2024-03-28, 15:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood  (Read 7912 times)
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« on: 2015-03-04, 19:32 »

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/04/b...thesda-reveals-wolfenstein-the-new-blood

This looks to be an immediate prequel to The New Order, placing BJ back into a more grounded historical environment. The trailer shows lots of castle interiors and snow cliffs. Definitely more akin to previous Wolfenstein titles. While the retro sci-fi stuff in The New Order was interesting, I still think that Wolfenstein 2009 had the best overall setting... that pulp sci-fi, with hints of occultism. Slipgate - Smile

We shall see.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2015-03-04, 21:11 »

I still have to play The New Order yet.... and we already get another Wolf game?  I wish Id wasn't having so much trouble with the new Doom game.  The Wolf team is putting them to shame.  Slipgate - WTF

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #2 on: 2015-03-05, 00:40 »

It sounds as if it's more of a stand-alone expansion pack. So while not quite an entirely new game, the additional content does speak volumes when compared to Doom 4.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2015-03-05, 19:41 »

True.  I just meant that the Wolf team is churning out a lot of content, while Doom is still (no pun intended) in limbo.

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #4 on: 2015-03-06, 01:42 »

I really have to wonder about the future for Doom in general. Since it's been an internal development, it seems plausible that it's been hit the hardest by the upheavals at Id.
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2015-03-06, 06:30 »

Oh please guys there is no Id anymore. All the original guys are gone, its just a studio with the same name owned by a shitty publisher.
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #6 on: 2015-03-06, 21:13 »

Oh, I agree. That's what I meant by "upheavals", really. With the more recent departure of Carmack, there is absolutely nothing left of Id. Though maybe you could argue that has been the case since the mid 90s when all of the creative types like John Romero and Sandy Peterson left.

I think they knew that they were spiraling the drain as development for RAGE ran on. They cashed out with Zenimax when they could and that was that. RAGE actually ended up being a pretty fun game, but it was far too little, far too late. Id still has a good chest of IP though. The successful outsourcing of the past couple Wolfenstein games shows that. I wish that they would go a different route with Quake Live than they have, but it's still limping along and is present in the competitive scene.
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #7 on: 2015-03-09, 14:58 »

Rage was fun but i felt like they just made a less creative rip off of Fallout with a flashy engine and made it about a third as long as it should have been. They called it an ark instead of a vault. Thats just lazy.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2015-03-09, 16:24 »

I like Rage, with a few gripes.  The release on the PC was a huge bugfest, to the point of having broken rendering geometry on Windows XP (didn't encounter that on Windows 7).  The texture popping wasn't a big deal to me, but to some people it was a huge annoyance.  The driving wasn't so horrible as some people said, expecially going back and playing Half-Life 2.  The only real difference is boost and third-person perspective.  Otherwise the controls are pretty much the same.  I really wish they had a first-person driving option in Rage as that's always more immersive.  What I didn't like was that your own vehicle was pretty much indestructible most of the time unless in a combat race, and drop mines were completely useless.  They did almost zero damage.  Once I realized this I just started running over the damned things.  Also... the ending.  That was a huge letdown.  I expected to fight through a high-tech city ala Quake 2, only to find it was an extremely short hallway crawl with an anti-climactic final battle.  It felt like that part of the game was rushed and should have been longer.

The really good parts?  The first-person combat was awesome, a lot of the weapons were interesting, and being able to shoot a dynamite arrow into someone is just sick fun.  Visually the game is gorgeous if you tweak it properly on a high-end system.  The wasteland itself was fun to explore.  I just wish it had been a bit larger.

I can't comment on any similarities to the Fallout series as I've not played any of those.  If they're similar, oh well.  Duke 3D and Doom were similar.  A lot of games in the same genre have similarities, so I'm not usually one to gripe on that.

Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #9 on: 2015-03-09, 20:22 »

I can't comment on any similarities to the Fallout series as I've not played any of those.  If they're similar, oh well.  Duke 3D and Doom were similar.  A lot of games in the same genre have similarities, so I'm not usually one to gripe on that.

If it ain't broke why fix it?
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #10 on: 2015-03-10, 22:35 »

I don't think the comparison to Fallout (or Borderlands, as I've also heard) is very fair. The post apocalyptic wasteland isn't a particularly unique trope in science fiction. If anything, I think RAGE seems to draw a lot more inspiration from the Mad Max series.

It was way too short, however.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: