2024-03-28, 21:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake 25th Anniversary Update  (Read 7317 times)
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« on: 2021-08-20, 21:36 »

It seems that for the 25th anniversary of the first Quake they've updated the game for those who own it in a digital store (Steam etc.)

The update includes the old expansions and a new one called Dimension of the Machine. Also included is a DM map I thought was only on the N64 port, DM8 called Acrophobia.

I figured I'd say something here because I hadn't heard anything until I saw a video on Twitter.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2021-08-21, 05:30 »

You beat me to it!  I've had Quake in my Steam games since the beginning (and the original DOS CD still haunts my nest) but I saw the updated engine and had to give it a shot.  If you already own Quake it's a nice update, and if you don't own Quake WTF are you doing here?  GO GET IT NOW!  Slipgate - Thumbs up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kajet

Vadrigar

« Reply #2 on: 2021-08-21, 20:57 »

Oh right, I forgot to mention that the multiplayer portions of the new version are thoroughly modernized, meaning it's much easier to connect to a server.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2021-08-22, 07:22 »

That and it has built-in bot support, which is always a plus.  Slipgate - Cool

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2021-08-24, 03:41 »

Here's a huge-ass list of why this port is awesome:

- It was developed by Nightdive Studios.
-- These are the same folks that ported DOOM 64.

- It's available on consoles.
-- You can now play Quake while you poop!

- It's included with your Xbox Game Pass subscription.
-- Quake II and Quake III Arena are also included for PC subscribers.

- It includes Scourge of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity.
-- This is true even for Steam users who only own the base game!

- It also includes Dimension of the Past and Dimension of the Machine.
-- DOPA includes a brand new secret level.
-- DOMA is a brand new mission pack altogether.
-- Both DOPA and DOMA were developed by MachineGames.
--- MachineGames is the company behind the recent Wolfenstein titles.

- You can download free add-ons.
-- One of those add-ons is Quake 64, in its entirety.

- Multiplayer's included.
-- You can add bots to matches.
-- You can play online or split-screen.
--- Online multiplayer supports cross-play.

- There are achievements to unlock.

- The whole thing only costs ten bucks.

- It actually includes the original soundtrack(s)!

- You can rebind controls and adjust render options!

- And most importantly, no configuration is necessary!

And here's a small-ass list of why it's not:

- There's no CTF support.  (Yet?)

- Bot support is limited to DeathMatch maps.

- Free source ports already exist for PC owners.

- The netcode is based on the original client, not QuakeWorld.
« Last Edit: 2021-08-24, 04:17 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2021-08-24, 07:55 »

Don't mean to double-post.  Just forgot to add some stuff to the list.

- E2M6 now includes cut content.

- Two new DM maps have been added.
-- The Court of Death / Acrophobia from Quake 64
-- The Edge from Quake II / Quake Arcade Tournament Edition?

But seriously, if you like Quake, and you probably do since you're on this forum, you should pick this up or check out the new port if you already own the game on Steam.  It's pretty clear just how much love has been put into this thing, and if the recent DOOM remasters are anything to go by, there'll be plenty more!

Kajet

Vadrigar

« Reply #6 on: 2021-08-28, 20:14 »

Well lookie here, a nice little review of Dimension of the Machine, the new expansion, I haven't watched it all but it certainly makes me wanna play it myself.

I believe I have forgotten how to embed youtube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2iBsqnV8yM
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2021-08-28, 21:23 »

Actually the forum doesn't allow embedded video content, so that's not your memory.  Slipgate - Tongue

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2021-08-28, 21:25 »

- E2M6 now includes cut content.
That explains why I did not remember that section!  I thought it's just because I hadn't played Quake in a long time.   Slipgate - WTF

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2021-08-29, 02:18 »

Quake was never one of my go to titles. I played it, i beat it but it wasn't something i went back to over and over like Doom or Duke 3d. That being said i really like this new release and i'm in the process of reacquainting myself with Quake because i think it has unrealized user map potential. I'm not real keen on the idea of learning a new engine but I'm seriously considering "Dick moves-Brown Edition"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2021-08-29, 09:09 »

Considering how vanilla Quake's maps are basically one dick move after another - especially Sandy's - that would certainly fit right in.  Slipgate - Wink

Orbital-S2D

Shambler

RnR Boss

« Reply #11 on: 2021-09-01, 04:32 »

I already unlocked all the achievements Slipgate - Laugh

GET THAT GUY GET THAT GUY, PEW PEW PEW!
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #12 on: 2021-09-01, 18:07 »

It's been years since I've played much of Quake 1, and even longer for the original mission packs. Though I'm pretty sure I ran through Dimension of the Past when it was first released. That said, I spent last week playing through the entire collection (and Abyss of Pandemonium) for context.

I was super impressed with Dimension of the Machine. The areas were all fairly unique to one another, and certainly unique within the framework of the original game. They never felt out of place though. Most had interest gimmicks as well, whether it be prison spaceships, crumbling forges, inverted mausoleums, etc. Beautiful lighting was abundant. The "hard" difficulty seemed harder than it used to, lol.

I know a lot of people are probably hoping for a full remake, or a proper Quake sequel, but I'd be perfectly happy if MachineGames simply continued to create new episodes for the rerelease. Maybe not so far-fetched of a hope given it seems to have at least a form of mod support via the Quake64 add-on.
Kajet

Vadrigar

« Reply #13 on: 2021-09-06, 02:46 »

I just finished the vanilla campaign, I've had the expansions for a while but never really got into them, going back into the old versions are not exactly easy after all.

Mostly because of some things that haven't been implemented at the time
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #14 on: 2021-09-08, 23:17 »

Finished the entire game in order last week - DotM feels like it comes from a completely different game (many of the textures do, as it happens Slipgate - Tongue) and might give casuals an idea as to what they're missing on the source port side of things. Audio issues aside, the port is pretty great, but then it's Kaiser, Quasar and the crew so you'd expect nothing less. Actually grabbed it on PS4 and Switch so I can play it anywhere.

Also, hi, everyone  Doom - Love

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #15 on: 2021-09-12, 20:31 »

I haven't played through everything yet, but I did finish both campaigns by MachineGames. 

Dimension of the Past definitely feels like Quake.  I'm fine with calling it the 5th episode.  My favorite level from the pack was probably The House of Doom.  I kept getting Wolf3D vibes from it.  As for things I disliked, I wish MachineGames would have done more with the story.  If you've played the final level, you know that it hearkens back to something that happened in the base game.  It would have been interesting if your actions resulted in some kind of temporal paradox.

I haven't played Eviternity but I feel like MachineGames was definitely inspired by its aesthetics.  Put simply, Dimension of the Machine is gorgeous and it really showcases what's possible with a limit-removing port.  I like how each episode only has a few levels, and for the most part, they stick to a particular theme.  There are way too many damn enemies in each map, but I will say this is probably the first time I've felt like Quake's shotgun was really showcased.  Dimension of the Cultists is probably the best episode because it does something that hasn't really been done since TNT: Evilution.  Dimension of the Stonemasons is probably the worst.  (Be prepared to quick-save.  Often.)  Overall though, the pack is absolutely worth your time!

Also, I'm curious to know what everyone's thoughts are on the changes to the Nightmare difficulty.  According to one of the developers, they took inspiration from the Copper mod for Quake.  I don't mind the health drop necessarily, but I'm not really a fan of breaking demo compatibility.  I feel like Nightmare / Copper should be a separate difficulty.  (Much like how the DOOM remasters have a UV+ difficulty.)

Lastly, I wish to correct something I said in an earlier post.  The remaster's netcode may not be based on QuakeWorld but it has definitely been modernized.
« Last Edit: 2021-09-12, 20:37 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: