2024-04-19, 21:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Q1 Under 1hr  (Read 5952 times)
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« on: 2010-12-29, 05:21 »

http://kotaku.com/5719923/see-100-of-quake-in-under-an-hour

I originally thought nothing of it when a friend linked me to it.. then I watched the first level (E1M1).
Mind = blown

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2010-12-29, 15:44 »

I've never been too much on speedruns because of the "not 100%" factor that looks a bit more impressive.  Those are some pretty sick jumps on E1M1.  I'll have to check the whole thing out sometime.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #2 on: 2010-12-29, 23:41 »

I've never been too much on speedruns because of the "not 100%" factor that looks a bit more impressive.  Those are some pretty sick jumps on E1M1.  I'll have to check the whole thing out sometime.

I like to see the whole game generally, but I have seen the speed runs about as frequently as I've watched full playthroughs (which is actually pretty infrequently Slipgate - Wink).  I'm not sure if you meant you weren't too interested in the video because you thought it wasn't 100%, or if you were just saying you generally have little interest in speedruns as a whole with this one being a pleasant surprise as a deviation from the standard.

The thing I like most about the speedruns for time (instead of completion) is the map summary view with all the monsters running around, jumping off things, and generally being pissed off that they didn't get to kill you, and that you showed little to no interest in them except as the occasional launch pad -- monsters have feelings too.
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #3 on: 2010-12-30, 00:32 »

The video is a 100% completion of Q1. Every secret is found.. albeit, some of them are to only get the 'You have found a secret' message.. and every monster is killed.. albeit, a couple (literally like 2 or 3 enemies) are killed using a lame trick after the map has already ended.. but, bugs are bugs.. and quite often exploited like this in speedruns.

It's insane how it's ran, but it heavily relies on quad usage in a lot of areas.. especially later on.

I believe Pho was saying he's generally not interested in speedruns because they often don't get 100%. I'm the same way, really.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2010-12-30, 08:49 »

I believe Pho was saying he's generally not interested in speedruns because they often don't get 100%. I'm the same way, really.

You are correct, sir.

ooppee1985

Unnamed Player

« Reply #5 on: 2010-12-30, 10:15 »

I admire the whole skill usage in speedruns, they are fun to watch just to see HOW they did it and what unique moves they did. In the "Scourge Done Slick" (Mission Pack 1 speedrun) there were some very nice moves done - one rocket jumping purposely INTO a floating mine at just the right angle to reach a very high platform.
However speedruns are possible by anyone if you study the maps enough. I've actually came close to matching many of "Quake Done Quick" times (off by a few seconds).

100% Speedruns I find to be the best as they are playing the FULL game - not skipping over everything. It's kinda like seeing the mountains. Can fly over them or hike in them. What gives you the better experience?
LunaG

Beta Tester
Baron of Hell

« Reply #6 on: 2010-12-30, 11:24 »

LoL... he actually stepped on the head of the first episode's boss to jump over the other side, I never knew we can actually do that...

Be a Headshot's weblog follower today~!

http://www.headshotsdnbhd.blogspot.com
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2010-12-30, 15:24 »

The only speedrun I've personally done was Shub's pit.  I can't find the demo file anymore though.  Slipgate - Sad

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #8 on: 2010-12-31, 00:11 »

That was pretty impressive for what it was. I especially liked how the player telefragged a few monsters as they were spawning in. Likewise, killing that Fiend with the closing gate (which forced it to retract and allow the player to escape) was pretty nifty.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: