2024-04-26, 12:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom 3: BFG Edition  (Read 50402 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #60 on: 2012-09-11, 17:20 »

The open forum exists for thoughts to be shared, so share away.

One thing I'm not certain about is whether or not BFG edition supports Resurrection of Evil.  I would hope it does, but does anyone know for certain?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #61 on: 2012-09-11, 21:22 »

It's included.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
FistMarine

« Reply #62 on: 2012-09-12, 06:03 »

Yes, they included Doom 1 (Full/Ultimate), Doom 2, Doom 3 + RoE + Lost Levels. Though they didn't include the Master Levels and Final Doom since they were NOT made by ID Software. I can't wait to be released, definitely buy this one. Doom - Thumbs Up!
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #63 on: 2012-09-12, 10:19 »

On top of that... where is a Q2 release for XBL?! Re-release D1, D2 and D3 and no Q2?! Ugh, they need to think about that.  

Quake 2 has been ported actually, it's just not an XBLA title.  It was included in the Xbox 360 release for Quake 4.  There is no online multiplayer sadly, but the single-player is there and splitscreen multiplayer is as well.  (You can also do System Link.)

Hmm... I have it for the 360 but I never noticed Q2 on it. I probably should break that out again and check it. Although I grabbed mine up used, and if I'm not mistaken on the PC version it was a collectors edition of sorts that you got that with. My 360 version is not one of those. Slipgate - Sad It's just a regular version.

FistMarine

« Reply #64 on: 2012-10-19, 17:34 »

I read the info about Doom 3 BFG Edition and I'm disappointed of what I'm seeing here.
First, the copies of Doom 1 & 2 are NOT original and here is why:
-Stimpacks, Medikits and Berserk packs have now a pill instead of a cross.
-Redesigned menu (example when you exit game it shows 3 options if you want to stay, quit or return to main menu interface). Also the demo that starts, it doesn't show the HUD and the title screen has been replaced by the intermission screen.
-The secret levels of Doom 2 (MAP31 and MAP32) have been censored! They have removed every texture from Wolfenstein (because of Germany) and all the Nazi Soldiers have been replaced by the pistol zombies. Also MAP31 name is now IDKFA and MAP32 is Keen.
-Included bonus map 33 Betray and the secret exit on map 02 but you can't access the map at all (due of engine limitations). For those who don't know about that map, it was included in Collectors Edition of Doom 3 XBOX (I think) but the map it's pretty shitty.
-Added No Rest For The Living" episode as second episode of Doom 2. Also instead of Which Episode, it says: Which Expansion?

There are many other changes but I'm not going to list them all. Oh yeah, this and the fact that newer games use that stupid Steam EVEN if you own a psychical copy of a newer game (sorry to users who actually like Steam but I was disappointed when I bought a psychical copy of Duke Nukem Forever, it would install through Steam and not from the disc itself, as did old games) are the reasons why I won't buy this...yet! Banging Head against Wall

So, because I'm the only one here without the whole Doom collection (I'm missing full/ultimate Doom, Final Doom and Doom 3), I will have to use EBay to get Doom Collectors Edition but then I will also have to find normal Doom 3. Oh and please don't recommend Steam, I hate it so much! Don't ask why. Slipgate - Shouting
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #65 on: 2012-10-19, 19:02 »

They did WHAT to Doom 1 and Doom 2?  That's sacrilege!  Slipgate - Shouting  Doom - Exclamation

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #66 on: 2012-10-20, 02:03 »

I got Doom II on XBLA last year and it had the same pill icons on the health when it was released. I can let that one slide as it became a legal requirement a few years ago that games could no longer feature a red cross. As for the Wolf3D levels, it's political correctness gone mad. Completely at odds with a game as irreverent as oldskool Doom, and a bit depressing in general.

Incidentally No Rest For The Living is feckin ace and the PC version is fully playable in your (limit-removing) sourceport of choice.*

*Though ripping it from XBLA Doom was a piece of cake too ...

J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #67 on: 2012-10-20, 19:25 »

*Though ripping it from XBLA Doom was a piece of cake too ...
Couldn't agree more. Like with Quake 4, they should've had a bonus disc for Doom and Doom II plus the other garbage.

J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #68 on: 2012-10-21, 21:13 »

-The secret levels of Doom 2 (MAP31 and MAP32) have been censored! They have removed every texture from Wolfenstein (because of Germany) and all the Nazi Soldiers have been replaced by the pistol zombies. Also MAP31 name is now IDKFA and MAP32 is Keen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1snCRIl16ks

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #69 on: 2012-10-21, 22:00 »

What a load of crap.  I'm so sick of people caving to political correctness and whiny little bitches that get offended about everything.  Red Cross doesn't like the logo?  I got news for you, Red Cross, that's a Christian symbol that predates your organization by several centuries, and originated in Greece!  Germany?  Great way to bury your past by running away from it.  No Nazi symbols, even when you're killing Nazis.  How can you teach history by abolishing it?

Sure, we can have pentagrams and exploding bodies and that's OK, but draw a Swastika for historical context or use a well known symbol for healing and people flip out.  It used to be the pentragrams people got upset about.  Now it's the crosses.  Absolutely insane what this world has come to.
   Banging Head against Wall

J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #70 on: 2012-10-21, 22:18 »

Couldn't agree you more. People b**ching about crosses and nazi objects in the game, yet you keep the pentagrams and the upside-down crosses, idiots! I really don't get why id wasted their time on making a censored "remake".
« Last Edit: 2012-10-21, 22:29 by J3E125 » Logged

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #71 on: 2012-10-22, 12:47 »

What a load of crap.  I'm so sick of people caving to political correctness and whiny little bitches that get offended about everything.  Red Cross doesn't like the logo?  I got news for you, Red Cross, that's a Christian symbol that predates your organization by several centuries, and originated in Greece!  Germany?  Great way to bury your past by running away from it.  No Nazi symbols, even when you're killing Nazis.  How can you teach history by abolishing it?
The Nazi thing has been a pet peeve of mine for years. Almost every game that is released showing that time in history doesn't show a swastika because Germany says no. Yet the iron cross, the eagle, and even the uniform colors are perfectly fine.. red band around the arm and all. Somehow the swastika makes it just that much more evil.. or something.. I dunno. I doubt I'll ever understand it, really.
As for the red cross logo, that just blows my mind. Next thing you know, the Medic in TF2 won't be allowed to have his cross symbol (which is red or blue, depending on team).

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #72 on: 2012-10-22, 14:22 »

The only thing that interests me about BFG edition at this point is the gamepad support. There are a lot of games out there which can be run "splitscreen" just by running 2 windows of the game and assigning a gamepad to the extra window. For vanilla Doom 3 (and Q3) this has never worked because there's no support for analog joystick input; your rate of turn/tilt is always the same regardless of how far you push the stick, which is pretty unplayable. Assuming BFG's new gamepad support is comparable to other recent PC releases, and mods like OpenCoop and LMS still work, this means we can finally run local coop games at home with just 1 PC.
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #73 on: 2012-10-22, 23:49 »

I never had the opportunity to play Doom 3 when it was released, so the BFG Edition is of great interest to me... and I had no idea that this version of Doom 2 includes that (formerly) XBLA-exclusive episode, so there's also that.

If I ever want to play Ultimate Doom or Doom 2 proper, I'll just load up Chocolate Doom and the correct IWAD. Whatever.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #74 on: 2012-10-23, 00:33 »

Gnam, why would you want to run Doom 3 in split-screen? It doesn't have any co-op aspect, and the multiplayer is nearly non-existent. Am I missing something?
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #75 on: 2012-10-23, 13:44 »

The OpenCoop mod adds cooperative play to Doom 3.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #76 on: 2012-10-24, 22:41 »

~Va^^pyrA~, aside from OpenCoop, which Makou just mentioned, there's Last Man Standing. Between the two of them, you can co-op Doom 3's main campaign, ROE's campaign, play a bunch of new co-op arcade-style missions, and do a UT Invasion-style gametype on Doom 3's multiplayer maps.

I have yet to confirm it, but if this screen is to be believed, the Phobos TC may include co-op as well, which would be awesome.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #77 on: 2012-10-25, 00:51 »

Worth noting at this juncture that BFG Edition doesn't support mods. And the original versions of both D3 and RoE have been withdrawn from the majority of the digital distribution sites.

Activision, all is forgiven ...

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #78 on: 2012-10-25, 10:49 »

So I just got around to watching this video, and WOW. That right there completely blows my mind. Why even include the levels at all if you're going to neuter them so badly?
Just.. wow. Go the route the SNES did with Wolf3d if you want to with those stages. That censoring was SMART compared to what I saw there.
On the flip side... I hope the entirety of Wolf3d gets 'remastered' sometime in the future. It'd be awesomely hilarious to see.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #79 on: 2012-10-25, 23:38 »

Fortunately there are already unofficial patches which restore both the health and the Wolf3D levels to their original glory. Shame that it's come to that though.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: