2024-04-27, 10:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake 2 Remastered  (Read 6102 times)
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #20 on: 2023-08-19, 22:09 »

That's one of the most baseless and insulting things I've read in a while, Woodsman, and I read YouTube comments for amusement.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #21 on: 2023-08-19, 23:34 »

well when i feel insulted i like to give some back personally
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #22 on: 2023-08-20, 00:55 »

I'm really loving the call of the machine levels. I never really got into the quake 2 campaign back in the day but these levels beefed up the action a lot and they look great. Really brings out the toxic gamer bro in me. Makes me want to eat Doritos and drink mountain dew and make fun of feminists on the internet.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #23 on: 2023-08-20, 01:58 »

lot of younger hiper people working there now who might see the unreal series as a symbol of "toxic gamer bro culture" because of the inherent competitive nature of arena shooters and were pleased to bite their thumbs at "boomers" like us.

Well, I hope it was just a mistaken business move.  If it's what you mention above, they can kiss my finely feathered avian ass.  Sipgate - Evil

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #24 on: 2023-08-20, 02:26 »

well without a proper explanation I'm free to speculate and from any obligation to be charitable
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #25 on: 2023-08-20, 14:43 »

A pretty decent number of the folks you decided to slag without reason are from the group that spent their younger years hurling racist and homophobic slurs at people while playing Call of Duty on Xbox Live.

I really doubt there's anything to what you've said, especially since they're not the ones who would ultimately rubber stamp such a decision.
« Last Edit: 2023-08-20, 14:51 by Makou » Logged

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #26 on: 2023-08-20, 20:25 »

Yeah i remember those people too, the inane chatter and gibberish made it impossible for me to enjoy call of duty online after the first release,i also remember when how they became sanctimonious twats when it became cool and hip to be "progressive". I know when those people came of age and got jobs in the gaming industry it became normal for game developers to look down on their customers. Maybe you haven't noticed, maybe you approve but i don't care to be lectured by game developers because they are over compensating for saying the word fag too much in the late 90s.
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #27 on: 2023-08-20, 20:31 »

and if you think there is no reason to "slag" whatever that means, epic games you haven't been paying attention the last ten years 
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #28 on: 2023-08-20, 21:11 »

There is plenty of reason to drag Epic Games, and any number of major corporations, though the mud. This ain't it.

Correlation is not causation.

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #29 on: 2023-08-20, 21:14 »

well like i said, without a proper explanation which would have at least shown some respect for long time fans, I'm left to speculate and not inclined to be charitable in my speculation. A little transparency goes a long way.
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #30 on: 2023-08-20, 21:19 »

You can lack charitability towards a corporate entity without resorting to dragging a group of people you disagree with -- a group of people which really has not impacted you, personally, in a negative way, unless you're a bigot and you dislike that it's not possible to be a bigot without being called out (which is good, btw) -- through the mud. That's just unnecessary.

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #31 on: 2023-08-20, 22:19 »

I don't think we are referring to the same people. You think I'm talking about people genuinely concerned with real bigotry and I'm not . I'm referring to smug, malignant narcissists who make frivolous character attacks and false accusations of bigotry because they are drunk on an unearned sense of righteousness. I don't appreciate the stereotyping of gamers that way, i think it's mostly untrue and unfair i don't think the outrage from faux progressive game developers to be at all genuine, i think they are just lashing out at a consumer base that are rightfully disappointed by an increasingly disappointing product. You don't need to take it personally i didn't know you were on the cool kids when we started this.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #32 on: 2023-08-20, 22:45 »

You're both right to a degree.  It's not as simple as "All Zoomers are Twats" or "All Boomers Are Dull", as the malcontents of society would want people to think.  Nobody has to take a "side" on this.  There's plenty of toxicity in the gaming world without us turning on each other.  That's what the trolls would want us to do to "prove they're right".

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #33 on: 2023-08-20, 22:48 »

well to clarify age wise i was thinking more of junior millennials than zoomers, people who started in working in earnest around 2008-2010 
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #34 on: 2023-08-20, 23:03 »

I was kind of making fun of the absurdity of the labels.  Like the whole "Boomer" thing.  Baby boomers were born between 1946 and 1964.  Most people using the "Boomer" label as an age insult are aiming it at Gen X'ers.  They say "Boomer Shooter" for games like Doom and Quake.  Sorry kids, the only Boomer Shooters were Korea and Vietnam.

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #35 on: 2023-08-21, 01:17 »

I never understood the whole "Boomer Shooter" phrase. It's not even intended as an insult, and covers everything from Wolfenstein 3D to Quake 2 and even beyond, depending on who you ask.

It makes no sense.

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #36 on: 2023-08-21, 01:20 »

it just rhymes thats all
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #37 on: 2023-08-23, 14:20 »

Did anyone else play through the N64 levels?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #38 on: 2023-08-23, 21:22 »

I did.  I had played an emulated version a while back, so this was my second time through.

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #39 on: 2023-08-26, 18:57 »

I liked them. I honestly was never into the original quake 2 campaign to the point where i never actually finished it. It always felt a little sloggy because i had to go back in forth constantly in extremely samey environments, but the N64 maps were clean and to the point. Now i totally love the new levels, the ability to make larger maps with an appropriate amounts of enemies  totally changes the game for me. That was kind of my problem with Quake 1 too i didn't care for the "we can't have the same number of enemies with killing the users system so we're just going to make the enemies that are here really spongy" thing didn't work for me at all. But that's the benefit of having a game stay active for so long, the level design can evolve with the hardware.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: