2024-04-19, 09:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Brutal Doom  (Read 27353 times)
FistMarine

« Reply #20 on: 2012-04-20, 04:37 »

Skulltag is more like (G)ZDoom but combined (except that the ZDoom version they are using is 2.3.0 and actual one is 2.5.0).
ZDaemon is more like vanilla-style.
I think both are great but myself I prefer Skulltag. Slipgate - Thumbs up!
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #21 on: 2012-04-21, 07:33 »

Bummer... I've used doomsday for many years. But I'll try zdoom and see the differences. I'm a huge fan to pass it up.  Doom - Love

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #22 on: 2012-04-21, 19:23 »

Well i might try doomsday engine again just to see if they changed anything cept that i'll go for zdoom Slipgate - Smile
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #23 on: 2012-05-31, 06:51 »

It's like every first-person shooter I've ever liked had a beautiful, hyper-violent baby...

Thanks for making me aware of it, Gnam!

J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #24 on: 2012-05-31, 19:01 »

Brutal Doom reminds of WGRRealma II :Siege Breakers

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #25 on: 2012-06-04, 14:11 »

On memorial day my girlfriend and I decided to try out Brutal Doom in co-op, and wound up playing till 2:30am.  Sipgate - Evil

FYI we had major problems trying to network with the GZDoom version. If you think you might want to do multiplayer at all, I'd highly advise just going with Skulltag. The GZdoom build does look slightly better, but not enough to make it worth suffering through the netcode. By E1M2 we were permanently desynced every single time.

I probably speak for a lot of people when I say this... As a kid I used to imagine all sorts of scenes and encounters in Doom that weren't remotely possible in-game. As I grew older, I eventually realized the limitations of the game and gave up on those things ever happening. However, in just a week with Brutal Doom, many of those things have finally unfolded as part of its emergent gameplay.

At one point midway through Doom 1's second episode, we passed by this super dark area, where we were attacked and opened fire until everything stopped moving. Then after proceeding for 20 minutes we got stuck and eventually wandered back to see if we missed a door. Given that we'd already shot the place up and nothing was attacking us, we just assumed the room was clear. So I stood there idly studying the automap for a good 1-2 seconds of utter silence, when I was spontaneously eviscerated! Somehow when we killed everyone else in the room, an imp had decided to hide in a dark corner rather than walking straight at us chucking fireballs, and when we came back, he had to have snuck up with deliberate stealth in order to get into fatality range without being shot (it was utterly silent before I died).

The game essentially punishes you for carelessness the same way horror movies kill off their disposable characters, keeping you on your toes. At one point my girlfriend forgot to look both ways when crossing a door, and a Hell Baron suddenly grabbed her from behind and tore her arms off. Another time I made a sloppy berserk rush against a mob of pinkies; I was eaten alive.

At one point late in Doom 1 we suddenly heard demons being killed by plasma fire in the next room. "Wait, was that you?" "No, I was right here, and I had the chaingun." A few moments later, we encountered a 3rd Doom marine wandering the map killing baddies. It was so surprising, I started to consider the extreme unlikelihood of someone else in our apartment complex just happening to be a pc gamer, just happening to be an active Skulltag player, just happening to jump on the unencrypted wireless router we use for LAN play, notice the game running on Doomseeker, and joining up. However, later in the game I found another live marine tied to a post when I went in a secret room to grab ammo. After cutting him free with the chainsaw, he followed us around covering our six until we were eventually separated; obviously NPC AI allies are just a designed part of Brutal Doom's gameplay.

Extended playtime with this mod has made me appreciate the AI upgrades as much as the weapons. Don't let the sophomoric gore deter you from what is a great enhancement to Doom's core gameplay. The zombies weapons actually do proper damage, and they shoot like they're trying to kill you. The imps have leaping claw attacks, often send them through windows and over ledges to hit you from unexpected places. Cacodemons will make sudden strafing movements to avoid fire, Barons will chuck 3 fireballs at once, and rapid fire from a chaingun guy, cyberdemon, or mastermind, is utterly devastating. The game is just a hell of a lot more fun, I almost can't imagine going back to vanilla Doom's gameplay, and I wish there was a version for Doom 3.

The funny thing is, compared to all those "improved textures" and model replacements, the original Doom artwork still looks so much better.
Well, the replacement models are definitely awful, and in the past the high res textures have been pretty spotty, I do think Jdoom provides a pretty significant graphical improvement today. Grab the high res menu addon, the 3d skyboxes, the latest high res textures, Doom 64 sprite pack, PSX music wad, turn the gamma down a bit to give the dynamic lights a bit more prominence, run it at 1080p, and you're rolling.

On that note, I always found it funny when people slammed Doom 64 for using sprites rather than "true 3D" enemy models. If you ask me, those sprites have aged much better than the blocky lego-esque abortions of most 3D games in that era.
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #26 on: 2012-06-19, 19:03 »

I finally got try Brutal Doom yesterday. I must say it is Pure Brutality. I decided to play alone with few useless bots via Skulltag on Doom 2, booted up MAP16(Suburbs), when you left the spawn area, it was Insane. I ran out of ammo quickly and to rely on zombies for AR ammo, but there only seemed to be 10-20 in the map. I didn't finish it, since I always got incinerated or torn apart by pack of imps. Even though I quit, it was very fun. Also getting payback on the imps with Beserk made me feel like a walking badass.(Alot like FistMarine's gif)
                                    Doom - ExclamationChainsaw Big Gun Firing the BFG  Doom - Exclamation
« Last Edit: 2012-06-19, 19:06 by J3E125 » Logged

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #27 on: 2012-06-19, 22:14 »

<3 Brutal doom. Playing through again was a heck of a treat. I STILL seem to have this almost painful obsession with the shotgun though.. lol

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #28 on: 2012-06-19, 22:48 »

<3 Brutal doom. Playing through again was a heck of a treat. I STILL seem to have this almost painful obsession with the shotgun though.. lol
I too.  Slipgate - Love

FistMarine

« Reply #29 on: 2012-06-20, 06:23 »

I finally got try Brutal Doom yesterday. I must say it is Pure Brutality. I decided to play alone with few useless bots via Skulltag on Doom 2, booted up MAP16(Suburbs), when you left the spawn area, it was Insane. I ran out of ammo quickly and to rely on zombies for AR ammo, but there only seemed to be 10-20 in the map. I didn't finish it, since I always got incinerated or torn apart by pack of imps. Even though I quit, it was very fun. Also getting payback on the imps with Beserk made me feel like a walking badass.(Alot like FistMarine's gif)
                                    Doom - ExclamationChainsaw Big Gun Firing the BFG  Doom - Exclamation
Yep. My avatar is based off a one of the marine skins made by Mark Quinn. And then they were used in the mod so for example, when you select your fists, your skin changes to the Fist Marine.
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #30 on: 2012-06-20, 07:35 »

Walking 50 MPH with your fist reminds me of Hyper-Blaster Surfing in Quake 2.
The mighty FistMarine, rip and tear!

FistMarine

« Reply #31 on: 2012-06-21, 16:55 »

Walking 50 MPH with your fist reminds me of Hyper-Blaster Surfing in Quake 2.
The mighty FistMarine, rip and tear!

This is what I do in my free time with the monsters. Slipgate - Grin
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #32 on: 2012-06-21, 18:44 »

"Doom Marine ANGRY!  Doom Marine STOMP!"

I really need to get some time to give Brutal Doom a try.Fainting

Oh, and +internets to whoever gets the above reference.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #33 on: 2012-06-21, 21:50 »

Wasn't that a flash comic circa 2000 featuring the drummer of Metallica?

I eventually figured out the Fastmonsters option works with Brutal Doom, even though it does *always* look like it made a difference, it does, and makes the combat that much more insane. I think I died 8-9 times in a row on E1M6 ultriaviolence.

And yeah, the shotgun rocks, though I wish they'd left the spread a tad wider.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: