeat if I could find something near that price.  I wouldn't mind doing colocation hosting, but the problem is that every colocation host I've seen charges virtually the same price as what they charge if they lease you a box -- there's no discount if you are providing your own server (or there's no markup for using their entry level boxes).
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #7 on: 2010-12-18, 12:40 »

Well, two days ago he sent me an email saying he's moving his servers to the UK.  He said I could keep the current server (but at an increased price) or get a new one at the same host at a discounted price.  For now, I'm keeping the current server.  Even at the increased price, it's basically unbeatable.  He gave me his word that he won't increase the price or terminate the server or change anything for at least a year.  I still would much rather being somewhere else, but again for the price there's nothing else.

Ferrets will stay where it is.  I lost 2 IPs in this transaction (I think he's trying to cut costs for himself).  I'll move carrots (the q3au mod server) onto 108:27961 and use the current carrots IP for another server someone will be paying for.
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #8 on: 2010-12-21, 15:06 »

BTW, I just noticed the new restart script I made was not working as expected.  Doing a stop start without a pause resulted in the port still being in use, so the server was coming back up as the next available port it could find.  Adding a small pause before the start fixed this.  So the server was probably on a different port the past couple days (I made the change on Saturday morning).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: