2024-03-28, 20:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I Smell a Wild Fire  (Read 27733 times)
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« on: 2012-06-26, 00:27 »

(CAUTION: Phoenix - You'll ignite like JATO Rockets)
In the past month, a troll that goes by the name of "IntelligentCODFanboy" spreads his idea of Call of Duty Supremacy, stating that CoD was the first FPS, that it utilizes the best graphics engine, that it's the only capable game to run at 60 FPS 1080P made by geniuses, and saying that it invented Deathmatch and CTF gamemodes. He also stated that the Xbox 360 is the most powerful rig available - that it's state of the art tech surpasses PC's and that PC gaming should be banished for crap graphics and it's poor selection of games, and that the mouse and keyboard are unrealistic and the clunkiest thing around.

Summary: He says the Call of Duty franchise makes the best video game ever every year.
Since ICODF posts tons of comments I'll just link his Youtube Video.
« Last Edit: 2012-06-26, 00:32 by J3E125 » Logged

FistMarine

« Reply #1 on: 2012-06-26, 11:13 »

No Way! This is bullshit! I hate Call of Duty!!! By the way did you looked at the number of dislikes? Has 145 dislikes and 6 likes. Let's take a look at his video:
So if the games he showed have glitches, doesn't mean that CoD has glitches too? I mean, I hate when people claim something that isn't even true!
Do you want to know which is the BEST GAME EVER?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yep, you guessed it right. But this is just my opinion so anyone can have different opinions but IMO the classic old games remain my favorites. Surely at my school every boy from my classroom loves CoD and other modern games, in fact they hate the old games. For GOD SAKE, what happened to the kids of today? Why is this happening? Why there aren't many old-games fans like me? Who else agrees?
« Last Edit: 2012-06-26, 11:16 by FistMarine » Logged
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #2 on: 2012-06-26, 17:21 »

This guy is whack! Everyone knows that Halo is the best FPS out there.  Oh My F'ing Gawd

J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #3 on: 2012-06-26, 19:36 »

I reject your opinion and substitute my own, but it's a great FPS.
I HATE how says Call of Duty was the first FPS, an obvious troll.
 :rage:
~Va^^pyrA~: Yes, but he's actually a smart troll- to an extent.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2012-06-26, 20:08 »

I don't burst into flames over obvious trolls like this, especially on YouTube.  He has exactly one video (that one) and all his comments on other threads are just repeating what he says there.

I really don't even have anything against the original CoD as a game.  What I dislike is the effect the series has on shooters and gaming as a whole due to developers copying some of its mechanics.  I also dislike the player base that holds to the same sentiments as the idiot that posted that video.

As for multiplayer in MW3 and the CoD series in general... here's the definitive take on it.  GK-Deacon linked me to a video of a clanmate of his that plays MW3 with a gaming keyboard and mouse absolutely dominating using nothing but a knife, and apparently this is routine for this guy.  He's an old-school Quake player, and it shows in his movement and attacks.  I think that pretty much ends any discussion about multiplayer superiority.  We know which games require real skill, and which ones don't.
  Slipgate - Ninja

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #5 on: 2012-06-26, 23:49 »

I tried BF3 multiplayer, And I probably never will play it again.

Say what you want about today's graphics but you can't say that the game play is even comparable to older games.
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #6 on: 2012-06-27, 00:33 »

As for multiplayer in MW3 and the CoD series in general... here's the definitive take on it.  GK-Deacon linked me to a video of a clanmate of his that plays MW3 with a gaming keyboard and mouse absolutely dominating using nothing but a knife, and apparently this is routine for this guy.  He's an old-school Quake player, and it shows in his movement and attacks.  I think that pretty much ends any discussion about multiplayer superiority.  We know which games require real skill, and which ones don't.
  Slipgate - Ninja
I'd love to see that video!
I don't burst into flames over obvious trolls like this, especially on YouTube.  He has exactly one video (that one) and all his comments on other threads are just repeating what he says there.
Hmm I guess everyone has there own fuse.

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #7 on: 2012-06-28, 17:38 »

jesus this crap again. I tell these little shits at work all the time, unlike them i was at E3 in 2003 when call of duty made its debut, and alot of its features were really somthing impressive at the time. What is not impressive is that the game has not been changed since then, except to make it more dumbed down for the pathetic unemployed pothead that call themselves gamers today. Everything we true nerds love is taken from us when it becomes mainstream. God how i loathe young people, even when i was one.
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #8 on: 2012-06-29, 13:20 »

i was at E3 in 2003 when call of duty made its debut, and alot of its features were really somthing impressive at the time. What is not impressive is that the game has not been changed since then, except to make it more dumbed down
While I was not present at E3, my feelings towards CoD are the same.
The first game was great for what it was.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2012-06-29, 16:35 »

What annoys me are console gamers that think all PC gamers are elitist snobs for being critical over the kind of games that are popular.  I don't mind playing games that are considered by others to be mediocre so long as I'm enjoying the game and didn't pay much for it, but I think PC gamers have every right to be more critical.  Consoles cost a few hundred dollars, but a high-end gaming PC with a multiple-monitor setup can cost into the thousands.  Anyone that serious about gaming has every right to be demanding.  What's upsetting to most PC gamers is that too many games try to be the same thing and there's little innovation going on, and it's consoles that are to blame.  Why?  Console gamers follow a formula of buying the same crap repackaged without anything really new or different.  It is making a few companies a lot of money, so other game companies see the following formula:

Step 1:  Copy what Company A is doing.
Step 2:  ???
Step 3:  Profit!

It's like expecting Fillet Mignon and being served stew meat while the chef whistles all the way to the bank with your cash.  Idiots like this troll embody the mentality of the people responsible for substandard games pretending to be AAA titles being the rule now.

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #10 on: 2012-06-29, 21:40 »

i was at E3 in 2003 when call of duty made its debut, and alot of its features were really somthing impressive at the time.

Like what? I'm not being snide, I'm genuinely curious as to what you think.

I recall already being bored with the WWII setting by the time Call of Duty came out. It already felt generic byway of the exploitation Medal of Honor saw. The game looked alright, but failed to impressed in contrast of older games on the same engine (like RtCW, for an apples-to-apples comparison). I played through it, but the only thing I can remember nowadays is that there seemed to be a lot of particle effects and scripted events. The amount of scripted events were novel for the time, but outright killed all replayability due to set piece sequences that never changed at all.

The "shellshock" effect was neat and that was about all. Slipgate - Tongue
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #11 on: 2012-06-30, 17:15 »

That was more than two minutes of my life.

People who explicity refer to themselves as "intelligent" rarely never are.

I hate the Internet. All it ever does is give gormless erections like this ijit a platform to get up people's noses.

And that GTA4 glitch is the single best thing about the game.

As for "best game ever made", well, there's only one possible answer to that Doom - Thumbs Up!
« Last Edit: 2012-06-30, 17:18 by scalliano » Logged

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #12 on: 2012-06-30, 22:09 »

I never really understood this "fanboy" shizzle, i mean wtf i enjoy games! If its good it's all well if it's not then i simply won't play it Slipgate - Smile

Reminds me of the Mac vs Linux vs Windows fanbois.. my god! Thought i still enjoy fanboys having their flamewars Slipgate - Smile
FistMarine

« Reply #13 on: 2012-07-01, 07:46 »

I never understood why people use the penultimate step as question marks before the word "Profit". Seriously, I've seen it so many times. What means that? Sorry for being a noob but there are some things I can't understand!
As for "best game ever made", well, there's only one possible answer to that
Haha, good one! Not really but everyone has their own opinions, I mean that I enjoy classic old games, other guy enjoys modern games, someone else enjoys both, etc.
Now it depends on person. Not everyone can like a single game.
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #14 on: 2012-07-01, 17:27 »

I never understood why people use the penultimate step as question marks before the word "Profit". Seriously, I've seen it so many times. What means that? Sorry for being a noob but there are some things I can't understand!

Underwear Gnomes  Doom - Thumbs Up!
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #15 on: 2012-07-04, 02:19 »

Underpants Gnomes Clip
FistMarine

« Reply #16 on: 2012-07-04, 05:48 »

Thanks very much guys! All it was; was just a small joke from South Park! Now I get it. Slipgate - Thumbs up!
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #17 on: 2012-07-06, 23:35 »

What's upsetting to most PC gamers is that too many games try to be the same thing and there's little innovation going on, and it's consoles that are to blame.  Why?  Console gamers follow a formula of buying the same crap repackaged without anything really new or different.  It is making a few companies a lot of money, so other game companies see the following formula:

Step 1:  Copy what Company A is doing.
Step 3:  Profit!

With an attitude like that, you deserve to be called an "elitist".  You are oversimplifying a complex issue and trying to propose an "us" versus "them" solution.

What sort of innovation do think is possible on PC and not on consoles as well?

The most common argument I see levied against consoles is that they are holding back technological progress.  But why is that?  Hardware manufacturers could produce newer and faster stuff if they wanted to.  So why don't they want to?  Perhaps it is because it is not in their best interest financially.  And why would that be?  Perhaps the majority of consumers are happy with the current level of technology.

Stemming from the innovation question, are you aware that all major platforms now feature digital distribution systems which enable small studios and independent developers to develop original IP with a smaller budget and therefore, less risk?

Believe it or not, Microsoft helped to pioneer that with their Xbox LIVE service.

As for "...buying the same crap repackaged without anything really new or different..."

Do you not see how the same argument could be applied to PC gaming?  How many Wolfenstein and DOOM clones were there?  How many companies jumped aboard the 3D bandwagon after Quake was released?  How many Diablo clones did we get from Blizzard's success?  You are using consoles as a scapegoat when your actual problem is with those who develop and support these kind of games.  And you know, I do think game developers should know better.  But consumers?  They just want to play what they want to play which is no different from you or I.

Last argument, not really in direct response to anything but a good summation of what I'm ultimately driving at here:

Do you enjoy using Steam to play your games?

Think about why that is.  Now think about why people are attracted to consoles.  Are the reasons not similar?

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #18 on: 2012-07-07, 06:28 »

Actually, no... I don't enjoy Steam much at all. It is increasingly becoming an outright necessity however.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #19 on: 2012-07-07, 10:00 »

With an attitude like that, you deserve to be called an "elitist".  You are oversimplifying a complex issue and trying to propose an "us" versus "them" solution.
I think you misunderstood my complaint.  I said "console gamers that think all PC gamers are elitist snobs".  I did not mean to imply that all console gamers have this opinion.  I was referring to a very specific minority group within the console gaming crowd that I have had the misfortune of encountering on other message boards.  I can see how the wording might have not been entirely precise.   Slipgate - Surprised

What sort of innovation do think is possible on PC and not on consoles as well?
Right now on the PC there's multiple-screen gaming, as well as 3D gaming.  There's also the ability to mod games.  If any of this is going on in the console market I'm not aware of it, or at least, it's not been widely publicized.  Perhaps future generation consoles will have this ability, but at present this is something that is not on the radar.

The most common argument I see levied against consoles is that they are holding back technological progress.
I've not made that argument, nor would I.  Technological progress is occurring.  Most of it is in the mobile sector right now, but there's plenty of advancement still going on in the CPU, GPU, and in storage.  As for what makes people happy... I can only speak for myself.

Stemming from the innovation question, are you aware that all major platforms now feature digital distribution systems which enable small studios and independent developers to develop original IP with a smaller budget and therefore, less risk?
Yes, though I believe digital distribution has more to do with reducing production overhead and skipping retail distribution channels, as well as acting as a form of DRM.

Do you not see how the same argument could be applied to PC gaming?  How many Wolfenstein and DOOM clones were there?  How many companies jumped aboard the 3D bandwagon after Quake was released?
Wolfenstein and Doom were the pioneering games of the FPS genre.  Prior to that, first person shooters did not really exist.  It was uncharted territory.  We could nitpick similarities between games using similar engine tech, but that leaves out a critical piece of the picture, which is the hardware capabilities of the time.  Quake pushed the FPS genre into full 3D, yes, but it was only natural that a transition from sprite-based rendering to full polygonal rendering would take place at some point.  My issue is not with the technical aspects of how gaming has progressed, but what developers are doing, or rather, what they are not doing with the tech.

You are using consoles as a scapegoat when your actual problem is with those who develop and support these kind of games.  And you know, I do think game developers should know better.  But consumers?  They just want to play what they want to play which is no different from you or I.
I don't see it as using consoles as a scapegoat so much as identifying why there's a general lack of interest on the part of developers to break from the current pattern of military shooters that copy mechanics from COD and HALO, and the problem of bad porting.  I am not saying all console games are bad, nor am I saying games designed for a console shouldn't be ported to the PC, and vice-versa.  What annoys me is when someone ports a game and does a crap job of it and doesn't allow the PC gamer to be able to fine-tune their experience.  The PC lets you have amazing control over how a game appears and performs, and with the variety of hardware available it's rather important to have more than just "Graphics: ON" and "Graphics:  OFF" options as one video rather smartly put it.  This has everything to do with understanding your market.  Games designed for the PC have been largely customizable and configurable for a long time now.  So... we're not supposed to expect this from games simply because that's not how it's done on consoles?  What ever happened to the customer being right?  If I paid good money to build a machine and pay good money for a game I damn well want it to be able to make it perform as best as possible.  If it's elitist to expect a certain level of quality for hard earned cash, well slap a label on me I guess, but I'm not really asking for anything more than what has already been done in the past.  It wasn't a problem then... I see the lack of control as a huge step backwards.

Last argument, not really in direct response to anything but a good summation of what I'm ultimately driving at here:

Actually... no.  I did not like Steam when it was first introduced, and I still do not like it.  I use it to play certain games simply because there is no other option.  Maybe I'm old fashioned this way, but I prefer to have a box, with a manual, and a disk on which I can install the game on whatever machine I want, whenever I want, as many times as I want, without having to have my computer talk over the internet to some other computer in order for the "privilege" to use what I already paid for.  Steam is monopolistic and monolithic.

Now think about why people are attracted to consoles.
That's a tough one for me.  Why are people attracted to consoles, other than cost?  There's just so much more you can do with a computer that I can't see why someone would prefer a console.  I'm not being snide here either.  Remember, I am not from this modern generation.  I saw the first video games, the first computers, the first home video games, and the first home computers.  Seeing how a modern PC can do so much I genuinely do not understand the prevalence of consoles at this time.  As you are, it seems, inclined to defend the console market for reasons you have not yet entirely expressed, perhaps you could help to enlighten me about this phenomenon? Doom - Huh?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: