2024-03-28, 21:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake Champions  (Read 33318 times)
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #40 on: 2017-06-16, 19:26 »

I've been playing since the second (?) week of the closed beta. I think it is generally a decent game. The aesthetics are mostly on point, and I love all of the callbacks to Quake 1 over, say, Quake 2 or even Quake 3. I actually wish they'd go further in that regard and supplant the machine guns entirely with nailguns. The less hit scan weapons the better as far as I'm concerned. Slipgate - Tongue

The idea of playing different "champions" never bothered me as a concept, since Generations is already sort of that. I don't think Champions pulls it off very well though. The vast discrepancies between health and armor hinder more than they help. Certain characters have such infinitely superior physics that it's almost laughable, and almost all of the active powers feel watered down to pointlessness. I almost feel as if they should have made each champion more unique for team based game modes, while stripping the powers away entirely for things like DM and Duel.

All of that being said, I haven't played in a few weeks. Not because I feel as if it's a bad game, because it's not. It's not all that different than Quake 3, which was vastly different than Quake 2, which was vastly different than Quake 1. No, it's because the game takes FOREVER to actually play. You wait through menu after menu after menu, after loading screen after loading screen after loading screen. Not to mention the lengthy wait just to find a match and queue up. There also doesn't seem to be any way to directly duel people on my friends list. I need to be able to start the game and get in a few quick matches with minimal effort. As it is, I spend more time staring out loading screens than actually playing.

Then once you get into a match? Prepare for lag! It will say that your ping is great, but it's quite clearly a lie. Not only will you see opponents bounce around and phase through corners, but well-aimed shots will simply pass right through them. This is on top of the already infuriating delay that so many of the weapons have. It often times feels like a fast-paced game, but once the shooting starts it becomes so imprecise that it's hard to stay enthusiastic. They need to get their netcode straightened out pronto... like yesterday! Without a smooth online experience this game is nothing, regardless of whatever else they do.

Edit: Apparently there are Private Matches now? Maybe I'll take another look this weekend, especially since Blazkowicz is in now. Though it never really seemed in doubt that BJ and Doom would be added eventually, given that both series have current incarnations to promote. Now we just need Commander Keen and Dangerous Dave as champions, along with some love for RAGE. Slipgate - Tongue
« Last Edit: 2017-06-16, 19:40 by ~Va^^pyrA~ » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #41 on: 2017-06-16, 21:20 »

That's the one thing I don't get is why the netcode is behaving badly.  Quake 3 has absolutely fantastic netcode.  I was able to play Quake 3 at the end of my dialup days when Quake 2 was not even allowing me to move due to my seriously crappy connection at the time.  It's sounding to me like they've ditched every single optimization inherent in Q3 and are just trying to rely on bandwidth to try to make up for it.

Some things I've learn about network optimization while working on Gen:

Some things can be run parallel on server and client.  Math is math, and as long as you have a place to start and run identical math then you can make some very complex stuff happen.  Example:  Arena BFG.  All of the projectile physics are simulated in parallel.  The BFG blast is triggered by a single event which contains an origin point vector (3 floats), integer (8 bit) that indicates which client owns the projectile, and a seed integer value (16 bit I think) to generate the random pseudo-random explosion pattern.  That's the ONLY network data sent to spawn the explosion.  If a BFG particle hits a player on the server the server sends an impact event to the client pointing out which particle number got hit, spawns an explosion at that point, and the client stops drawing that particle number.  It's extremely efficient.  I could blow up 50 Arena BFG projectiles and it would take up no more network data than 50 machinegun impacts despite rendering over 10,000 BFG particles, and each BFG particle would only send data if it hit something and exploded.  So how does this relate to a modern game?  Physics is physics.  If a crate gets knocked by an impact then all the client would need to know is enough information to start the object moving.  Until it is acted upon again by some other physics object the math can be extrapolated on the client.  If there's concerns about synchronization, then the server could send periodic updates on objects.  With an Arena shooter though... why would this even be needed?  Unless you're going to allow the player to break the scenery with weapons fire how much physics do you need?

Selective entity updating:  Was there a change to the entity that the client needs to know about?  If not, let it keep doing what it's doing client-side.  Don't send data if nothing changed.  A missile flying in a straight line just needs to tell the client "I've spawned here flying this fast" or "I hit something" or "I've timed out and got removed".  The server doesn't need to update the entity data every frame to the client.

Variable precision:  Is a float needed when an int will do?  Does this data need to be a 16-bit int or will 8 bits do?

Selective data structure updating:  Do I really need to send the ENTIRE data structure, or just what's changed?  If a rocket is spawned do I need to send every possible part of the data structure that an entity can have, or just the origin, the time it spawned, the fact that it's a rocket, who owns it, and its velocity (direction is derived from this vector) since that's all someone really needs to draw a rocket in flight?

Server framerate:  How often does the server need to update a client on what's going on in the world?  If there's 250 entities on a map, and I update it 60 times a second to 5 clients, that's a maximum theoretical of 75,000 entries being sent by the server.  If I update 100 times a second   125,000.  If I only need to update it 20 times a second that's 25,000.  Now, throw in optimizations.  Say only 5 entities need constant updating - players.  Now add in 20 entities - gunshots and rockets.  Run the server at 20 FPS.  That reduced the server overhead to a theoretical max of 2,000 updates in that second.  Say those 20 other entities don't need constant updating.  Say they were one-shot events.  That drops it to 600 updates: (5 players * 20 single events) + (5 players * 5 players * 20 snapshots ) = 600.  If we run at 60 FPS that would translate to 1600 since only the snapshot number in the second half of the equation would change.

That's not even adding in other optimizations such as area portals that exclude clients from receiving updates about events that they're not anywhere near.  With all the testing I've done in Gen, and what you guys have done, I've gotten a really good education on how to optimize stuff to not break network efficiency.  I can't think of any valid excuse for an arena shooter to have bad netcode.  I can think of plenty of bad ones - laziness, sloppy programming, incompetence, poorly integrated game logic - but no good ones.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #42 on: 2017-07-20, 19:27 »

... Again with the linear projectiles?

Does no-one on this team know how to code anything with gravity? bounce? ANYTHING?!

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #43 on: 2017-07-21, 08:39 »

Well you've inspired me to a little satire if nothing else.  Slipgate - Smirk

"Can't even code bouncing projectiles.  #FakeQuake is terrible.  Going to play some #UT instead.  Sad." — Donald J. Trump (@unrealDonaldTrump)

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #44 on: 2017-08-22, 16:31 »

Willits has revealed the full line of Doom models:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYEcxEJlDzQ/

To me the OG Doom version doesn't really nail it. It looks too much based on the box art rather than the in-game sprite, and more importantly it just looks stiff, awkward, and lacking in dynamism.

The Q3 version isn't that accurate to Q3 either, considering that the Q3 model has so many more details to work with. The colors are so muted that it looks closer to the Doom 1 sprite, except for the gray pauldrons which aren't accurate to either Doom 1 or Quake 3.

The Doom 3 version actually looks great, but it's still Doom 3 so I doubt people will ever use it.

Here's hoping they add a helmet-less option to the cosmetic unlocks.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #45 on: 2017-08-22, 19:06 »

I kind of like the Doom box art guy on the far right.  I kind of agree on the Q3 Doomguy.  I just wish they'd cover up his abdomen.  It was only exposed on the box art because his armor was torn open, but it became an unspoken meme:  "Where to shoot Doomguy?  In the bellybutton!  It's his only weakness!"  Doom 3 guy does look pretty awesome.  I'd use him, just to annoy people that hate Doom 3.

I'll be happier when I see these guys in motion, and what they sound like.  I'm really hoping for proper sound sets for Doom box art guy, Q3 Doomguy, and Doom 3 guy, but the other characters like the Qdude all talk, so I'm wondering what voice they'll give our silent protagonist.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #46 on: 2017-08-26, 07:41 »

I now have Quake Champions through Steam, and I can confirm there is a helmetless Doomguy option for the classic model.  Doom Slayer's Berserk skill lets him throw punches and run VERY fast for a short time.  The double-jump passive is a lot more useful than I expected, and can even help get some strafe-jumping acceleration going.

I've not been able to do much Champions so far as right now it's hard to find a match, and the one match I did find resulted in the game crashing shortly after starting warmup.  That could be related to my video drivers being outdated, so I'm updating them now.  Prior to crashing, I roamed around empty maps using the custom game option just to get a feel for things and experiment with a few champions.  The tutorial included is nice as you get to try the weapons out against practice targets - floaty colored blobs - and gives a chance to test configs without having to join a live match and get fragged constantly.

It's too early for me to say anything more than that.  It's $29.99 for early access, and you do get all the champions plus some Quakecon swag.  That's about it for now, really.

Edit:  I finally got a match in.  I didn't do so great the first time out.  I got a total of 16 frags.  The top player got 46.  I came in 4th.  Most of my frags ended up being from the machinegun as I'd get ambushed before I could get another weapon.  I couldn't hit anything with the railgun.  Shots that looked like they should have hit ended up missing.  I managed to get the Quad once, and for doing 4x damage... I splashed the same player four times with quad rockets before they died.  I did get about 4 kills with it.  I managed to get a few berserk kills in as well.  I kept getting fragged by the same player a lot early on, which was a bit annoying as I kept spawning near him and he was a damage sponge.  I'm starting to dislike the Scalebearer character for this, but then again, this is my second time playing total, including the closed beta, and I have no idea how long other players have been at it.  I don't remember if I ever finally killed him or not.  Hopefully I got him with the Quad or a berserk punch.  A funny thing late in the match, one fellow was using BJ and kept dual-wielding on me.  I ran into him 3 times like this and killed him with the wimpy machinegun all 3 times.  Poor Wolfguy never gets a break.  I can also confirm that Doomslayer has absolutely no voice.  No pain sounds, no jump or impact vocalizations.  You hear the suit double-jump jets, and make impact noises, but he's absolutely silent voice-wise, except for his ability.  When you go berserk it plays the Doom '16 theme and I think I heard part of the Doom 3 berserk scream mixed in.

That's it for first impressions.  I suppose 4th place isn't so bad for the first time out with the Doomslayer, but I expected to do better.
  Doom - Exclamation
« Last Edit: 2017-08-26, 08:47 by Phoenix » Logged

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #47 on: 2017-09-01, 03:57 »

Yeah, I'm still salty about the rail's need for divine providence. I can land hits with the machineguns all day, but the rail just doesn't happen.

The LG is still WAAAAY overpowering. It feels like it's got more knockback than the original shaft, as I've had multiple instances of people sneaking up behind me and vaulting me across the map.

Rocket splash is trash.

Doomslayer's ability is nice, but I wish they'd do away hooking my cursor.. I don't WANT to have my mouse stuck to the nearest target, I want it to point where they'll BE..

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #48 on: 2017-09-02, 00:55 »

This was posted today:

From Andre 'MoralEmperor' Carlos (Quake Champions Community Manager)

Devs 'Ask Us Anything' #5 Answers - Sept 01, 2017

Hey everyone!
Thanks again for all the great questions this week; here are your answers from the team at id Software. If you didn't get your question answered this time, stay tuned for a future questions thread.
(And we might pull some of the really good ones from the previous thread that were posted after the deadline!)

[Questions answered by Lead Designer Adam Pyle, Programmer Mike Rubits, and Studio Director Tim Willits]

Q. When are you going to fix the netcode and hitreg for good? Do you intend to fix rocket launcher no-hit issues (direct and splash damage), or do you think it works fine as it is? What about rocket despawn? When will you fix the stuttering a lot of people experience?

A. The terms "netcode" and "hitreg" are terms that cover a wide swathe of observable issues, some that don't even involve the network at all. I'd like to take this opportunity to talk about where we're at, and where we're going, so here's a (not so!) brief summary of what's going on!

We started off the Closed Beta period with two major systems being handled on the client: movement authority, and shooting authority.

This is a perfectly valid tech design decision, and plenty of high profile multiplayer games have released this way, but we felt uncomfortable with the trade-offs for a game like Quake.

We made the decision to start moving systems over to server authority and client prediction, which is similar to previous Quake titles.
This is a change that can occur in pieces, and we're still not completely there yet.

One area where we should be seeing more changes is literally how the server is detecting hits (so the term "hit detection" is actually appropriate here!)

We currently use an animation-based system where we simulate player animations on the server, and rig up a lower-polygon, fatter version of the champion, independent from armor selection.

For the pace of our game, we felt the additional server CPU usage, and the technical complexity of having to sync up the state of the animation bones and blend tree over the network was not worth having the ability to match up hits to the specific animation.

Our solution is to transition to using a static mesh for each character state. (moving, strafing, crouching, jumping, etc.) This also makes supporting rollback much simpler, and should result in a more reliable experience on higher pings.

On the subject of rockets, which have been a sore spot for both us and our players, a couple of patches back we made two major changes: we fixed an issue that was causing extra latency when firing rockets, and we also started predicting rockets and local knockback on the client.

This is something that's not been a part of Quake before, but we believe that this will make for a much better experience on a non-LAN environment, especially while rocket jumping or using projectile abilities.

This surfaced some problems with animations simulating on the server differently than the client, and is what the initial cause of rockets not doing damage was.

We've already addressed this by moving rocket collision over to the new static mesh system described above.

What remains known now is strictly a client-side issue where the client incorrectly predicts a hit that the server will never detect as valid.
This can even occur on LAN, where latency is not an issue.

Once this is fixed, this should improve rockets, however due to the nature of client-side prediction, there may still be cases where it predicts wrongly. We'll continue to monitor the situation past this change, and see if any other issues surface.

Additionally, we have also identified a potential fix that causes other players to appear more jittery, even at high framerates. The proposed fix is currently in development, and we're waiting to evaluate the effect it has, but due to the unstable nature of the Internet, sometimes it's not possible to evaluate a fix without actually going through with the implementation and trying it in a real world environment.

Finally, we've also improved bandwidth consumption. I've attached a graph below, measured in a live 8 player TDM over a period of 60 seconds at ~160FPS.
https://cdn03.bethesda.net/forum/uploads...6e812c77-cee2-48ac-963c-5c80350ceecf.png

We've reduced the amount of game logs the client sends overall, and have gated certain logs to only trigger collection when the client or the server detects specific issues within the game.

Bandwidth usage should continue to improve from here, although we do not consider this issue to be resolved yet.
Hope that clears up some questions!

Q. Will we be able to host our own servers through the server browser?
Seems like people have a bad experience on your servers, with high ping. If we can host our own, we can get lower ping and good servers.

A. We are continually working to improve the network experience for all users, this includes server providers and the code-side, but allowing users to host their own servers is not something we’re focusing on at this time.

Q. In the last livestream, Tim said offline mode wouldn’t be implemented because it’s not secure. Could you develop a stripped-down server binary available offline that only allows for one human local player connection? Would this be a feasible way to have offline mode with bots?

A.Unfortunately, this particular suggestion would not be feasible, because if you lock it down it can (and will) be hacked, hence it remains a security issue. That said, we’ll continue to look at other possibilities in the future.

Q. What kind of feedback/bug reports are helpful to the dev team to fix netcode issues?
A. Please include your KSIVA in any and all bug reports. You can locate your KSIVA on the watermark at the bottom of your screen. This is the most useful thing, as this code allows us to look up your game sessions, which provide a wealth of information.

Q. What do you think about QWC pro players almost exclusively using Sorlag, Nyx, Slash, Anarki, and sometimes Ranger and Galena? Would you consider buffing other champions to also be useful in team/duel conditions?

A.For our very first world championship, we are encouraged with the diversity of Champion picks. That said, we do recognize that we had a few Champions that weren't selected often and we have a lot of small balance changes coming that we hope will bring even more diversity into player's lineups. We also understand that there will always be some Champions that remain more popular with pro players and others that are popular among more casual players.

Q. Slash’s ability automatically moves her forward; will this be changed to allow her to use the ability in the direction she’s already moving? (Backwards, strafing.)
A. Yes, we plan to keep the speed boost, but not force the direction.

Q. Are you working on a fix to Slash’s crouch slide suddenly stopping if you touch a small bump, e.g. mega health on Ruins?

A. Yes, when we find areas in levels we make adjustments to the collision to address the issue. We are also looking into her slide code to help resolve a lot of these issues programmatical, but it is difficult to address it in code without also altering how her slide feels, so we have to be cautious in making these changes, so we will continue to address it via map collisions first when possible.

Q. Will we get a champion with a grappling hook?
A. We all have enjoyed playing CTF from the very beginning, and we are currently making a Champion with a Grappling Hook ability. We look forward to sharing her with all of you.

Q. Will we see any maps with flesh textures? (Like q3dm13.)
A. Not yet at least. We tried incorporating some into the Dimension of the Doomed themed Goroth maps, but in the end, it felt out of place and was removed. If we decided to add fleshy bits, we would introduce a new environment similar to Q3's Gothic Hell style used on Lost World.

Q. When will the next maps be introduced?
A. We have an Ithagnal Duel map coming out this fall.

Q. Any plans to rebalance item locations on some maps, like Lockbox?
A. After we introduced the Tri-Bolt we found some of the more powerful weapons were too centrally located. We plan on adjusting the item layout to distribute the power throughout and encourage players to make use of more of the map.

Q. Are you planning to incorporate more elements of Lovecraftian lore into future maps? A deathmatch in the ice-choked ruins beneath the Mountains of Madness would be a dream come true!
A. Absolutely. Tim loves the lore.

Q. Why is there a longer weapon respawn time on Church of Azaloth?
A. This was just a bug that has since been internally fixed, ready for a future update.

Q. What are your plans for the Tri-Bolt? It’s still useless…
A. We do feel it needs some adjustments. We are currently testing changes to it that we could hopefully roll out soon. Stay tuned for more information.

Q. Will you allow us to change our name through Steam/Bnet?
A. Name changes will occur in-game, agnostic of platform. This will ideally become an automated service players can access. We’ll share more about this as the feature is closer to release.

Q. Do you have any plans on adding zoom sensitivity settings?
A. Yes. Zoom sensitivity is a feature that we need to get in quickly. We are speaking with the team and should be rolling this out soon.

Q. Why can’t we queue for FFA with our friends?
A. Playing against people in your party is open to abuse, where those players can assist you in intentionally raising or lowering your skill rating. As a rule of thumb, you play with people in your party, not against them. You can currently play FFA with your friends in Custom Game.

Q. Are there plans to give players more feedback about their stats in comparison to other players, e.g. leaderboards, divisions, public MMR display or something of the sort?
A. Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Q. Is crosshair customization coming?
A. Yes, this will be coming sooner than later.

Q. Can we get options to resize/customize HUD elements?
A. We do not currently have plans for resizing HUD elements, but we do have upcoming plans that would allow players to change HUD styles.

Q. The general feedback I've had from getting newb friends to play is that they are almost always confused by how they died, who killed them and where they were shot from. Are there any plans for a killcam feature or anything that better illustrates how you died?

A. We understand their struggles, we've seen similar feedback. We have some plans on the backlog that we hope will address these concerns.

Q. For the advanced movement tutorial, would you consider having an indicator similar to the DeFrag cgaz hud or Reflex Arena's accelmeter in order to elucidate to players where they need to move their crosshair?
A. Maybe, but we haven't started on one yet.

Q. Will we be able to join games as a spectator in the future?
A. Yes.

Q.Can we buy shaders with shards?
A. There may be new premium shaders in the future.

Q. The sell price for vanity items is higher than the number of shards you get for duplicate vanity items. Will this be fixed?
A. Yes, this will be addressed ASAP.

Q. Will you rework the rune system? I don’t think runes should drop randomly from backpacks. You should be able to play the champions you like to play and work on their runes first.
A. Runes are intended as a long-term goal for players, but we will continually monitor how players are receiving and completing runes, and look for ways to improve challenges and rewards.

Q. Will there be cosmetic effects? (Abilities, weapon effects, etc.)
A. The QuakeCon 2017 Lightning Gun is our first example of a weapon with cosmetic effects, and we plan to continue adding custom effects to vanity weapons in addition to their custom sounds.

Q. Can we have per-part shaders for headgear, torso, and legs?
A. Different shaders for cosmetics would create some technical and performance issues for players, so this is unlikely to be something we’ll enable any time soon.

Q. Will you adjust the shard price for cosmetics now that there are so many more things you can get in loot chests that don’t have a shard value? (Runes, weapon shaders, etc.)
A. We are continuously evaluating the economy, it is our recommendation that if you see something you want to buy it immediately.

Q. Can we get taunts like in DOOM multiplayer?
A. Taunts have been in Quake games since Quake 2. We are working on Quake Champion taunts and look forward to rolling them out and getting feedback from players.

Q. Any hints about upcoming modes? (Not CTF.)
A. We're exploring options for additional modes. Some examples could be Instagib and Clan Arena, but we're evaluating how well these modes play in Quake Champions. We’re always interested in hearing your suggestions for new modes!

Q. When will we have ranked mode?
A. End of the year.

Q. When will you start sharing more news on CTF?
A. We just announced that we will be adding CTF. We are currently working on the designs to ensure that it plays the best possible way it can in Quake Champions.

Q. When can we expect the gibbing system we had a glimpse of in the Quakecon video?
A. Hopefully by the end of the year, and it'll be worth the wait.

Q. ETA on Vulkan support?
A. Vulkan support is coming along nicely. We're making progress and have the game up and running on it, but we're not ready to share it just yet.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #49 on: 2017-09-02, 04:43 »

So after playing some more here's some additional thoughts on a few of the various champions I haven't messed with before.

I've tried BJ out, and he's decent, but not outstanding.  I don't think the dual wield lasts long enough.  I could get frags with him, but he could use a health boost or something.

I absolutely hate Slash.  I've run into one person using her, and she's hard as hell to hit.  She folds pretty easy if you do decent damage, but she moves too fast to really battle against.  The problem is, to hit her you really need rocket splash, and we know how that's working right now.  I've not tried using the character because I hated her in Q3, and I still do.

Clutch seems to be a walking frag magnet.  I have yet to see a player use it well, and I lost track of how many gauntlet kills I got against anyone using it.  I have yet to see Clutch anywhere but the bottom of the scoreboard.

Galena feels all around fairly useless.  The health totem is a nice concept, but it seems out of place in Team DM where everyone is running the map, and it doesn't really make much sense in DM.  For CTF I could see it being useful, but with her current stats she's just not effective.  She's the most mediocre of the champions.

The champions I see used the most to good effect are Sorlag, Ranger, Anarki, and Nyx.  Nyx seems to be my best so far.  I haven't tried Anarki.  I'm not so great with Sorlag, but I've seen some pretty skilled players use her to great effect.  Sorlag + lightning gun = deadly.  I don't have any complaints about the character myself.

That's about it for now.  I really hope they fix hit detection soon.

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #50 on: 2017-09-02, 06:12 »

Allegedly the "grappling hook character" mentioned in that Q&A is Athena from Quake 2. (finally!)

I've had similar experiences with the overall imprecise feel of the game. It's not nearly as blatantly brokenly laggy now as it was during closed beta, but it feels like there's a subtle, difficult to pinpoint layer of imprecision to everything in the game. Rocket splash seems to barely ever register. The way rockets are predicted, they tend to "hitscan" into you before you have a chance to see them coming first. It feels like a big blanket was thrown over the sound cues. The tight, precise feeling of previous Quake games just isn't there.

I'm still not very inspired by the champion traits and just stick with Ranger cause I'm too lazy to bother spending points to rent other characters. The lack of diversity in the arsenal is still really underwhelming. The tribolt is more like a shittier version of the Quake 4 nailgun than an alternative to the Grenade Launcher. I'd rather see a Q2-style GL in the game, as well as a Q4-style Super Nailgun as separate from a Q3/Q4 style Hyperblaster, hand grenades, and a (improved) Blaster starting option.

Tim Willits' claims about "inventing the multiplayer-only map" aren't making it any easier to like QC.
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #51 on: 2017-09-06, 04:23 »

Apparently there are a bunch of wav files in the game files named for unreleased characters:

https://scontent.ftsr1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v...c60a3ada74aecfd95d5807da&oe=5A5978EF

Athena
Commander Keen
Crash
Daemia
Death Knight
Hunter
Ingrid(?)
Keel
Keen
Klesk
Orbb
Raine(?)
Strogg
Terada(?)
Unumrey(?)
Uriel
Xaero

Many of these are literally just re-used Q3 announcer wavs, but some line up with names in previous leaks:

Athena (grappling hook)
Strogg Infiltrator (drone deployment)
Keel (grenade swarm)
Death Knight (wall of fire)

I doubt the identification of Sarge and Klesk below, but I would guess that Keel is correct, and "Bones" is actually Death Knight:

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #52 on: 2017-09-14, 05:31 »

Perhaps the aforementioned "Raine" is Nicolas Raine, from Rage? It'd be pretty cool to see him and Keen make an appearance.

I have to wonder why there isn't really anyone from the Quake 2 universe already, though. Visor is some "Russian soldier" instead of a Strogg cyborg? Clutch is some random robot instead of Tank Jr?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #53 on: 2017-09-14, 08:28 »

Well, there is a "Strogg" mentioned...
I just hope it doesn't end up looking like a Strogg from Quake 4.
 Fainting

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #54 on: 2017-09-16, 21:26 »

https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/591343

Tim Willits (who single-handedly invented deathmatch maps) might just be more interested in cross-promoting other Bethesda IPs than proceeding forward with appropriate Id characters. As a fan, I'm okay with them representing Id's heritage. Keen and Raine? Fine. Doomslayer and BJ? Doubly fine. Heck, even Galena is a great addition as a Hexen reference. I just sincerely hope this is all idle chatter and we don't end up seeing the Dragonborn (or Vault Bot) in Quake Champions. I don't want to sound like some old grognard, but that would really be off-putting for me.

That said, the game has felt a lot better the past several days. At least for me. For whatever reason, I've seen a huge decrease in ping and FPS across matches, and have experienced none of the rubber-banding that I was seeing every few ticks just weeks ago. Projectiles still feel way off, but are at least visually going where they should. Rockets don't seem to have any splash damage and I can't hit anything at all with the rail. Nails seem pretty inconsistent as to whether or not they hit, but it's hard to notice given how many you generally let fly at once.

At least the game seems to be slowly shaping up into something.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #55 on: 2017-09-17, 01:27 »

I'm not too worried about crossover champions.  If they pulled some crap where only people with said Bethesda title had access to the crossover champion, that would be unacceptable.  Special skins, sure, whatever.  As long as it doesn't affect the core game.

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #56 on: 2017-09-17, 03:20 »

I would be fine with a skin or cosmetic item that referenced an outside game, actually. For example, I would be fine with a Skyrim helmet for Ranger. Of course, I also thought that about Team Fortress 2, and now it's practically a hat simulator. Slipgate - Tongue
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #57 on: 2017-09-17, 04:52 »

If this happens I'm out:

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #58 on: 2017-10-19, 15:43 »

Perhaps the aforementioned "Raine" is Nicolas Raine, from Rage? It'd be pretty cool to see him and Keen make an appearance.

I have to wonder why there isn't really anyone from the Quake 2 universe already, though. Visor is some "Russian soldier" instead of a Strogg cyborg?
Actually in Q3 lore, Visor was never said to be strogg. I agree he looks like a strogg, but the official lore just refers to him as a "warrior clone" possibly from "Terra".

http://quake.wikia.com/wiki/Visor_(Q3)?file=P_visor.jpg

There was a fan-made series of CG movies which said Visor was a strogg modified by the Vadrigar for the arena, but that was essentially fan fiction. The official lore leaves visor's identity ambiguous, but given that the origins of other Q2 characters like Tank Jr, Bitterman, etc. are expressly indicated in the Q3 lore, why would they keep Visor's strogg identity a secret if that's really what was intended?

On this note though, it's funny that the QC mod for Doom has already included Kane as the champion with Q4 movement, while real QC just uses Slash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1KFOsDacUg
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #59 on: 2017-10-20, 21:09 »

That's pretty neat, actually. I had assumed that Kane was being avoided in QC more so because of Id's lack of input on Q4, and overall lukewarm reception at the time. Being a "good" Strogg certainly gives him plenty of interesting angles to use.

Now I await Dangerous Dave's appearance....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: