2024-04-27, 15:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Little nit picks hehe  (Read 6893 times)
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« on: 2003-11-11, 16:00 »

Not to be nit picky but didn't the health potions in Doom give you 1+ boost of health?  In Gen its 5+

I dunno if it would upset the balance issue though if you were to change it to 1+

I think the Earth pistol could be a little bit faster,  but again I'm unsure of balance issues with that.

Are most of the ammo pick ups true to the original?  I noticed that when yu get a Combat Shotgun for Doom, you get 8 shells with it, just like the original.  When you pick up a shotgun ammo box for Doom, you get 20 like the original.  Are all of the ammo and weapon pick ups accurate like this?  For some reason, I can't remember how many shells your supposed to get with a Q2 Super Shotgun, but it acts like Quake 3's ammo system of most weapons starting with 10 shots.

Just a bit curious  Thumbs up!

-JL
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2003-11-11, 16:24 »

The ammo count I'm not 100% sure on, most of that has been tweaked for playability.

Fixing doom's health so the potions only give him 1... Honestly, Doom's wussy enough as-is. As far as I'm concerned, that'd only make doom more of a single-hit punching bag than he already is. And with the armor changes pho's been talking about.. *wince* doom will be an exercise in instagib versus the other classes..

The earth luger is just fine, don't forget you spawn with an mp-40.
« Last Edit: 2003-11-11, 22:59 by Angst » Logged

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #2 on: 2003-11-11, 17:42 »

yeah I think your right.  Doom's armor system is pretty weak, so making his health system weak would only make things worse.  Its hard enough picking up those armor skulls and only getting 1+, while everyone else gets 5+ and Earth gets a whopping 10+.

I dunno...the reason why I figured that the luger could be faster is because of the rate-of-fire on WOLF3D's pistol.  It was a bit above Doom's pistol.  But Earth isn't supposed to be an exact replica of WOLF3D.
« Last Edit: 2003-11-11, 17:43 by Rubilacxe » Logged

-JL
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2003-11-11, 18:26 »

Problem is, the earth class is a little bit of wolf3d, a little bit of rtcw, and a little bit of artistic license Slipgate - Tongue

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2003-11-11, 21:22 »

As far as I know, ammo box counts are true to the originals. I'm not sure about initial weapon pickups however.

Earth's pistol is supposed to be weak. There's a reason you start with an mp40 as well. Slipgate - Wink
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #5 on: 2003-11-11, 23:57 »

this certianly doesn't have to be done, especially now since you don't even have weapon animations yet....but I remember it took a lot longer to throw out a Q2 hand grenade.  He had to cock it and everything.

Again, I am unsure if this would upset balance issues with Strogg, or if you plan to do this once animations are complete.  

Also it beeped, even if you held down the trigger.  Unsure if this is possible or not.

Speaking of Strogg, I noticed that when he walks, his viewpoint doesn't bob from side to side like the other classes.  Did you mean to do this?

Finally, I think the blaster made your viewpoint bob slightly when you shot it.  But the blaster is pretty useless, so don't worry about that.

Again, I'm not like expecting these to be in the next release, or to be done at all for that matter.  Just kinda saying "oh, would you be interested in/like to know that"

-JL
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2003-11-12, 02:03 »

Strogg grenades are nowhere near the Quake 2 'nades at the moment. The timer doesn't tick, you can't throw as far (when holding the trigger longer) and the throwing arc is different - so comparing them to the original is kind of a no-no, at least for now :]

None of the classes or their arsenal need be EXACT copies of the original, since that would seriously hurt balance - this is why with the tweaking since 99a, 99c has become that much more fun to play - as long as the class feels right, let's not pick too many nits here :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2003-11-12, 20:46 »

*points to the BETA tag on the mod*

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #8 on: 2003-11-12, 22:18 »

Ignore the nittpicky stuff, the mod is great. I'm sure when it's done it'll be too good even for hardcore nittpickers to whine about. I wish I could come up with something this good.
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #9 on: 2003-11-13, 14:26 »

Oh no, I completely agree with all of you.  The game certainly doesn't have to be EXACT at all.  As long as its fun and balanced, I'm going to enjoy it Slipgate - Smile

But I do think the Strogg "view-point-not-bobbing" should be fixed.  Looks kinda strange.  Unless you mean't for Strogg to not have bobbing.
« Last Edit: 2003-11-13, 14:28 by Rubilacxe » Logged

-JL
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2003-11-14, 10:21 »

Old-school view bobbing, view blends, etc, are just some of the little "finishing touches" we'll be adding later.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: