2024-04-19, 20:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Metallica: St. Anger (You bet it made me angry)  (Read 6609 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2003-11-29, 17:31 »

This has been annoying me for months now, but here goes.

I like most of Metallica's stuff. Practically everything except the album 'Kill em All' is good for me. I'm also not one of those people that says everything after the Black Album sucked, just because it's fashionable to do so.

Songs like Unforgiven give me a cold chill. Orion is a wonderful piece of instrumental work. Hell I even liked the S&M CDs. I only own about 10 CDs, and metallica is four of them.

Enter St. Anger. I listened to most of the album at the local music store, and hated it. Hetfield's voice is barely reconizable at times, as he's trying to emulate the guttera sound of bands like Tool and Disturbed. The music is uninspired, repetitive, and doesn't have the same kind of 'message' that most of their other works did. In short, it sucks.

I recently heard the one song from the CD I didn't catch at the music store, while eating at subway late one night.

Guess what. It sucked too.
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #1 on: 2003-11-29, 18:53 »

It might be fasionable, but it's true.  I haven't bought any of their's since Black.  Kill 'Em All, while not their best work, is a decent piece of work that brims with their style before it became mainstream.
Metal Up Your Ass.
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #2 on: 2003-11-29, 19:12 »

dna, thank you! That single sentence used to summarise all of metallicas work.
It should still summarise it, but it doesnt. St. Anger is why.

'Nuff said

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2003-11-30, 00:02 »

I actually liked Load and Re-Load. Kill 'em all is just not my kinda music. I'm not into screaming rock.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2003-11-30, 00:28 »

I'm with con on this one. As far as I'm concerned, St. Anger is just not metallica.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2003-11-30, 09:55 »

Metallica isn't Metallica anymore.  I don't know what happened to them except $$$, but as soon as they "miraculously" went from Metal (underground and get get on the air to save your life) to "played on every rock station clone owned by Clearchannel" they lost it.  The Black album isn't bad, but it was disappointing in the direction it took.  A lot of die hard metal fans view "...and Justice For All" as the pinacle of Metallica's work, and they're right.  To me it's been downhill from there.  You know it's bad when you have old-school Metallica fans on their own message boards saying "St. Anger is crap".  The only people I've seen defending it are the NuMetal generation that has no flocking clue what Heavy Metal is.  They hear someone screaming into a mic and banging on a guitar, or doing "rap" to power chords and think it's metal.  It stigmatizes metal as everything it's been stereotyped as for two decades now and only showcases the worst gutter-slime filth that people take metal to be.

I contrast this with Iron Maiden's new CD, "Dance of Death", which the cover art sucks but the music is everything classic metal SHOULD be.  Musically it is superior in that they have balanced 3 guitars (they got a lot of flack for not doing more with the third guitar on Brave New World) and you can tell an obvious distinguished melody, harmony, and rhythm - all three necessary to fit the very definition of music.  The songs tell stories, deal with some very passionate issues (Face in the Sand or Age of Innocence) historical tragedies (Pachendale, Montsegeur) and it sounds fantastic.  Where is any of this in Metallica's stuff?  They USED to write powerful stuff.  Look at Eye of the Beholder, To Live is to Die, Master of Puppets, Sanitarium, etc?  I can draw this comparison because I like Maiden but I also like Metallica's old stuff, from "Kill 'em All" up to the Black album.  I know who VENOM is, for crying out loud.  I'm as old-school metal as you get, so I think I've every right to bash Metallica on this.  I've heard only 10 seconds of some of the "songs" on St. Anger.  That was more than enough to know what it was, and what it wasn't.

Metal has gone very very wrong, and Metallica, which used to lead the pack is only leading Metal into extinction if the trend keeps going this way.  I pray to God that Halford hooking back up with Priest ends up with them putting out some good strong Metal.  If it's anything like what he did with Crucible then there's some hope there.  Priest and Maiden have always been the backbone of metal.  I'm hoping a new generation of proper metal can rise from the ashes of all this.

If you want to know what Metal's about, let me quote these words from an old Manowar song:

I made a rock'n'roll sin when I tried giving in
To make money, had to turn down low
They said why be proud don't play so loud
Be like us and get a sound that's real thin
Wear a polyester suit, act happy, look cute
Get a haircut and buy small gear.
That's whan I turned to them and said
HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!
Well it's more to me than just a job
And while you're playing you won't get robbed
NOBODY tells a man how to play
It just ain't that way

All men play on ten.  Never gonna turn down again!

I spit on Metallica, and what they've become.  Eck PTUH!!
 :angry:

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2003-11-30, 10:31 »

Amen, brotha! Preach it!

Seriously, I agree with you 100%. NuMetal just doesn't do it for me. Bands like Tool and System of a Down just annoy me. Disturbed has a couple songs that I don't instantly turn off, but in general, if some of that crap comes on the radio, off it goes.

Now I haven't heard much Iron Maiden, and don't have any, either on CD or mp3. But I wouldn't mind hearing some.
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #7 on: 2003-11-30, 11:24 »

Woah nelly...

Dont call Tool Nu-metal, They're quite old-school as well... Not as old as metallica mind you, but they were before all this nu-metal bullshit.

Tool has always had a genre all of it's own, agreed, they were more 'metal' in the beginning, but they sure as hell aint 'nu-metal' now... There really is no Genre to describe tool, other then "Tool"

System of a down is also unique, as they incorporate some of their armenian (sp?) roots into it. There's some distinct middle eastern riffs and themes in their music, and for that, well, at least theyre doing something Different.

You havent heard any Iron Maiden? What rock have you lived under Slipgate - Tongue I bet you have, and you just didnt know it Slipgate - Tongue
« Last Edit: 2003-11-30, 11:26 by Dicion » Logged
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #8 on: 2003-11-30, 15:05 »

Quote from: ConfusedUs
if some of that crap comes on the radio, off it goes.

Well there's you're problem - quit listening to the radio.  Nothing good will come of it.  Certainly not good music.

I'm your turbo-lover, Con.  Your turbo-lover.
« Last Edit: 2003-12-01, 03:59 by ConfusedUs » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2003-12-03, 05:22 »

Quote from: dna
I'm your turbo-lover, Con.  Your turbo-lover.
You shift him to overdrive? Slipgate - Laugh

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: